PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Have been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a old boy lighter. Before i did i thought i would see how people like them that already have them. Any problems or things i should know before i buy one?

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I've got an Old Boy that I love and use frequently, I mostly smoke outdoors or in my car.

It is true that it's not great if there is any kind of wind conditions, fan's, medium-strength air movement it will blow out or not light just like a bic, but it's not so sensitive. If you cover it or if it is a nice still, or light wind day out it will work great!

If it's truly windy out you want a zippo with a pipe insert for sure!

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
See this is why i asked. I smoke outside or inside if weather isn't good and didn't like that my bic kept going out. I have a zippo with a pipe insert that works fine. Only issue im having is i have a silver rim on 1 of my pipes and when fluid gets low im setting it on the rim. It left a few small scratches on the silver and I didn't want to keep doing that. Thanks guys i appreciate the wisdom.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I love my Old Boys. They feel great in the hand and are obviously well made with extremely high manufacturing and production tolerances. I'm also a fan of my Kiribi Kabuto which, though not quite as refined, is also very well made and comes at a friendlier price. As mentioned above they can be a challenge to use if there is a breeze present with the Kiribi performing a little better in this circumstance due to it having dual jets. That being said, I also love my Zippos with the Thunderbird soft-flame pipe inserts I use in all of them. They take butane and have never caused any issues.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I love my Old Boys. They feel great in the hand and are obviously well made with extremely high manufacturing and production tolerances. I'm also a fan of my Kiribi Kabuto which, though not quite as refined, is also very well made and comes at a friendlier price. As mentioned above they can be a challenge to use if there is a breeze present with the Kiribi performing a little better in this circumstance due to it having dual jets. That being said, I also love my Zippos with the Thunderbird soft-flame pipe inserts I use in all of them. They take butane and have never caused any issues.
Was wondering about the quality of the kirbi with it being way less cost. Ok sound pretty simular might have to check them out. Its that or make sure zippo is full before smoking that pipe. Thank you all

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep they should buff out easy its just a nice pipe and i dont want to scratch it any more. I know its ment to be used and enjoyed though. Now that i noticed it im sure i can avoid more scratches.
Unavoidable. Silver pipe accents will show marks from the most delicate of handling. I keep these mar free and clean of oxidation with a Jeweler's cloth. An inexpensive investment to keep them shiny.?

20200407_222042.jpg

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
When I got back into puffing, I bought a butane pipe lighter insert for my old Zippo brass case (some 20-odd years old), but a kind relative made me a gift of a Kiribi (the chromed art deco-style model, whose name escapes me at the moment). The Kiribi has performed flawlessly since I received it, and I love the dual-jet design for the flame.

It's true that it doesn't work as well in a breezy outdoors situation, and I smoke outdoors almost exclusively, so the Zippo gets more use in the winter/spring months. The Kiribi is a handsome little devil, but I frankly would have never bought it for myself, as the Zippo works just fine for me. I also don't hesitate to take the inexpensive Zippo along for trips, while I leave the Kiribi home because I'd really hate to lose it.

My advice? If you're spending your own money for a lighter, get a Zippo Armor pipe lighter and be done with it. Spend the rest of the money you'd have spent on a Kiribi on 'baccy for your bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.