PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
To me, smoking a pipe is all about contemplating the experience. So, as a noob, I feel like I need to smoke a bit of each major type of tobacco type by itself. VA, burley, Latakia, perique, etc. My thinking is it may help me understand the flavors, and maybe some nuances of a blend. When I smoke now, it's a matter of like or no like. Not why.I realize in each type, there will be major differences in flavor and taste, even batch to batch, year to year.

This leads to a barrage of questions: Anyone else do this? What was your experience? Is such a thing available? Is it even worthwhile?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
To me, smoking a pipe is all about contemplating the experience. So, as a noob, I feel like I need to smoke a bit of each major type of tobacco type by itself. VA, burley, Latakia, perique, etc. My thinking is it may help me understand the flavors, and maybe some nuances of a blend. When I smoke now, it's a matter of like or no like. Not why.I realize in each type, there will be major differences in flavor and taste, even batch to batch, year to year.

This leads to a barrage of questions: Anyone else do this? What was your experience? Is such a thing available? Is it even worthwhile?
I think it would be very worthwhile but I’m not patient enough. I’d rather shotgun blast numerous blends into my cellar without discretion.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's also what I once tried to do. Didn't entirely succeed as there are some ingredients that I'd rather not smoke by themselves (yes, I've heard some daredevils have smoked straight perique). Virginia is one of the few I think is offered as a 100% component of a blend, and it's my understanding that Lane's BCA is 100% black cavendish. Beyond those, no, I haven't smoked individual tobaccos.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think you’d be better suited to try the different varieties of VAs and Burleys etc to help pick those out.

Reactions: rushx9

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
OK, ordered Sutliff Red VA ribbon, Stokkebye 702 Burley, Stokkebye 310 black latakia. Also ordered navy flake and VA slice. I swear I'm gonna try the latakia straight, a little at a time, with wife (RN) standing by in case I turn green.
Ain't self quarantine a blast?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
To me, smoking a pipe is all about contemplating the experience.
I just fill a pipe to smoke it and enjoy the flavor of the overall blend. No splitting hairs over the components.

You could get pretty close with some tobacco types, though. I hear that Pirate Cake is ~80% latakia! :eek:?
70% and after a decade, it dies down quite a bit. I have some from 2008 that's quite mild.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I think it's a cool idea and one I have considered. I doubt you would need to try all of the different types, maybe just the varietals that generally only appear as a condiment. Latakia is pretty unmistakable even when its presence is negligible. I struggle to distinguish perique and don't really know its raw profile, so that's one I would like to try straight (though just a few retrohales should acquaint me with it). You may want to also consider playing with like tobaccos offering varied curing methods. But.......then you might become curious about smoking qualities each tobacco presents given differing pipe shapes/material. Carrying it further, how much does age alter a tobacco's profile? Welcome to TAD/PAD.........goodluck. ??

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You wouldn't have to read here long to get a reasonable idea for what the favorites for each genre are. You could buy 3 of each, 15 to 18 blends, and you've have a pretty reasonable representation. That should be less than $200. Taste is so subjective, that seems to be the only reasonable solution to me. You're a bit in danger of overthinking it. Just get some different blends, try them, enjoy them and go from there.

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
No splitting hairs over the components.
It's a personality flaw in me. All the way back to when I was an airman in the Air Force. I HAVE to know how something works and sorting the components is part of it. :rolleyes:

You're a bit in danger of overthinking it. Just get some different blends, try them, enjoy them and go from there.
Well said, and what I've been doing so far. But you know what they say about curiosity.
I've also gotten to try some blends that are well out of production because my friend has one heck of a cellared stash going back some 20 years. Some of the flakes are stout!

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I totally think it's worthwhile and since you are wondering if you should, then you will thank yourself later when you did.

I experiment with home blending and processing raw leaf. I have tasted all the major types of tobacco, basically in the same form a blender or tobacco house would receive a leaf. That's what I use for my "experiments".

Anyway, trying each of those or straight blending types will give you a better idea of what you like in any given blend and you will be able to pick out what is used in a blend. You can then use that knowledge for buying future blends for yourself, or you might even like to mix things up yourself and come up with some of your own blends. There is also the possibility of having those tobaccos on hand to spruce up a purchased blend you find lacking or you might even enjoy the simplicity of a single leaf smoke with some burley or Virginia. (Latakia and perique aren't best served alone and straight Kentucky will kick your ass, but who knows what you might like?!)

So many possibilities. Some people like to just enjoy the smoke, some like to analyze it and some create it. I'm a bit of all three and maybe you are too.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
@RedZeppelin Good luck to you, trying to understand why you like what you like

That's way more brain effort and commitment than I could put into smoking a pipe (& might even detract from the purpose of pipe smoking)

Even some of the stuff I don't like when I first try it I end up liking later, my head would fall off if I tried to work that one out!

Reactions: BROBS