Haunted Bowls, Ghosts, and Tobacco Exorcisms.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
As I try new tobacco types and different blends I am starting to think more about pipe allocation. I have primarily corn cob pipes and they are reputed to be practically haunt-proof. Is that true and to what extent? I like Burley and am assuming that my "burley pipes" can be used for more than one Burley blend. Will I need a different set to smoke Virginias in? What about in-betweenies like VaBurs, or if I want to smoke VaPer? Despite my new-found tobacco love interests, I'd still like to flirt with an English or an Aro occasionally. Is that yet another set of pipes?
No wonder grandpa smoked one tobacco in one pipe his entire life.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
It doesn't have to be that complicated. My own collection consists out of Latakia(2) pipes, aro Corn cobs (2) and other(10). "Other" are pipes for all other tobaccos, ie VA, VAPER, BUR, Dark FIred, etc, as the ghosts of these tobaccos can enhance the flavour of other tobaccos.

I only have 2 latakia pipes. Depends on your preference.
Corn cobs doesn't ghost easily, but i do clean from time to time, depending on how much i smoke with them. Because aro juices are extra bitter and disgusting and it could foul up the shank of your cob if you don't use a pipe cleaner when you smoke them.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Ill echo the sentiment most prominent here.
I have about 15 pipes, all in very regular rotation (all getting smoked at least once every other day).
And I smoke EVERYTHING. Lat-bombs, straight perique, goopy aros, and everything in between.
Never once noticed a ghost, except when I tried smoking an estate that wasn't fully cleaned.
YUCK!
Just clean up well after each smoke, and keep the cake under control. You should be good.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I mostly keep English, lakeland and straight Virginia pipes separated. Burley can mix with vapers and other similars. Aromatics are a beast if their own kind.

Reactions: UncleRasta

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I smoke a briar pipes only and all of my blends are consumed in all of my pipes. I have no problem with ghosting as I do not smoke aromatics and Englishes. I smoke Burleys, Virginias, and fire cured tobaccos. Back then, when i was smoking English blends I hade a pipe dedicated for those.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Similar to @brendan18 here. Fairly simple. Half a dozen cobs for aros, a walnut for Latakias, a few thick-bowled churchwardens for hot VAs, and a half dozen briars for Burley/Ky/VA/Per blends. Oh, and a mini churchwarden for the occasional hit of pure Perique plus a couple nosewarmers for car use (1 briar, 1 cob). I haven’t reached the point of designating specific pipes for specific blends or narrower sub-types (except the Lat pipe).

I’d love to justify the budget to add a hefty poker or wide jumbo pot for complex blends, a tall Billiard/stack for flakes, etc., but I am, well, parsimonious.

Reactions: UncleRasta

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I smoke a briar pipes only and all of my blends are consumed in all of my pipes. I have no problem with ghosting as I do not smoke aromatics and Englishes. I smoke Burleys, Virginias, and fire cured tobaccos. Back then, when i was smoking English blends I hade a pipe dedicated for those.

Thanks Julius, and I love the Cap'n Haddock avatar thingy.

Reactions: burleyboy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As I try new tobacco types and different blends I am starting to think more about pipe allocation. I have primarily corn cob pipes and they are reputed to be practically haunt-proof. Is that true and to what extent? I like Burley and am assuming that my "burley pipes" can be used for more than one Burley blend. Will I need a different set to smoke Virginias in? What about in-betweenies like VaBurs, or if I want to smoke VaPer? Despite my new-found tobacco love interests, I'd still like to flirt with an English or an Aro occasionally. Is that yet another set of pipes?
No wonder grandpa smoked one tobacco in one pipe his entire life.
I never worry about ghosting if anything I like it. Gives a slight hint of something else to the next smoke.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My pipes are most for like-constituent blends, aside from 2 blend-specific ones, both for straight VA’s. Otherwise, I have groups of pipes for Englishes, Orientals, VA’s, VaPers, DFK, Burleys, Aros, and perhaps absolutely most importantly, Lakeland blends.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I separate my pipes by genre. Meaning, some are dedicated to Latakia blends, some are dedicated to Aromatic blends, and the others are dedicated to "non-flavored" blends (Va-Va/Per-Burley).

I have a couple that are used exclusively for straight virginias and a couple dedicated to Lakelands.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
As noted above, most blends don’t really ghost significantly. Straight Burleys and Va or Va/Per blends don’t leave much behind. A pipe dedicated to straight Virginias will let you get the best experience as they are generally subtle. Helpful but not a requirement.

IME Lakelands should have their own pipe unless you enjoy them showing up uninvited in the next 50 bowls like someone’s belligerent grandmother with a purse full of floral soaps.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than blend specific pipes, this is how my pipes are genre dedicated.
Red Virginia
Virginia
Virginia/Perique
Virginia/Oriental
Virginia/Burley
Burley
Perique
Chocolate
Vanilla/Caramel
Cherry/Berry
BananA (yes, bananA)
Floral Lakeland