PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Cool. I haven't had too much trouble locating Gawith & Hoggarth so we'll see how it goes.

Regarding Dark Star, it's the most famous dark stoved VA I can think of and has all the standard characteristics of McClelland VAs . . . heavy ketchup smell, overly moist out of the tin. But in addition it's also notoriously tricky to work with. It's too moist to smoke wet but if you dry it a lot it doesn't really like to rub out. It gets brittle and prickly. It's like a handful of needles while loading your pipe. In that regard it's very different than Xmas Cheer (or any other blend). But if you get past the torture chamber aspect of loading your pipe, flavor-wise Dark Star is pretty much the high water mark for all dark stoved VA.
Unfortunately it's crazy expensive now and not really worth the $50-75 per tin it goes for.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Cool. I haven't had too much trouble locating Gawith & Hoggarth so we'll see how it goes.

Regarding Dark Star, it's the most famous dark stoved VA I can think of and has all the standard characteristics of McClelland VAs . . . heavy ketchup smell, overly moist out of the tin. But in addition it's also notoriously tricky to work with. It's too moist to smoke wet but if you dry it a lot it doesn't really like to rub out. It gets brittle and prickly. It's like a handful of needles while loading your pipe. In that regard it's very different than Xmas Cheer (or any other blend). But if you get past the torture chamber aspect of loading your pipe, flavor-wise Dark Star is pretty much the high water mark for all dark stoved VA.
Unfortunately it's crazy expensive now and not really worth the $50-75 per tin it goes for.
Sounds exactly like the Butera Dark Stoved.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Okay, so I'd say you've probably had the same experience you'd get with Dark Star. Butera's a bit cheaper too, so that's probably the way to go.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Incidentally, McConnell is nothing like that. It's just an easy to smoke ribbon.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Actually, GH&C Dark Flake may be 100% VA leaf. I remember there being a thing where someone asked the Gawiths about it and they responded it was all VAs. Air-cured VA from India (I have heard of air-cured VAs, as HH Pure VA and other blends mention it). Dark-fired VA from Malawai, Africa is the other component, and is strange to me as I've never heard of Dark-fired VAs outside of possibly Dark Flake and the ropes. By comparison 1792 and Lakeland mention Kentucky (from Tanzania, Africa). Dark Flake tastes different enough from the SG darks that I guess it could be from different types of leaves, but honestly, I have no idea!

The whole thing is confusing as I remember being a noob and reading that VAs were, by definition, flue-cured and burleys, by definition, air-cured. I have kind of decided that the tobaccos used in the dark flakes are so unique that the usual classifications may not be that useful. Part of why I love Dark Flake is how unique it is, so I guess it doesn't matter as long as they keep making it so good and strong.

Reactions: rushx9 and logs

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Actually, GH&C Dark Flake may be 100% VA leaf. I remember there being a thing where someone asked the Gawiths about it and they responded it was all VAs. Air-cured VA from India (I have heard of air-cured VAs, as HH Pure VA and other blends mention it). Dark-fired VA from Malawai, Africa is the other component, and is strange to me as I've never heard of Dark-fired VAs outside of possibly Dark Flake and the ropes. By comparison 1792 and Lakeland mention Kentucky (from Tanzania, Africa). Dark Flake tastes different enough from the SG darks that I guess it could be from different types of leaves, but honestly, I have no idea!

The whole thing is confusing as I remember being a noob and reading that VAs were, by definition, flue-cured and burleys, by definition, air-cured. I have kind of decided that the tobaccos used in the dark flakes are so unique that the usual classifications may not be that useful. Part of why I love Dark Flake is how unique it is, so I guess it doesn't matter as long as they keep making it so good and strong.
I read that in a few reviews as well. Wouldn’t surprise me, it certainly is unique.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Not necessarily. I have been able to find a few for (relatively) reasonable prices on occasion. I am aware of Dark Star and Blackwoods. Are there other good ones they made?
Thanks for the above recommendations. I have the other two, but I'll check out the Astley's.
Butera Dark Stoved and 2035. Christmas Cheer 1996 was the only one that deviated from the typical script and had it. St James Woods had it. Many of the mixtures has it as a component. Red and Black of course.

Reactions: logs

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Just realized this was an older thread... oh well everything I say still stands.

Another vote for Rhythm and Blues, and Watch City in general. Rhythm and Blues is one of my favorite blends, period. If you message Ernie through the site you'll get a fairly accurate estimate on the next batch release date. Old Dominion is a fantastic VaPer that is usually in stock. 558 is a yummy crumble flake VaPer with Kentucky that is also readily available. I've stuck with VA oriented blends at WCC, but have liked everything I've tried immensely. Don't forget to grab some Rouxgaroux when the next batch is released as well.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just realized this was an older thread... oh well everything I say still stands.

Another vote for Rhythm and Blues, and Watch City in general. Rhythm and Blues is one of my favorite blends, period. If you message Ernie through the site you'll get a fairly accurate estimate on the next batch release date. Old Dominion is a fantastic VaPer that is usually in stock. 558 is a yummy crumble flake VaPer with Kentucky that is also readily available. I've stuck with VA oriented blends at WCC, but have liked everything I've tried immensely. Don't forget to grab some Rouxgaroux when the next batch is released as well.

Currently have all but the Rouxgaroux on hand. Keeping my eyes open for the next drop of that one for sure!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
G&H Kentucky Nougat, Black Cherry, and I assume all of their non-floral aros are based on stoved black VA. Basically anything English or Scottish that says black Cavendish is black VA. I have a dwindling bag of McClelland bulk stoved lemon VA that is my secret ingredient for home blended Englishes. Oh, and I guess my favorite stoved black (air-cured) VA is Condor!

Status
Not open for further replies.