PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm so not a morning person. But desperation goads one on.:LOL: So hit up Walmart shortly after they opened today. Still no TP there but they had a limited supply of ground beef, so got some. They're wisely now limiting the amount they allow customers to buy. Then hit up a Dollar General as I'd heard they get deliveries on Wednesdays. Got a 4-pack of TP. They had few packs available. Also picked up some garbage bags there as they're one of the new items being snatched up by hoarders around here it seems. Being a retired person, had the luxury of being able to shop early in the am. The poor folks who have to shop later in the day will, unfortunately, be out of luck. I don't know how much of these shortages are due to panic buying and how much is due to supply shortages, but am starting to think the federal government may have to take nearly as much interest in the state of the food and sundry supply chain as they are the medical equipment soon.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know how much of these shortages are due to panic buying and how much is due to supply shortages
With something like TP, it's mostly caused by the panic buying. This is the kind of item that is in fairly constant demand, so it's manufactured at a rate to meet that demand. When there's a spike, because people go crazy and all they can think about is covering their asses, it takes a while for the supply to catch up.

I'm seeing some TP and other paper products making a reappearance on shelves, and all stores are putting limits on purchases so that crazy people don't get to control supply.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, panic buying and some hoarding, that is folks, panicked or not, buying up much more than they know they'd possibly need. Apparently it happens with some blends of tobacco, and some of that is with a view to selling at a sizable profit.
I may have inadvertantly been part of the problem. I have so little free time when I'm working that I try to make my visits to Target as infrequent as possible, maybe 2 to 3 times a year. I go and stock up on TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc to last me for four or more months, then when things get low I make another pilgrimage to stock up for the next four months. I just so happens that I did a run a few weeks before the shit hit the spinning blades and the population indulged in its peculiar obsession. So the stock on the shelves may have been down by a couple of bags at the time the madness began and may have added to the terror of the mob. Sorry about that.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
We have 5 TP factories in the 3 western provinces alone and they have ramped up production promising that Canada will not run out of TP. So far the panic buyers are still keeping up with production where I live. Good news is I am hearing reports of places to the west of us where panic buying is slowing down.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
We have 5 TP factories in the 3 western provinces alone and they have ramped up production promising that Canada will not run out of TP. So far the panic buyers are still keeping up with production where I live. Good news is I am hearing reports of places to the west of us where panic buying is slowing down.
I just wish the retailers would ALL put limits on quantity allowed per customer. I've heard of some small and local places doing such things but the big box stores (WalMart Kroger etc) are simply allowing the mass hoarding to go unchecked.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This is the damndest thing I have ever seen. We have created shortages where none exists. Nothing has happened to change the supply where these items were plentiful, but we have managed to put this into a shortage by panic/hoarding buying.

Reactions: renfield

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes, panic buying and some hoarding, that is folks, panicked or not, buying up much more than they know they'd possibly need. Apparently it happens with some blends of tobacco, and some of that is with a view to selling at a sizable profit.
So, you took a look at my 'cellar' and espied those tins of Vintage Syrian. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
This is the damndest thing I have ever seen. We have created shortages where none exists. Nothing has happened to change the supply where these items were plentiful, but we have managed to put this into a shortage by panic/hoarding buying.
Yeah, this experience has convinced me that a lot of people are just plain dumb.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
We have 5 TP factories in the 3 western provinces alone and they have ramped up production promising that Canada will not run out of TP.
Good to know they have your asses covered.

Was at the store a couple of weeks ago. Saw a woman with a literally 8 foot tall tower of TP in her cart. Facepalm. . .

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Monday night, after a brutally long day at work, we're having dinner at 8 PM. The door bell rings. I look out, suspicously and see a DHL truck. My wife says that must be my Staples order. I open the door, the driver is backing off my porch, hands in the air and says "Staples delivery, sorry its so late in the evening" (and in broken English).

I look down, and see two cases of toilet paper. I look up, and back into the house and scream "we have toilet paper" about four times. Then I pick up one case and dance around with it. The guy almost falls over laughing and says "you are my best customer of the day". My wife and daughter are cracking up inside. I did tell him thank you!

So, we're good for a while.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Monday night, after a brutally long day at work, we're having dinner at 8 PM. The door bell rings. I look out, suspicously and see a DHL truck. My wife says that must be my Staples order. I open the door, the driver is backing off my porch, hands in the air and says "Staples delivery, sorry its so late in the evening" (and in broken English).

I look down, and see two cases of toilet paper. I look up, and back into the house and scream "we have toilet paper" about four times. Then I pick up one case and dance around with it. The guy almost falls over laughing and says "you are my best customer of the day". My wife and daughter are cracking up inside. I did tell him thank you!

So, we're good for a while.
Never thought about Staples as a source of TP. Got me curious so looked on their website. You must have got the last Al, none in stock. Though could have bought a sign off them reading do not throw paper towels in the toilet. :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.