PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Okay, I have a few Zippo lighters already, but I don't use them on the pipe. Most are either from my cigar days, or left overs from my dad.
I thought about getting a pipe insert, or a brand new lighter with a pipe insert, but:
1. Have read here that the fluid based pipe inserts don't light bottom of bowl well.
and....
2. If I was going to get a new Zippo, I don't care for the one with the little pipe on the bottom. i would want to get a case that I liked, and have the insert put in it.
I have also thought about the butane insert, but again, I would like to get a brand new casing, standard size, with the butane insert.
All of this, at least face value, looks to me like buying a new Zippo, discarding the standard cigarette lighter internals, and then purchasing the internals i want for a pipe.
Anyone have a more efficient process or suggestion?

Jul 12, 2011
I do like my Zippo w/pipe insert ( I think another member suggested something like buy the one you want and send back to factory to get them to replace with pipe-insert/check that other thread to be sure) I do find they orig fuel/pipe insert to work vey well on most of all my pipes....never had an issue with fuel transfer taste on lite ups, just using their prem fuel....
For some of the deeper chamber pipes I stick with my good ol Old boy as I can adjust the flame on it...
I know Xikar and Others make an old boy style for less (not sure if others have tried those yet) a Xikar "pipeline" lists for about $59. I think...

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
from what i have heard you can buy any full size zippo, mail it to the repair place with a request for a pipe insert and they will install one and ship it back with your original insert as well

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
I have one of the butane inserts but took it out because it was not as wind resistant as the standard fuel insert. I don't have any problem getting flame to the bottom of the bowl.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
i would think if you called zippo to order one, you might be able to get them to toss an insert in there free

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
The pipe sticker is removable. mine just peeled off after pocket wear. So it just looks like any zippo now with the insert.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I have to second havoc, the pipe sticker on mine fell off as well. Which disappointed me...I loved the little pipe! Anyways, from what I've heard, you can buy any regular Zippo, send it to Zippo, and Zippo (wow, lotta Zippo there!) will send it back with the pipe insert AND the original insert, free. Zippo is an awesome company. How many other companies will repair, free of charge, any lighter they've ever made, whether it is the original owner, a new owner, or someone who just found it on the street!?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have Vector butane inserts in my Zippos and use them the majority of the time. But, for windy outdoor use, the Zippo pipe insert is the only way to go. The other message was right, there is an almost infinite amount of styles with pipe inserts installed on Ebay.

I used this vendor for two inserts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370362013468&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

They also have a website, non-ebay for a little cheaper prices.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
SSjones, the vendor you show is who I just purchased from, unrelated to your posting.
Picked up a "sexy chick with ace of spades' with a pipe insert.
I emailed them, and they stated they were only allowed to sell "pipe lighters" and "standard lighters". Zippo will not allow them to switch inserts between cases to match a customers preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.