PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I had similar thoughts but with a 6mmBR. Not sure on the platform yet though.
There was a black Friday deal too good to pass up on a Savage 10BA Stealth so I picked one up. Put a Vortex Viper Gen II 5-25x50 FFP on top. Went with UTG M-Lok bipod legs. There was a better rated bipod for field use but for bench use the legs seemed more stable. Waiting on the paperwork so I can pick up my OSS HX-QD-762 to put on the end of it.

Reactions: elessar and charf

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I've been collecting vintage typewriters and fountain pens. Running out of shelf space with all the typewriters. Friends from out of town like it when I write letters to them instead of emailing or sending them a message through social media.

Reactions: Bowie

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
I need more info here. How does one get into BUILDING a plane?
Started flying in 1960. Off and on through the years got my various ratings. The homebuilding phenom took off in the "80's. Several companies developed kits to build actual properly designed and engineered aircraft. Van's Aircraft of Oregon kitted several models. You get all the instructions, blueprints and templates and major parts. You build one part at a time starting with the tail section, then control surfaces, then fuselage, the wings, etc.. Several organizations are dedicated to homebuilding IE: Experimental Aircraft Assoc. Lots of local and internet help available from other builders and experts. You end up with an aircraft that will out perform most similar factory built ones, you can do the annual inspections yourself and it's a great pleasure to fly across the country in something you yourself built in your garage. Hoppes

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
None pipe hobbies are plentiful. Hunting, fishing, camping, wood working20180506_161826.jpg. Most time consuming one is rebuilding 1985 k20 truck with my dad and son20200106_170605.jpg. Rebuilt the engine and transmission last fall. Followed buy headers and true dual exhaust. Working on the axels and interior as time and money permit. just finished reupholstering the backseat today.20200410_200100.jpg

jhand45

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
Started flying in 1960. Off and on through the years got my various ratings. The homebuilding phenom took off in the "80's. Several companies developed kits to build actual properly designed and engineered aircraft. Van's Aircraft of Oregon kitted several models. You get all the instructions, blueprints and templates and major parts. You build one part at a time starting with the tail section, then control surfaces, then fuselage, the wings, etc.. Several organizations are dedicated to homebuilding IE: Experimental Aircraft Assoc. Lots of local and internet help available from other builders and experts. You end up with an aircraft that will out perform most similar factory built ones, you can do the annual inspections yourself and it's a great pleasure to fly across the country in something you yourself built in your garage. Hoppes

I had no idea this was a thing and remain impressed. Were you ever nervous taking up something you'd put together yourself? Is there much red tape involved?

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I wrote earlier, my main hobbies are Bikes and Drums. Band can’t play or rehearse because we can’t be together in a confined spare. But, bikes we can do separated out on trails instead of roads. Here’s a few pics I want to share to see some beautiful AZ desert in spring. 73D8B9EC-D7B1-4A92-BFE7-CFE3D6E110F9.jpeg058A68BA-2501-4C71-85B1-1458FC619DBB.jpeg79771F99-77E9-414B-AE8A-49DE5B22266E.jpeg

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing and remain impressed. Were you ever nervous taking up something you'd put together yourself? Is there much red tape involved?
Actually when you make the various parts and put them together they are made much sturdier than the usual commercial aircraft. If you take a course in aircraft building, either metal or fiberglass, you have a good idea what is correct building practice and what is not. There are experts always available to critique your work and correct any significant mistakes. You must follow the plans, instructions and blueprints to the letter though. The Government (FAA) requires that you build at least 51% of the aircraft, keep records and pictures of each item you build and get a final inspection before flying. Then you must fly 25 hours of test flights before leaving your local area or carrying passengers. I took 2 hours of instruction in the companies plane before flying mine. That was 25 years ago. Still flying well. Hoppes

Reactions: jhand45

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Currently, trying to learn ukulele. Competed in bagpipes for over 20 years, but that takes too much commitment and time. Used to do lot of things, but I'm slowing down. Oh, and riding fixed gear track bike.

Reactions: saintpeter

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
There was a black Friday deal too good to pass up on a Savage 10BA Stealth so I picked one up. Put a Vortex Viper Gen II 5-25x50 FFP on top. Went with UTG M-Lok bipod legs. There was a better rated bipod for field use but for bench use the legs seemed more stable. Waiting on the paperwork so I can pick up my OSS HX-QD-762 to put on the end of it.
My last rifle build was a custom AR15 in 204. If I do an AR10 a 6.5 will be on the short list. The 6.5 is a great choice. Since the coronavirus lockdown, I finished up a Glock 17 build as I'm stuck inside anyway.

Reactions: shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.