Are Cuban Cigars Sold From Switzerland Different?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I heard that Cuban Cigars sold from Switzerland (and Spain) retailers are of higher quality. I don't know if this is true or just an hurban legend. Maybe cigars sent to these two countries are going to have a more strict quality control? Anybody has an idea if this is true or not?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Like any product the quality is dependent on the manufacturer and the materials used, Or am I misunderstanding your question? There are good Cubans and bad Cuban cigars. Y ou have to ask yourself, "Would a manufacturer make a "special" cigar for two small markets?" I think someone may be playing you, I've been wrong in the past though.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My local tobacconist (Canadian) once told me that the cigars sold in Europe tend to be stronger, even if only a mite. We were discussing the Don Diego brand and I was telling him that a Don Diego I had in Berlin floored me; he replied by saying that he has had both the Don Diegos sold in Europe and the ones sold in the American market, and found the former stronger than the latter.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
["Would a manufacturer make a "special" cigar for two small markets?"]

Definitely possible, for example in completely different markets like fashion manufacturers keep different product lines for different markets. In the case of Cuban Cigars if there is any difference I don't think it would be in the way they are made but in the quality control. Given Cuban Cigars are notoriously affected by bad QC it could be possible the ones for a definite small niche market get a better QC. But again I don't know if it is true or not. It would be interesting to know if the ones purchased from Switzerland and Spain have less QC issues.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Back when I was a regular cigar smoker I bought a few hundred cuban cigars from Switzerland. Many made in 02-04 which was years then known to be troublesome. Had my fare share of duds, unevenly rolled, splitting when lit etc. Far more than when buying cubans locally in Sweden, that were made in 06-09.

So in my experience and guesstimation its more of god and bad years than different QC for different markets, at least it doesn't speak for better QC for the Swiss market.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No. If anything, the UK would get the higher quality product. The process and quality control in Cuba is so poor, there's no way they could segregate countries. Years back, Spain supposedly got poor quality which explained why they had some of the lowest pricing. Don't believe false rumors. This was probably started by cigar vendors in Switzerland.

Reactions: danimalia and dcon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something cheesy about sable's post. Some wholesalers in some countries may source better than most. Cuban cigars had such a halo over them for years because of scarcity. warren hit the mark when he said there are "good Cuban cigars and bad Cubans."

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
I heard that Cuban Cigars sold from Switzerland (and Spain) retailers are of higher quality. I don't know if this is true or just an hurban legend. Maybe cigars sent to these two countries are going to have a more strict quality control? Anybody has an idea if this is true or not?
No, it is same badly rolled cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.