PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in (and shortened) Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I've had this pipe for a bit that I got on an auction for CHEAP. It's been thru a lot and felt perhaps I would refurb it and get lucky on a decent deal.
It says "ROSSI"- know that one. Actually have one I quite like I use for aromatics.
BUT I CANNOT FIGURE OUT IS THIS MODEL-
"SMERALDA" - knock off junk perhaps?
I mean it's a mess, I've cleaned the bowl, flavored it a touch for the hell of it, the stem is shot so I put a bit on it- frankly it smokes ok. I do think I need to clean it again as it lends to much flavor from probably me messing with it. It was stale to start. Stem is beat up but I can fix all of this up a good bit if there's a point.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS? Drugstore China Knockoff?

Seriously- "SMERALDA" - sounds like an ugly sister you gotta date so your buddy can get some from her sis- kinda looks it too now that I think about it. Well should have seen it before I buffed it out a bit.

Trash it?

Hmmmm.

Attachments

• ROSSI_SMERALDA.jpg
    ROSSI_SMERALDA.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I really wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog but I kept reading how short their average life spans were and I didn't think I could handle my daughter could handle that sad reality while she was so young.
I lost mine at 12. That's actually pretty good for that breed.
YES- IT SUCKS TO LOSE YOUR DOG. I am not too man enough to say I cried. It's a dog lover place here in CO.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Hell no! It's not a bad looking pipe.
Just gotta get the darn taste out. I tried cleaning the bowl- stayed a touch musty but then mistakenly used some liquor which I forget what it was but was suggested. I guess I can salt it down again. It does smoke well but that stem is a tad loose.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Just gotta get the darn taste out. I tried cleaning the bowl- stayed a touch musty but then mistakenly used some liquor which I forget what it was but was suggested. I guess I can salt it down again. It does smoke well but that stem is a tad loose.
White vinegar will remove the musty smell. I have had to soak a few pipes in white vinegar for a few days but the mildew finally gave up the ghost. No issues with the stain.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
White vinegar will remove the musty smell. I have had to soak a few pipes in white vinegar for a few days but the mildew finally gave up the ghost. No issues with the stain.
After soaking- should there be some more process so I am not smoking a douche (just kidding and lol)? But honest- do I need to anything else or perhaps smoke low end tobacco?
- coming from a much to learn individual

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
After soaking- should there be some more process so I am not smoking a douche (just kidding and lol)? But honest- do I need to anything else or perhaps smoke low end tobacco?
- coming from a much to learn individual
Here is what I have done with success :

1. Scrub out bowl with a toothbrush and a small dowel and very fine sandpaper. 2.
Salt treatment with grain alcohol. 3. Full soak in white vinegar 48-72 hours (I repeated this with one pipe) 4. Rinse and did a salt treatment with grain. 5. Cotton balls and bourbon 6. I smoked with PS LNF alternating with Carter Hall. 7. I used butcher block orange oil, carnauba, and beeswax (Howard Feed-N-Wax) to clean up and "polish" the exterior. It was totally worth the trouble. Reclaimed a few pipes that otherwise were unsmokable.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Here is what I have done with success :

1. Scrub out bowl with a toothbrush and a small dowel and very fine sandpaper. 2.
Salt treatment with grain alcohol. 3. Full soak in white vinegar 48-72 hours (I repeated this with one pipe) 4. Rinse and did a salt treatment with grain. 5. Cotton balls and bourbon 6. I smoked with PS LNF alternating with Carter Hall. 7. I used butcher block orange oil, carnauba, and beeswax (Howard Feed-N-Wax) to clean up and "polish" the exterior. It was totally worth the trouble. Reclaimed a few pipes that otherwise were unsmokable.
AWESOME- VERY USEFUL. Thanks for having me to screw around getting too many ideas. This sounds on spot from what I had read and forgot due to the holidays.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.