PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love my Kiribi Takara. I’m interested in the FauxPonts. They look great and I’ve heard they are actually pretty solid. Also, I would be sure to tell people they are knock offs so no one thinks me a dork for trying to fake it and get away with it:eek:

Reactions: MrTom

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I started with matches and used a Bic on occasion. Then I got some nifty vintage lighters for a good deal:
IM Corona Pipemaster
Ronson Varatronic

I looked up how to maintain them as Piezo/electric lighters are notorious for misfiring. The older Ronson needed some tweaking but the IM still worked flawlessly.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I've always used matches and cheap disposable butane lighters.
But recently LAD bug bit me and now I use Colibri Connaught II indoors, Nimrod Admiral while smoking outside.
I keep cheaper butane lighters as a back-up everywhere (esp. fond of DJeep). Oh, and matches.
Probably won't find peace until I snatch one of these high-quality Japanese knock-offs of Dunhill Unique.

Reactions: MrTom

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Kiribi Kabuto, Maruman GL-67, Nimrod, Zippo, Bic, Vector, in that order.

The Vectors lasted about a year and a half before they would no longer ignite. I still use them when I have to relight a half smoked bowl by getting them started with a Bic. Saves burning your fingertips, and the Bic doesn’t always seem to get the flame down there. But it’s good to carry around because I don’t really care if it gets lost or damaged.
The Kiribi goes a long time on a fill...

Mar 1, 2014
I’ve got a few Zippos but they seem basically useless to me with the amount of wind you’d need to generate from puffing to actually get the flame to interact with the tobacco.

For the longest time Bic was my standard, but it was always frustrating how hot it gets and the flame doesn’t reach very far.

Right now my best bet is the new Electric Arc lighters.
I can imagine they’re about to revolutionize the way I smoke a pipe since you can be pretty well guaranteed they’re going to burn stuff with no fuss while also reaching all the way to the bottom of even the deepest chimney. Plus the rims of my expensive pipes should stay almost totally pristine from now on.

On top of that you guys have got me on a collecting spree with Dupont knockoffs, finally a Butane lighter that actually works!
I know I should have got an Old Boy a long time ago but practically these will work just as well, and I love the big shiny block aesthetic.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and MrTom
Status
Not open for further replies.