PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

G'day all

I hope everyone is well. So I have a little project: I have just got a lovely cased army mount GBD from the 20s sans stem. I was roaming around ebay looking for a suitable old banger of the period from which to filch one when the idea of an amber stem occurred to me. In an ideal world, I would buy an old beater with an intact amber stem and fit that, but that is proving a challenge. So I have bought a couple of old cheroot holders that look suitable and will reduce them down. It may work, it may not, but if the amber is sound, I see no reason why it shouldn't work out. Then I got to wondering about a spigot. I'm a sucker for a bit of silverware, particularly if paired with amber and a spigot would look lovely on the pipe. But I have no idea how to get one. Can anyone tell me if they can be purchased pre-fabricated? I'm reasonably handy, and could probably fit it successfully, but making one out of sheet silver is way, way beyond my smithing skills. Of course, it won't be a full metal on metal spigot, but it will keep me occupied and if it doesn't work, no harm done.

I'm looking for a Peterson-esque spigot, rather than one that is set flush to the stem. I could get one made, but I'm rather keen to see how far I can go on my own. Any ideas very gratefully received.

Thanks all,

Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks Cossack,

I've tried all the usual suspects. I'm a Brit and we have no pipe supplies stores as such, but I've gone through all the stores Google has to offer, and no dice. We can get rods here, but it's not stem material that I need (although a nice amber pen blank for less then 3K would be nice:)), it's the spigot that has stumped me. I'd rather hoped you could pick them up as you would repair rings and the such, but I've not found any. Problem is I don't really know where to look - it seems pipe suppliers do not have them, and I have tried jewelry suppliers and drawn a blank. Ian Walker is my next port of call, but I'm not sure that he would be too chuffed being asked to make a spigot for a pipe other than his own. And I would rather do it myself as one learns nothing from outsourcing such tasks.

Thanks for your reply.

Geoff

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks Cossack,

I've tried all the usual suspects. I'm a Brit and we have no pipe supplies stores as such, but I've gone through all the stores Google has to offer, and no dice. We can get rods here, but it's not stem material that I need (although a nice amber pen blank for less then 3K would be nice:)), it's the spigot that has stumped me. I'd rather hoped you could pick them up as you would repair rings and the such, but I've not found any. Problem is I don't really know where to look - it seems pipe suppliers do not have them, and I have tried jewelry suppliers and drawn a blank. Ian Walker is my next port of call, but I'm not sure that he would be too chuffed being asked to make a spigot for a pipe other than his own. And I would rather do it myself as one learns nothing from outsourcing such tasks.

Thanks for your reply.

Geoff
Most are made in-factory and rolled off a sheet onto the stem. Hard to replicate that.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks folks. I had hoped that artisan makers would be able to purchase them on an as-and-when basis since some make spigots from time to time in small numbers. I think casting my own is a little beyond me. A bit of silver soldering from time to time, but there is a lot of space between that and casting them. It's a vanity project really and I'm not in any hurry. I'll look out for an old beater to cannibalize if no other solution presents itself.

Thanks for your time.

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.