Tags:   

Zippo Pipe Lighter

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by bradley
  • Latest reply from zitotczito
  1. bradley

bradley

Login to Send PM

I was reading another thread and the gentleman said he was using matches and a Bic. It was recommended that he should look at the Zippo Pipe lighter. I have years of experience using Zippos lighting cigarettes, which adds another layer of flavor to the cigarette, to say the least. I did look and discovered that Zippo is offering butane pipe inserts, though not made or warranted by Zippo. I do own a vintage Zippo butane, which was also imported by a foreign manufacturer. Any advice on butane pipe lighters? I am currently using a Bic mostly.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many people use them and are satisfied.

Be advised that if it has an electric ignition system, it will sooner or later give up the ghost. Maybe a month, maybe a decade.

They are reasonable enough in cost to give it a go, if it appeals to you.

The THUNDERBIRD one has butane with flint ignition, so it may last longer.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are a couple of threads that deal with butane lighters.

Link

link

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  4. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I love my Xikar Scribe butane pipe lighter. It has never let me down.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some simply can't figure out how to use a Zippo, pipe insert or not. The study Bic is a wonder, it'll come right out of the washing machine working fine. Either of these can be found in my pocket. I even know how to use them in a stiff breeze.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

zippo works very well. you just let it burn off a sec or two before bringing above the tobacco. i like my zippo, but don't like refilling the lighter fluid every few days. bic works like a charm, and doesn't need refill. bic and stiff breeze isn't an issue. just cup the pipe opening with a hand. you'll get used to burning your thumb and won't feel it much after awhile.

Posted 6 days ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

Good god. I love my zippo pipe lighter. And it does not impart a taste to the tobacco if you let it burn for a second. Which isn't even an issue with a pipe where unlike a cig you don't strike the lighter half a second before hitting the smoke with flame. Bics are fine if you don't mind bite though. And the pipe insert really also seems designed perfectly and the flame seems to burn cleaner anyways. Seriously I heavily reccomend one.

Posted 6 days ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

newdave61

Login to Send PM

Love my petrol Zippos. As stated above, all you have to do is let it burn for a second or two before touching the tobacco. I find that keeping it well above the top of the bowl, I can draw enough heat to get the job done without drawing fumes. Just never let the flame actually touch the leaf.

I can use them anywhere, regardless of wind, and they almost invariably light on the first try. The piezo butanes I've used over the past decades inevitably fail or have trouble in the slightest breeze. Any butane will eventually have delivery problems. While the Zippos do require occasional refilling and maintenance, I love the idea of having a lighter that will essentially last forever.

Posted 5 days ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amen Warren.

Posted 5 days ago #
  10. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Armygenes2012 has Clipper butane lighters 12 for $15 on eBay in a variety of themes. Free shipping. Refillable and it says that the flints are replaceable as well, though I haven’t tried to do that yet.
    They’re also made in Spain, just in case anyone’s tired of seeing China on everything they buy.
    At that price, I just keep them scattered around the house, so I never have to go looking for a lighter.

Posted 4 days ago #
  11. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

BTW, I do have a Zippo pipe lighter that I like to use, but I keep misplacing it...

Posted 4 days ago #
  12. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just got a Zippo and so far like it.

Posted 4 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin, oldtoby