PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I can't find it now, but I read a post on here where Russ said Sutliff Match BSOSM and 759 are bulk versions of WK and BH with less yenidje and perique (respectively) and possibly lower grade orientals. I've smoked them back to back and can't tell a difference between WK and BSOSM Match other than WK has some tin age. I can tell there's less or no perique in 759 Match but they're very similar and sometimes I like it more. These are listed as McAllister blends but Russ said they're his recipes.

I love you man. ?

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
He does post here from time to time ;)
Yes, he does post here from time to time.
Seriously though, thanks for the kind comments and I try to draw from all feedback, good or bad. I haven't been posting as much because I've been working on redesigning our Baraccini, Viking, Roma, Crown, and Forseti pipes, and we'll have three new lines of pipes available sometime this year, so I haven't had much spare time. I'll try to drop by more often.

Russ

pharmpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2019
I really enjoy Viprati, which I had not even heard of until about a year ago. Deserves more press.
I bought White Knight and Black House at the same time, though I haven't tried them yet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think Viprati is Russ’ Virginia masterpiece. It’s his version of a ribbon cut Three Nuns (Viprati’s favorite tobacco). You don’t hear a lot about it, but its definitely worth checking out if you like VaPers.
I like Viprati a lot, but if that's supposed to taste like Three Nuns, Russ missed it by a continent, also faves are Chatham Manor, Anniversary Kake, and Black House, though I'm not smoking much English or Balkan these days.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have 15 to 20 tins of Viprati which is an excellent VaPer. I have a couple of pounds of Virginia Spice which is an excellent under the radar Va, Perique and Burley blend. I think most of the popular H&H blends are English/Latakia. Magnum Opus, White Knight, Black House, El Nino and Fusilier's Ration. Those are quality blends, I'm simply not a huge Latakia fan.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I like Viprati a lot, but if that's supposed to taste like Three Nuns, Russ missed it by a continent, also faves are Chatham Manor, Anniversary Kake, and Black House, though I'm not smoking much English or Balkan these days.
Viprati is a misunderstood tobacco in some ways. I never said that this is supposed to be like Three Nuns. That was assumed by the mention of fire-cured which a lot of people assumed was Kentucky. It's not. It's a fire-cured mellow Burley to add a bit of body. Some people also assume that it's supposed to be like Escudo. Again, it's not. Luigi Viprati likes Escudo and asked if I could make him something. I kept some of the elements of Escudo but changed it with the Burley so it would have only a faint resemblance. If you want to try my VaPer with Kentucky, give Fire Storm a try.

Russ

El Nino and Fusilier's Ration. Those are quality blends, I'm simply not a huge Latakia fan.
Is there latakia in El Nino? I've been enjoying it for a few years, and I never knew. There have been a couple of others that i had no idea contained latakia, that when I did find out, I started tasting it all the time, ha ha. You may have ruined this for me, Mark, ha ha.

Reactions: ofafeather
Hearth & Home Marquee El Nino - Pipes and Cigars - https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/hearth-home-marquee-el-nino-pipe-tobacco/1477421/
Hearth & Home Marquee Series El Nino was created to be our featured blend at the 2013 West Coast Pipe Show. El Nino is a hard tobacco to classify. The base is a ripe, matured red Virginia, enriched by a good helping of Acadian Perique and some dark-fired Kentucky. To make the blend rounder and to add touch of mellow sweetness, some unsweetened black Cavendish is included. The final touch is the faintest touch of Latakia to deepen the flavor. El Nino produces large volumes of creamy smoke, and it's fairly robust, so it's the perfect repast to follow up a nice meal.El Nino is kicking in, and it's going to be a fun ride.

Ahhh, I guess the latakia is sort of masked a bit with the DF. I didn't notice latakia in GLP's laurel Heights either... till he posted that it was in there. Hopefully, I can still enjoy it, ha ha.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
White Knight should be right up my alley, but I found the cut so coarse that I didn’t get an integrated flavour, but a succession of chunks of different tobaccos.

I’m not giving up, though! I have a pot shaped pipe on the way to see if it helps with these coarser cut mixtures.
I like the theory, which makes common sense! Thanks, that helps me when choosing different blends to match the pipe!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tub of Home and Hearth Midtown series Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut. Well, the tub is 2/3 gone, but it is a sturdy blend with six or seven constituent tobaccos that actually harmonize well. Goes best in a broad bowled pipe to get as many tobaccos going at once as possible. Is not harsh or muddied in taste, which can happen with many tobaccos at once.

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.