PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
So, my two cents.. fine China, Silverware, nice pipes, antiques, old cars. These things were meant to be used and enjoyed.. So, break em out, use em, enjoy them and care and maintain them so they last forever to be given to someone else or sold and enjoyed until they wear out..

Reactions: BROBS

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
First off they look great

If I owned them I'd fire them up (it's not like they're pez dispensers?) but I'd still treat that first smoke a little special (not just the regular tobacco in the regular spot)

I'd also be proud to just own them.... but I think the urge to smoke them would end up being to great

Enjoy them either way

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think Pete's are fairly ubiquitous so I think you should enjoy them just as you do your others. They've made a thousands of the Sherlock Holmes as far as I can tell. There are 5 or 6 unsmoked Founders editions on ebay right now so the collector value is low. It will be higher when the 200th anniversary rolls around. Do you want to hold on to it that long? Let's say it's value triples and is $1000 then. Will it be worth it? To me the value of enjoying it for the next 50 years is beyond that.
The Founders edition I can agree.. and I only paid really the price of a normal Pete for it.
That one I guess I haven't smoked because I really would like a pipe that size to be a system.

The Natural Watson.. they only make a few of these a year... but it's a newer pipe so I am going to blaze away.

The first year issue SH ... it's really hard to find these unsmoked. Can you even find one right now anywhere?
And yes they made tons of them, because they still make them. However in the first year of issue they didn't make "tons".

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The first year issue SH ... it's really hard to find these unsmoked. Can you even find one right now anywhere?
And yes they made tons of them, because they still make them. However in the first year of issue they didn't make "tons".

Again though, they made a lot of them the first year. How many unsmoked are squirrelled away and what will their value be if and when you decide to sell it? Will its value hit a high at that point or will it shrink to the pedestrian? Only you can decide if you think you have the golden ticket.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have had a number of commissions from artisan makers and have bought my share of brand new artisan made pipes. Many are unique and all would be worth more new than smoked.
Everyone of these pipes I smoked the minute I got my grubby hands on them. If I got a pipe in the mail, I would immediately crank it up even if I was smoking something else. I am like a kid at Christmas when I get a new pipe, the thought of not smoking it never enters my mind.

I can totally see where Jesse is coming from with his really old Barlings, that is a different ball game. If I had those I doubt I would ever smoke them. My artisan pipes are not in that league.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Again though, they made a lot of them the first year. How many unsmoked are squirrelled away and what will their value be if and when you decide to sell it? Will its value hit a high at that point or will it shrink to the pedestrian? Only you can decide if you think you have the golden ticket.
it's not really the value.. and first year I would guess maybe 1000 at most of each style were produced (rustic/smooth). It's more that I just enjoy displaying them in their as-new condition I suppose. To smoke I would get a non-first year or an estate. I have other SH series that I do smoke but they are new pipes I bought.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I can totally see where Jesse is coming from with his really old Barlings, that is a different ball game. If I had those I doubt I would ever smoke them. My artisan pipes are not in that league.

Agreed. I think, if Jesse is sable. Some of his old pipes with metal caps are nothing short of spectacular and should be a in museum one day. All of my pipes, even my unicorns to me, are utilitarian so the only guys collecting my pipes in the future will be other pipe smokers looking for a smoker.

Reactions: Bowie and BROBS

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The Founders edition I can agree.. and I only paid really the price of a normal Pete for it.
That one I guess I haven't smoked because I really would like a pipe that size to be a system.

The Natural Watson.. they only make a few of these a year... but it's a newer pipe so I am going to blaze away.

Yeah, they didn't make "tons" but they made enough and will continue to flood the market. Their track record is always being attacked as less than great. Not that it makes them a bad buy or smoke but thier reputation ain't the best. Although, your conviction for the brand and the rack that I found one for a good deal convinced me to get a prepublic Peterson and take a risk and I can say that I love that little smoker! So thanks!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Whether you smoke them or not, you should at least shine up the silver accents. They look much prettier that way!

As for the question at hand, pipes are for pleasure. If it pleases you to smoke them, you should. If it doesn't, then don't. If you can't decide, leave it for another day. That's part of the pleasure too. :col:

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Thinking about the choice again and if it’s in anyway a value/prestige thing then it really depends on how famous (or infamous) BROBS is or is likely to be in future and the impact of that notoriety on those pipes to the next owner

Would you rather have a waistcoat John Wayne owned but never wore or one he wore regularly? Do you want a pipe that Stalin used or one he just owned

So BROBS its over to you... are you collectable & if not what you gonna do about it ?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here's the rub, only you can decide what to do with YOUR pipes.

I am a collector AND smoker. If they were mine, I would smoke them. I collect pipes that I enjoy looking at AND smoking. if I believe that I have something special and/or rare, that just brings me more pleasure when I smoke them.

But at the end of the day, they are yours. Do with them what brings YOU pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.