PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
What's the best way to strip pipe stain without sanding? I've tried wiping with acetone, iso, even baking soda and vinegar. I'm working on restaining a Kaywoodie and I do not want to sand down the stamping. Do I need to soak the stummel in solvent? I don't seem to be even making a dent in the finish.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Kaywoodies are sometimes hard to remove stain from. Alcohol soak is probably the best route to go, as was mentioned.

I had one from probably the 70’s that had some sort of almost Poly like finish. I used CitriStrip on it. Took a day or two to loosen that stuff. And the briar didn’t have that naked appearance. Just sort of a faded bright pink look...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I asked this very question not too long ago and tried the oxy bath with poor results. It will also bleach any fills in the pipe so that when you restain the pipe they will stand out.

I didn't try the alcohol bath, but I think I've come around that the only way to remove a stain is to sand it unfortunately.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
I didn't try the alcohol bath, but I think I've come around that the only way to remove a stain is to sand it unfortunately.
I have soaked pipes in alcohol as well as acetone, and they always look as if the stain is gone and the liquid has turned a very dark color for a few days, but as soon as I add wax, the stain magically goes back to the same color.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll try the soak next as I have tried everything else but sanding and oxiclean. I will report back on the results.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
And where I'm at now. I will sand if necessary but I want to retain the stamping as much as possible. So I will try a soak first.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Soaking will remove the stamping before sanding. Be careful. If you go lightly with 600 grit especially over the stamping you can retain them.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Soaking will remove the stamping before sanding. Be careful. If you go lightly with 600 grit especially over the stamping you can retain them.
I didn't know that and I appreciate the heads up. Maybe I will try some light micromesh first.

It's not that the pipe needs a restain. I am just trying to build some skills.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
D4C88211-83D7-4A47-9A92-99C14324FDC9.jpeg

59B7DABC-8FDF-491A-9025-EF9C449E2E5E.jpeg
Well I ended up sanding to get to bareish briar. The stamping is a bit lighter but still there. I am happy with the results. I also did an alcohol soak which didn’t do much. It did help to dry out the briar though.

Status
Not open for further replies.