PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
There hasn't been enough controversy on the forum lately, so I thought I would start a thread where we could discuss our most favourite and least favourite carvers and the reasons putting a carver in one group or the other.
Now, to the extent that you are saying that a carver is one of your least favourite I would ask you to keep your criticism constructive rather than destructive.
My list is below.
Most Favourite
Michael Parks - I will admit that Michael is a friend so this means my comments are not wholly objective, but I just love the thought that Michael puts into the construction of a pipe, which culminates in a beautiful smoking machine with fit and finish that is second to none. The skill Michael has in reading the grain is second to none and his blast work may well be the best there is, at least for those who prefer a deep graggy blast like I do.
Jeff Gracik (J. Alan pipes) - Most of Jeff's pipes evince a noticeable Danish design influence that in many instances hits all the right buttons for me. When you buy a Gracik pipe you just know you are going to get stellar craftsmanship. On the negative side, I will say that my experience communicating with Jeff in e-mails has not been wholly positive. In fact, I have sent a few e-mails about a commission that went unacknowledged. In any event, the guy does make some stellar pipes.
Clark Layton - Clark is an "up and comer" for sure and makes some stellar smoking pipes that offer tremendous bang for your dollar. His shaping is still evolving as is his finish work, but there are few carvers who work as hard as Clark does to get it right and I have no question that he will just get better and better at his craft. Get in now before his prices rise.
Jerry Crawford - Jerry in my view is a very underrated carver who strives for perfection in every pipe he puts out. His stemwork is top notch and I view Jerry as the next Rad Davis - top quality smoking pipes with very pleasing stemwork that offer loads of value for the dollar. Given that Rad isn't making many pipes anymore, we really need a new Rad Davis. In fact, Jerry should consider changing his name to Rad Davis as I am sure this will improve sales.
JT Cooke - This one will be a bit controversial as I know some on here have said that they have found JT to be a bit difficult to deal with. However, I have not had that experience and have nothing but good things to say about Mr. Cooke. His blasts are distinctly his own and you can spot a Cooke pipe from 50 feet away, a statement you can't make about most carvers out there. On the negative side, his buttons can be a bit more pronounced than other carvers, so if you are very particular about button size you should look at a Cooke very closely before you pull the trigger.
Ray Kurusu - This young Japanese carver is a pleasure to deal with and he can do magic with stem design that will make your jaw drop. Unlike some of the Japanese carvers he can also carve classic shapes, albeit through the lens of a distinct Japanese aesthetic.
Tom Eltang - I would actually put Tom in the middle of the pack on my list. His pipes often don't float my boat in terms of their design. However, the man knows stainwork and how to read the grain of a pipe like few others. Everytime I see one of his golden contrast stained pipes my mouth drops.
Wayne Teipen - Wayne doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He makes supremely-crafted pipes with very comfortable buttons, and all for a very, very fair price. I will say that I wished he made more classic shapes, as I feel sometimes he embraces the freehand form more than he should. That said, I know first hand he can make the classic shapes when he wants. He can also make a very well-crafted larger pipe when he puts his mind to it as well.
Larry Roush - There is no question that some of his production has a face that only a mother could love, and I know some who detest many of his shapes, but based on my experience he does put out pipes that are thick-walled flake smoking instruments of the highest order. His stemwork is fantastic.
Walt Cannoy - Here is a guy who marches to the beat of his own drummer. His suede blast, which I love, truly distinguishes his pipes in a very crowded field, and the man can also make a meerschaum pipe that will make your eyes light up. I do wish he would be a little more judicious in the use of white stems, however. I like a white stem on the right pipe, but not on every pipe (ok, I am exagerating a bit here).
Ryan Aldan - Another pipemaker who's star is rising. Very comfortable stems and a lot of value offered. I am not always a fan of his shaping, but I have seen tremendous strides on that front as well. Like Clark Layton, he seems to be improving with each pipe.
Least Favourite
J & J Pipes - I really want to like the pipes put out by these two gentlemen. I enjoy their youtube videos immensely and I have heard that they make a fantastic smoking pipe. However, for some reason I am attracted to very few of the pipes they produce. Their blastwork is average at best (at least for someone who digs craggy blasts as I do) and I just don't seem to be attracted to many of the shapes they put out, which are more often than not on the small side and seem disproportionately to be freehand shapes. I hope one day I will see a J&J pipe that rings my bell.
Joe Case - Why this carver's pipes fetch the dollars they do just makes me scratch my head. The stemwork I have seen seems relatively primative and lacks proper funneling in the button. That said, if large rusticated pokers with dayglo stems is your scene, then you will love the stuff he puts out.
Kevin Arthur - I have tried one of his pipes and was not impressed. The stem was very uncomfortable and actually seems brittle. I know one other person who had a similar experience. The shaping more often than not seems off to me as well.
I am sure I have forgotten about some that should be on either list, but this is all I could come up with at the moment.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great thread idea. I was thinking along the same lines this morning, but couldn't think of a diplomatic way to word things. I think this works just right, so kudos for that.
(BTW, it's spelled favorite. :mrgreen: )

Reactions: lightmybriar

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I really am not in possession of the work of many carvers so my comments have to be limited. I will echo your remarks about Jerry Crawford and Wayne Teipen. I hope to add more of their pipes, as well as Scott Thile. Scott makes outstanding pipes, both aesthetically and practically. Brian Ruthenberg seems to be getting his mojo back, which is good news for those of us that have benefited from his work. Lastly, I have a cherrywood by Bruce Weaver. I can't testify to it as a smoker because it is so dang good looking I can't bring myself to fire it up!
On the downside of carvers, there are many whose work just doesn't appeal to me. Since I am trying to keep my pipe count down (mixed results here) I will likely stick to the carvers named above.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This is just a first go...
Most Favorite

(in no particular order)
Ryan Alden -- Coming first probably because I'm smoking one of his pipes right now, but as Peck notes, Ryan makes very comfortable stems and his prices are fantastic. I'm more a fan of his shaping, though, and I'm seeing better and better looking pipes come out of his workshop all the time. My Alden pipe was a commission, so maybe that's why I like the shape of mine. I should note, though, that I explained the shape I wanted and Ryan matched it perfectly. Plus, he's great to work with.
Andrew Marks -- One of the first American artisan pipe makers, Andrew's pipes have quirky, organic forms. Sometimes they look like billiards, sometimes they look like hummingbirds. But the airways are smooth as butter and the briar he uses is the sweetest I've ever tasted (and for a long time I didn't even believe that briar mattered much to how the tobacco tastes). All his pipes are smooth and most of them have fairly light stains. The stems are -- for me -- among the most comfortable in the business. It's not that they're the thinnest, but the way that they're shaped, usually with a lightly sanded, rounded button, which I prefer. He doesn't even use a lathe, so if you want symmetrical perfection look elsewhere. Above all, Andrew's pipes are just a joy to smoke.
Elliott Nachwalter -- Another one of the first or second generation of American pipe makers, Nachwalter is just plain gifted when it comes to what he does on the shaping wheel. He just has an elegant, flowing sense of shape that just works for me. I can't describe it any better than that. Plus, he's a pretty fair hand at revealing straight grain. The only downside to his pipes is their inconsistency. Some of them have monstrous fills, but many of his latest pipes are true high grades. And yet, my favorite pipe to smoke, a light-weight bent Dublin, is one of those fill-riddled pipes -- it has perfect balance and smokes like a dream.
Least Favorite
Joe Case -- I've never smoked his pipes, but I agree with Peck about the appearance of the stemwork and I just don't dig the colors or the shank adornments.
Mark Tinsky -- They're great looking pipes and have great prices. They're also very precisely made (Tinsky is like a machine), but I just don't like acrylic stems. I understand he'll sometimes use rubber if you ask, but I've passed on any number of great looking pipes because I know I won't like the stem. Again, his pipes are well made, but I've sold the ones I've had. I'm sure they're being enjoyed immensely by their new owners.
Todd Johnson -- Two things -- 1) I've never smoked one of his pipes and 2) I'm not knocking them because of the recent controversy. That said, I just don't at all dig the aesthetic. The wide shanks and the modern/Danish styling -- it just isn't something that I particularly like in a pipe. I don't like blowfish, either. But from what I've seen, they are extremely well made. The stems look amazing and the fit/finish looks seamless.
OK, that's a start. I'll add a few more when I have more time. Again, great thread idea.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
My Thoughts:
Favorite
Clark Layton - Clark is a great guy to work with and he pipes smoke like a dream. I am the current title holder of the largest Layton collection with 7 of his creations. His pipes smoke very open and he can make anything you can dream up for a great price. I keep a commission in the works ,I am thinking I will do a bent acorn next.
Wayne Teipen - My Liverpool Panel is one of the best smokers and it is a very graceful design - I look forward to seeing what he brings to Chicago. My only complaint is that his pipes are hard to find as he is part time.
Larry Roush - I love my Roush and it is probably my best smoking pipe ..... His shaping is clearly his own vision and on some pipes well it just bewilders me. I will be adding Roush pipes in the future when I can grab a pipe that is more traditional and not drastically overpriced like a few of his offerings.
Bruce Weaver- I love my commission and I loved communicating with him on it . He has a love of pipes that translates into some great designs.
Least Favorite:
Brian Ruthenberg : I liked one of his pipes at Chicago. I had a conversation with him that was 90% Brian criticizing other carvers. I tried to contact him many time via email and he never returned an email.
Other least favorites:

Carvers that don't answer emails

Carvers that charge > $700 in their first few years of making pipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two of my favorites, in the sense that I can buy their pipes from time to time, and not just admire them online, are Jerry Perry, the somewhat elusive N.C. carver who does not sell online (only at the state fair and TAPS pipe show), who works in Mountain Laurel and briar, and a few other woods, and Mogen Johanasen the Danish pipe maker who sells widely online. I like Perry for his interesting personal take, with a folk art twang but with a solid respect for traditional shapes, and a willingness to incorporate some color, carving, and individuality in shapes and designs. Johansen cranks out pipes at an incredible clip, and while there may be some Nording-like shortcuts in the workshop, he does beautiful, simple, startlingly light weight pipes that are durable and well engineered.
I don't pay much attention to carvers I don't like. Mostly what I don't like is their being out of reach on price, the ones I admire. There are a number I simply don't understand, some of Mummert, and a few of Ser Jacopo jointed stems, and such. I enjoy the SJ and Ferndown I have.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Great Idea!
Favorites:
Lee Von Erck - Okay, so many of his shapes and finishes can look a bit clunky, but when he hits the mark it's incredible. And his blasts, some say they're rusticated, he says they're blasts, are amazing! Plus his proprietary curing process results in pipes that are light, smoke sweetly and deliver the flavor. He's satisfying me on all points like nobody else.
Paul Tatum - His pipes are very well engineered (which shouldn't come as a surprise given that he's a materials engineer for NASA) with a smooth open draw. But Paul has a quirky sense of design that is fun, sometimes looney, sometimes a bit sinister, all of which present a personal view of styling, something missing in this world of warmed over Danish.
Trever Talbert - Once again I like a carver with attitude and chops. Trever can execute any traditional shape in the canon, but he has developed his own esthetic combined with exquisite engineering. Yeah, I know that a lot of people find his work off putting. I don't care. I like it.
Tony Fillenwarth - Not on many people's radar, another whose styling may have limited appeal, but what great smokers his pipes are! Wide open draw, excellent fit and finish. Plus he's a very nice guy to work with.
Arley Curtz - Great bang for the buck. Arly produces a good smoking implement at a very affordable price.
Not my thing:
Ray Kurusu - Maybe his pipes are wonderful. But his design sense doesn't appeal to me. He doesn't look like he knows who he is.
J Alan - No doubt about it, he makes a great pipe in a very refined Danish influenced way, and is one of the most knowledgeable technicians working today. His pipes are boring to look at and the blasts are so refined that.they might as well not exist. I like my Danish fresh, not warmed over.
Maigurs Knets - What he does have is an individual esthetic, unlike Kurusu and J. Alan. I just don't care for it. But I do like his name. That's a great name.
A whole crapload of young carvers whose fussy little confections are priced to bilk the suckers.

Last edited:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ah, Peck
Leave it to you to bring up a controversial subject almost guaranteed to raise the ire in many
Of all the pipes you listed, I will comment on J and J. I own two of them and both are beautiful smokers. They do tend to be on the smaller side, but I have no trouble with that as I prefer lighter weight pipes. Of course for the Lat blends, it is preferable to have deeper bowls and therefore larger pipes. Generally, their construction is excellent but I would agree that so far there is nothing unusually noticeable in their designs. But if you watch their videos, you know that they are constantly studying and experimenting with new ways of craftsmanship. I give them extra points for realizing that they 'do not know everything'.
My Michael Parks commission is on the way, but the one I have smokes perfectly and suits the English blends with a nice large bowl-a classic 'Dunhill' style bent.
I also agree that Jerry Crawford is completely under rated and is an excellent value for those wanting to get into the ground floor regarding an extremely well built pipe for low $$.
Least Favorites
I'm not going to list some of the purchase mistakes I have made because they were my fault for not waiting long enough for the carvers to mature, for lack of a better word.

In addition, I would like to add that even a great carver had to begin somewhere, and I have picked up a couple of pipes during their initial 'learning period'. My fault for not fully investigating dates.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Peck said
Walt Cannoy - Here is a guy who marches to the beat of his own drummer. His suede blast, which I love, truly distinguishes his pipes in a very crowded field, and the man can also make a meerschaum pipe that will make your eyes light up. I do wish he would be a little more judicious in the use of white stems, however. I like a white stem on the right pipe, but not on every pipe (ok, I am exagerating a bit here).
Thanks Peck. To be honest with you, I'm getting a little tired of the white stems myself. Look for some more NYH ebonite, and maybe even some classic Cumberland too in the near future!

Reactions: greeneyes

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Favorites
Bruce Weaver- amazingly engineered pieces, and very distinct blasts. Have three of his pipes, and they smoke as great as they look. Also is a very friendly guy and has given me loads of advice in pipe carving.
Peder Jeppensen-as a lover of Danish freehands, this guy really caught my eye with reinterpretations of classic shapes with a bit of Danish flare.Love his use of accents, and his largest handfillers clench quite comfortably.
Marco Biagini-carver of Moretti Pipes, and wow! Only have one of his pieces, a freehand Magnum rusticated Zulu, but I am deeply impressed! Smoked cool from the first light, and can get a three hour smoke out of the giant now dubbed Monstro. Being of such a size, it passes a pipe cleaner with ease, and holds a place of distinction in my collection as being the largest.
Least Favorite
Dunhill-though not a carver individually, just can't get past the cookie cutter shapes. Had a ruby bark dublin, and it just seemed like an overpriced Dr. Grabow. Eventually traded it for some tins of G.L. Pease Mephisto.
Werner Mummert-his pipes look more like modern art than a comfortable smoking instrument. Though he did make a reverse calabash that strongly resembled the alien probe from Star Trek IV that I nearly bought.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Most Favorites
Ser Jacopo - By far the best of the rest. This Ser Jacopo Half-Bent Freehand Sandblasted Horn-Dublin, stamped Per Aspera, Ad Astra, (Fatta A Mano In Italia) is a Sandblast with thin silver band and is a half bent Horn-Dublin Variant. It has the Coral dot (Corallium rubrum). The display of blasted dark brown grain on this Ser Jacopo pipe mesmerizes, both visually as well as texturally. It's flowing shape fits comfortably in hand with a round-rimmed bowl of moderate proportions. What a perfect smoker.
Johs - Mogens Johansen is like a machine. This hand made Johs Smooth Straight Bulldog is my second best hand carved smoking pipe.
Least Favorites
I don't have any.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't have any commissioned pipes, so I cannot judge any based on the quality of smokeworthiness. Yes, I think I just made up a word. When I seen the thread, I didn't know who started it, but I immediately thought of Peck's examples of Michael Parks pipes. Parks pipes some of most beautiful pieces of briar I've ever seen. Putting him at the top of the list is justified friends or not.
Need I say more?

CH6NVtGm.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a funny thing about J&J. I own one of their pipes and the LAST word that I would use to describe it is small. I bought it from Jared at the inaugural meeting of the Los Angeles Pipe Club. He had a case of pipes to show and they were all nice looking pieces but nothing that really interested me except for this ONE bamboo shanked pipe that looked like nothing else in the case. It is an exquisite marriage of grain and form. As much as I was taken with it, I wasn't taken with the price that he quoted. Fortunately Jared offered a significant reduction and I bought the dingus. Like a lot of pieces in my motley collection it looks like nothing else that I own. And, I like that. They may be on a learning curve, and the price still may have been high for the level that they're at, but in this instance I really don't care.
There's something for everybody. Buy what you like, smoke what you like, and don't put much weight in anybody's opinion. We know what opinions are like and that everybody has one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think this thread is great for any new smokers who would like to jump into artisian pipes, and don't know Abe Natur from Nanna Ivarsson. They get pros and cons from experienced pipers, and get to draw their own conclusions.

Reactions: lightmybriar

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
chasingembers -- Great observation, after returning to piping after a 2 decade hiatus I find these types of threads very useful. Seems you and I agree about Dunhill's as well.
I've just commissioned a pipe from Clark Layton as my first "artisan" pipe, anxious to see how it turns out.
I did find an Von Erck pipe for sale, a gorgeous piece but not so gorgeous to make the $1000 price tag palatable.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I will chime in"
Favorite Carvers:
Rad Davis - I have a big bent brandy from Rad. It smokes very well and is comfortable. His blasts are very nice imo, not too shallow and not "sand-carving"
Larrysson - He makes some really out there shapes such as the whole tree bark line but his traditional shaping is top notch too.
Scott Thile - A very underrated carver imo. His shapes are very nice and he is a gentleman.
Perry White - I will say that most of his shapes are big clumsy free hands, which are typically not my style. I did find a smaller lovat that he made and it smokes very well.
There are a few other carvers that I have met and admire their work. I do not own any of their pipes yet so I cannot put them in the "favorite" list. They are:
Joe Nelson (Old Nellie) - His shapes and craftsmanship are top notch, and he is a heck of a nice guy.

Thomas James - A modern take on many traditional shapes. I don't know why he isn't more highly thought of.

Vollmer and Nilsson - Most pipes I have seen from them that did not include the silver band have been stunning.

Briar Bird - Jason is really improving and one of his will probably be one of my next pipes.

Jerry Crawford - Nice shapes and underrated
Least Favorite -
Nate King - He is a talented carver and a nice guy but his shapes are a tad chunky and seem "not quite finished" to me. I know it's just my preference. I have no doubt his pipes are fine smokers.
I will just lump of bunch of carvers into this first category. I will call it the chubby poker group.

Balkovec, Joe Case, Rick Black, Brian Doran, and probably some others. The shape is just not my style.
The Second Group I will lump together just make big chunky (often freehand) pipes. They are - Split beard pipes, Randy Wiley, Boswell, Tinsky, Tim West. Again, Not my style.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I think this thread is great for any new smokers who would like to jump into artisian pipes, and don't know Abe Natur from Nanna Ivarsson."
That would be me. And it is a great thread. I will just keep reading and learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.