Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Don’t know if you’re kidding or not. I’m also on a motorcycling forum, and when there’s ice on the road I hang up the helmet.

I was mostly kidding. I do belive it might be a stretch to compare a hobby like ridding your motorcyle to smoking pipes. Haha but if you did..

So if its icy you drive your car, instead of ride your bike? If theres a respiratory virus going around you chew tobacco, instead of smoke your pipe?

But what if your only means of transportation was a motorcycle? Or your only source of nicotine was a pipe.

I guess we all vary in degrees of nicotine dependancy.. So what if you dont smoke?, or even condone it, you can still spend your time talking about it.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I should have clarified that "tap water" was intended to mean as sourced from a city municipality.
I don't have proof that putting the pipe down will give me any extra protection from the virus, but to me it just makes sense. Smoke will agitate the airway, and if you are fighting off a respiratory virus, it'll make things worse. Just want to also mention that I have zero nicotine dependancy. I smoke my pipe purely for pleasure. It will not affect me in the slightest to stop for the time being. I understand that this isn't the case for some. Everyone should do what their gut is telling them. Be smart and make smart choices for you and your loved ones

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Radium, uranium, chlorine, fluoride, arsenic, just to name a few.

This is true in my neighborhood. Extra high levels of radium, uranium and fluoride. After a gamma burst at a local lab a few years ago the town was on lock down. Everyone was ok. The adults were fine but the toddlers became strong enough to lift a bus and every last one of them had an award winning smile!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Water in my city is super-hard. I actually have purified bottled water delivered to my home and that's what I use for cooking and ironing clothes.

Still, I'd probably be exaggerating if I were to compare the amount of toxins in my water to that of my tobacco smoke (fortunately, I don't smoke Craptain Black, so my smoking is much more, more, healthier ?), but I could easily point out to other stuff we ordinarily eat or drink, even the meds that are supposed to help you. I was just giving this medication to help my chronic sore throat resulting from GERD, and not only is it not doing squat for my pharynx but it's messed up my digestion royally and I've ended up with worse abdominal aches and stomach discomfort than when I was not taking it.

Reactions: docpierce and Bowie

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I was just giving this medication to help my chronic sore throat resulting from GERD, and not only is it not doing squat for my pharynx but it's messed up my digestion royally and I've ended up with worse abdominal aches and stomach discomfort than when I was not taking it.

I would suggest getting over your aversion to drinking water and start drinking very large quantities of it every day.

And nothing beats baking soda either for such issues...IMO.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Water in my city is super-hard. I actually have purified bottled water delivered to my home and that's what I use for cooking and ironing clothes.

Still, I'd probably be exaggerating if I were to compare the amount of toxins in my water to that of my tobacco smoke (fortunately, I don't smoke Craptain Black, so my smoking is much more, more, healthier ?), but I could easily point out to other stuff we ordinarily eat or drink, even the meds that are supposed to help you. I was just giving this medication to help my chronic sore throat resulting from GERD, and not only is it not doing squat for my pharynx but it's messed up my digestion royally and I've ended up with worse abdominal aches and stomach discomfort than when I was not taking it.
There is a big difference between naturally prepared tobaccos and tobaccos with additives and fillers. Also, inhaling vs not inhaling. But, besides all that, in regard to the corona virus and increasing the probability of surviving it, quitting now is simply not going to increase it by enough to matter. The issue, as disclosed by the current studies, is the immune system's inflammatory response. In other words; it's how the body is attacking the virus, not how the virus is attacking the body. So, your immune system is either already ready or it isn't.

Reactions: BlueMaxx and Bowie

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I would suggest getting over your aversion to drinking water and start drinking very large quantities of it every day.

And nothing beats baking soda either for such issues...IMO.
I DO drink water! Isn't ale 95% water?? ?

Seriously, though, I do drink plenty of water daily. Baking soda, well, it's just like Tums, temporary relief if any.

These PPIs, I keep telling doctors that they don't do squat for me: my stomach is like me: it doesn't like being bullshitted, and gets angry when it is (just like me); artificial attempts to reduce acid production only result in my stomach counterattacking by producing even HIGHER amounts of acid. But, heck, they're the 'experts', right? So they never listen. :rolleyes:

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas

Seriously, though, I do drink plenty of water daily. Baking soda, well, it's just like Tums, temporary relief if any.

These PPIs, I keep telling doctors that they don't do squat for me: my stomach is like me: it doesn't like being bullshitted, and gets angry when it is (just like me); artificial attempts to reduce acid production only result in my stomach counterattacking by producing even HIGHER amounts of acid. But, heck, they're the 'experts', right? So they never listen. :rolleyes:
I read a report once that said the cause of this is because your body is in a constant struggle to maintain homeostasis and interfering with that process causes it to compensate. In your case, decreasing acid production tells the body it doesn't have enough........so it begins producing more to compensate. Some have found relief by, brace yourself, increasing their acidic intake (apple cider vinegar) thus causing the body to naturally decrease reflux inducing stomach acids.

Reactions: docpierce and Bowie

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

I see...I got the impression from some past comments you have made that you drink very little water...just can't tolerate it or something.

You were probably speaking TIC but I didn't catch on.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I see...I got the impression from some past comments you have made that you drink very little water...just can't tolerate it or something.

You were probably speaking TIC but I didn't catch on.
What I can't stand is plain water. So, I must drink flavoured water: lemonade, orangade, fruit juice diluted with Perrier, ale, coffee, ale, tea, ale, and so forth. Reminds me, gotta start working on these V8 low-sodium bottles.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
God came down to you in a dream at say 50 years of age and made you aware that you would be taken to Glory at age 76 years.
However, he also said that if you choose to live a sanitized life of NO ? , ☕, ?, ?, ?, etc. ... you’d live to be 82.
Your choice!?
For me there is no choice...76 yrs sounds just fine to me.??

and 73 with bacon! ?????. I have to say, I'd be ok with dying be in a bacon factory accident where I was crushed to death under a pile of precooked (but not burning hot) bacon as long as a piece landed in my mouth. Or a German prosciutto factory. Either way, it would be peaceful and smell glorious!