Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I just purchased a zippo pipe lighter but can't find any "zippo" lighters fluid. Can someone tell me if I absolutely have to use their brand, will it negate my lifetime warranty or whether or not I can use another lighter fuel brand? If so what types should I look for?
Thanks, Flipflop.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I use the zippo stuff, but only because I purchased a large bottle with my Zippo and haven't gotten all the way through it, quite yet. Soon, though, I'll be getting a bottle of generic fluid.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I think they say you have to use their fluid or you warranty is voided, but I would like to see them try and prove you didn't use their fluid! I really think it is just a ploy to make you buy their fluid!

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
I use a butane insert in mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KGM-Vector-Butane-Flip-Top-PIPE-Lighter-Insert-/400122819946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d292db56a
I've only got to use it a few times but I love it. Never have to worry about the fluid evaporating if you don't use it often.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Zippo suggest the use of genuine fuels, flints & wicks, but I use what ever fluid I can get, my warranty is not voided by using other fuels, but not sure if the USA has different rules

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
I use zippo fluid in the black label can. I think it's easy to find here in ohio. I think it's cheap as well. i paid less then 2.00 for my can, and it seems to be sold at any "tobacco" store or gas station that sells zippo.

I tried using other stuff but I found it could taste it on every relight. I figure that is not a good thing for my health and makes the smoke not enjoyable for me.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Thanks for everyone's replies. Keep them coming. As I said in my first post, I can't find the black label or original zippo fluid in any stores as of yet. Does anyone know if Walmart might carry it?
I also just looked on Ronsonol's website and they were indeed purchased by Zippo last year. Does anyone who uses Ronsonol think it leaves an aftertaste?
Thanks.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been using a Zippo pipe lighter for many years and have experienced no issues regardless of brand. The fact that they bought Ronson shows vertical intergration and prompts their advice. While I have not researched fluid manufacturers I doubt that there are all that many anyway. The stuff is cheap and lasts a long time.

As bubba noted, don't worry about any warrantee issue.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
for 6 years i used to fill my zippo by dipping it in my jeep's gas tank.... 1976-84. it gave an intresting flavor on cigarett light up......
btw, that zippo is still going strong, on it's original wick...

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
for 6 years i used to fill my zippo by dipping it in my jeep's gas tank.... 1976-84. it gave an intresting flavor on cigarett light up......
btw, that zippo is still going strong, on it's original wick...
My story isn't nearly as old, but my first zippo, was a gift from my cool uncle when I was 8, hell, high water, and all types of catastrophes have befallen that lighter, yet it's still going strong 16 years later (also on the original wick).

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I've got a bottle of Zippo and a bottle of Ronsonol -- the Zippo fluid seems to have less taste, but that just may be my mind because I trust the Zippo name to be better simply because it is zippo -- I have Zippo flints and wicks but not had to swap yet.
As for warranties, Zippo's warranty is absolutely no questions asked, I've seen my grandpappy send in some rubbish he found on the side of the road and got a new lighter back, because the brass (or whatever it is) plate from the bottom of the lighter still said Zippo even if everything else was just mushed metal.
As for buying fluid? Walmart never has anything when I go, head shops carry Ronsonol around here, Zippo fluid is rather cheap through the internet though, either amazon or ebay or a few online retailers.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I use Everclear in mine. It has no taste and lights just fine. The issue is making sure the lid is closed so it does not evaporate.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I researched this awhile back and found that you can use everyday household items such as rubbing alcohol and kerosene. The flash point has to be lower than the zippo fluid. I've never tried these, but it's good to know if you're in a pinch. I wouldn't worry about the warranty so much, it's usually the hinge that goes.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I,ve never tasted the fluid ,light it up let it burn off any vapors then put it to your tobacco.Just don't overfill your lighter and put it in your pocket.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I still read everywhere that most people have to fill their zippo every 3-4 days...that's just inconvenient. I'd buy one if they lasted 3 weeks before you had to refill it.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Zippo's the only way I go. Check out that "pipe insert" thing. The lighter that I have has a small picture of a pipe near the bottom of the Zippo lighter. It works really well in all weather. And for the fuel....just make sure it's lighter fluid, and don't forget to buy "flints" and always keep a spare flint inside the little hole at the bottom of the felt stuffing.

I know it's a lot to remember...it took me 45 years !!

LOL :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.