PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I am a devoted Zippo user, but I have a question: Do Zippo pipe inserts fit / work in any Zippo case? When I look online at their site, they offer the few standard pipe lighters (Only 3? C'mon!) but don't offer customization of the insert.
I'd like to get something different than the standard one I carry but with the pipe insert. (I always end up looking at the site at night, after their business hours so I thought I'd ask here)
Anyone know?

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
There is a butane pipe lighter insert by a company called Thunderbird. You can find them on Amazon. I bought one to use with the Zippo my brother gave me as a Best Man present on his wedding day some years ago. Works well for me after 6 years of use.

Jan 8, 2013
I've heard the butane inserts tend to have issues. A regular zippo pipe insert is basically just a normal zippo with a hole in it for easier pipe lighting. You can't go wrong with a zippo. I would leave the thunderbird zippo out of it, and just get a pipe zippo. There are other cases if you shop around. Try our site sponsors and see what places like pipesandcigars or smokingpipes carries. I'm sure you'll find one you like. And yes. Pipe zippos fit any standard zippo casing. And just to be positive I tested mine on a couple lol.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As far as I know the Zippo insert fits all the Zippos. That's been my experience anyway. The insert is relatively wind proof and it's the lighter I take when I'm out shooting wildlife. Some will complain of the lighter fluid taste. I let the lighter burn for a second before applying the flame to the pipe obviates that problem.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
ive tried the butane inserts twice and both failed on me soon. I switched to the pipe insert and has been much better functionally even thought i would preffert to use butane. the pipe insert shouldf it all zippos.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
The Thunderbird fits the standard size zippo shells. I don't like it as it is hard to light and does not last long. The only real options are the standard windproof or the pipe version.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Zippo pipe inserts do fit any standard zippo case. You can just buy the pipe lighter and swap them out. I have heard you can send a standard lighter to zippo and they will send you back a pipe insert and your original? Not sure if this is still true? Maybe some one has information on this?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Yes like stated above all inserts fit all shells. I switch my pipe insert from a rough black skin when working to my nice silver finished when I'm in company. Although I may stop doing this because I think it tends to loosen up over time. You can't go wrong with the pipe insert, just a small learning curve is involved.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Thanks all.
I had heard that contrary to popular belief, the inserts are not universal, which is one of the reasons I asked. Also, if they are universal, why don't they sell / advertise them this way? Seems odd.
I no longer notice any taste from the Zippo fluid. It seems to have greatly improved over the years, or I just got used to the taste of puffing diesel..

w2srg

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
pattersonville ny
yes, all zippo inserts fit their cases. You can send a regular lighter back to them and they will retro fit a pipe insert into your case. The best part is they do it for free, I've done it twice with mine. 73's

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If you already have Zippo case and want a pipe insert for it, just go on Zippo's website and/or call their 800 number. Very friendly people.
If you are just looking to get a Zippo pipe lighter but don't like the limited selection they offer with the pipe insert, there's an ebay seller named wannalight who sells a ton of different zippos with the pipe inserts already in them (they special order from the factory, I checked, it's all authentic zippo). I got a brass armor (1 1/2 times thicker case) with a pipe insert from them.
Note that there are a few Zippos made in a "slim" case which is narrower than standard. There is no pipe inser for them, however it's not hard to DIY if you really have a slim one you want to convert.
And the latest iteration of Zippo fluid (not Ronson, even though Zippo owns them) is not as stinko as the older stuff was. But if you fire it up and wait 2 seconds before lighting your pipe, the odor/taste is gone.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I've tried my Zippo pipe inserts in many different Zippo cases. I've never had one that didn't fit perfectly.
I thought I would be smart and try the butane insert. It was a waste of my money and time. It was often failing and finally got to the point where it wouldn't light at all even with full fuel and good spark. I trashed it and went back to my Zippo pipe insert. I like the lower temp flame as well, and I've never had an issue with the fluid taste.
@w2srg 73 es fb de k0jdr :puffy:

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I was finally able to talk to the nice folks at Zippo's Consumer Relations department and they confirmed what most of you have said.(I'm not surprised, the info and collective knowledge on this forum is amazing)
You can basically interchange the inserts in most of their lighters, but they don't sell them that way. If you desire a pipe lighter insert, you have to call and request it. They only sell 'pipe lighters' with it standard.
And if I am understanding the lingo correctly, you 'hams' make me jealous, That's another hobby I've always dreamed of pursuing.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
On the Thunderbird insert topic - I had 2 of them and both were very unreliable, sometimes 5 or even more attempts to fire, other times first try just to tease me! Then back to not firing.............so frustrating I kept the parts I could remove in case they were needed for other lighters and threw the inserts away.

And as others have noted, a very small fuel capacity to boot. The Zippo insert is the way to go.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I never understood the aftermarket inserts for Zippos. The low-odor fluid that Zippo is producing these days is great, and burns cooler than butane. I've lit 90% of my pipes for the last seven years or so with my Zippo pipe lighter and have little or no rim darkening. Every once in a while I buy on accident fluid that isn't the new low-odor kind, but even if you let that burn for a second or five before you put it to your pipe, it's a pretty negligible difference in taste.
If you're that concerned about taste, you ought to be using matches anyway, which I do if I'm just sitting on the porch for a pipe. But usually I'm up and about, and a pipe Zippo is perfect for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.