PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I usually don’t light up in the car but would like to have the option if faced with an extended traffic jam or suchlike. So if I wanted to carry some tobacco in the car medium term (just enough for a couple of bowls) what would be a suitable container to store it so that it remains in decent condition for immediate use for several weeks?

I’ve tried a simple lined cloth bag/pouch but the temperature/humidity round here just means its bone dry in short order (tropical climate) In a sealed plastic container condensation starts collecting from the tobacco within 30 minutes. Metal tin just cooks it!

I don’t want to have the same dependency to have to take tobacco/pipe with me every time I leave the house the way I did with ciggies and its easy enough to leave a cheap 'emergency' pipe in the car but what about the tobacco. Thoughts & ideas please?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
If you're just talking about weeks, leaving it in the original tin has always worked for me. In fact, some blends need that much time to get where I like them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would think that storing tobacco in a hot car would almost process it further, for better or worse. Cold, on the other hand, would probably preserve most blends. So I'd limit it to small quantities of less premium blends, that you actually smoke up within a month or so. This might be a good use of OTC pouch tobacco, if you enjoy one of those.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kcghost, I agree. A cigar is more portable. You don't have to tamp it. The only drawback is that some recent cars don't have ashtrays, so a tall empty can might be installed in a cup holder. On a long trip, a cigar can help perk you up after a lunch, so you don't get sleepy. The Car Guy brothers used to joke about dropping a cigar in their lap while driving; so safety first.

newdave61

Lurker
Aug 31, 2018
I only smoke codger blends (Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc.) in the car. I use an old Peterson calfskin puch with a rubber liner. They seem to have enough humectant to keep fresh all week.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Downeaster

Lurker
Nov 14, 2019
I use an 8 ounce, wide mouth canning (jelly) jar. By keeping it in a spot that is not in direct sunlight, I don’t have a problem condensation.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The Car Guy brothers used to joke about dropping a cigar in their lap while driving; so safety first.

I can personally attest that this is bad. And worse, you flick it off your lap because it burns and falls to the floor in front of your seat, and then you're playing find the lit stogie while trying not to get into an accident. It quickly turns into a comedy of errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.