PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
My brother was out for Thanksgiving and expressed an interest in my pipes. He is a cigarette smoker. I’m thinking about buying a “starter set” for him. Probably a Sav second, a Czech tool, a bundle of cleaners, and tobacco. I’m looking for recommendations on tobacco. I’m leaning towards a cherry blend, as that’s what our grandfather smoked, but I’m open to other suggestions. When I started I avoided aro’s as I wanted to avoid tongue bite and such but that was me picking for myself.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I second third that motion.

Why not a Rossi pipe instead? I'd feel pretty crappy if I were to find out later that I was gifted a 'second'. I'd not say anything, of course, but still.

Rossi is a 'second', right? Savinelli's affordable offshoot.

Honestly either option would make a great first pipe. A lot of people start with cheap pearwood, cobs or some Chinese junk- but at least Frozenoak's brother would be able to start with a quality factory briar.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Rossi is a 'second', right? Savinelli's affordable offshoot.

Honestly either option would make a great first pipe. A lot of people start with cheap pearwood, cobs or some Chinese junk- but at least Frozenoak's brother would be able to start with a quality factory briar.
Not really, Supperthyme. 'Seconds' are pipes (or any manufactured product) that didn't make the cut due to some flaw (mostly cosmetic, but there might be others). This isn't the case with Rossi, which is a sub-brand of Savinelli that makes cheaper pipes (probably using lower grade briar); these pipes, however, are not Savinelli's rejects that get rebranded. Thus, all Rossi's are 'firsts'.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Not really, Supperthyme. 'Seconds' are pipes (or any manufactured product) that didn't make the cut due to some flaw (mostly cosmetic, but there might be others). This isn't the case with Rossi, which is a sub-brand of Savinelli that makes cheaper pipes (probably using lower grade briar); these pipes are not Savinelli's rejects that get rebranded. Thus, all Rossi's are 'firsts'.

Sorry Olkofri, I misread the OP and missed that part where Frozenoak specifically mentioned buying a Sav second.
Obviously my reading comprehension skills need work ? my bad.

I completely agree with you that a Rossi would make a better gift than one of Savinelli's seconds.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
A solid gift idea not surprisingly endorsed by all the pipe smokers around (preaching to the choir).

But yes, a decent pipe and a bunch of quality 1oz samples would be a great thing to have as a sibling gift. Especially as he expressed the interest, plus you guys will get to share some pipe-smoking time, which is for a lot of us, a pretty solitary affair. A great bonus and very much in the spirit of the season. Here here.

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
I'd skip the aros, a cig smoker is gonna want his nic fix if your planning on converting him lol. I'd go with bulk flakes, burley blends and english w/ orientals, light on the latakia. Just my opinion as a new piper, all my aros have turned into potpourri.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
a cig smoker is gonna want his nic fix if your planning on converting him lol.

A cigarette smoker won't get a nic hit from a pipe regardless of the blend.

Just my opinion as a new piper, all my aros have turned into potpourri.

Your newness is probably the reason. Try an aro in a few years and you may be surprised.

Reactions: bnichols23

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Did he express interest in a particular pipe? There are many shapes to choose from, and buying pipes is a very personal experience. For example, take the late Banjo's collection. A lot of his pipes were not my style, but he thought they were great.

If he didn't take a shining to a particular pipe, I would suggest a basic straight billiard shape.

Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
My brother was out for Thanksgiving and expressed an interest in my pipes. He is a cigarette smoker. I’m thinking about buying a “starter set” for him. Probably a Sav second, a Czech tool, a bundle of cleaners, and tobacco. I’m looking for recommendations on tobacco. I’m leaning towards a cherry blend, as that’s what our grandfather smoked, but I’m open to other suggestions. When I started I avoided aro’s as I wanted to avoid tongue bite and such but that was me picking for myself.
A good sampler or some decent more or less plain burley -- no aros for now. As for Rossi &/or Sav, you could do a GREAT deal worse. :):):)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.