PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys, I just received my first Zippo pipe lighter and am pretty excited about it. But I can't seem to get the flame to touch the tobacco without puffing like a madman. Is there a trick to it?

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
There is plenty of flame it just doesn't go down. Maybe I'll try to just hold the flame above the pipe longer and see if the heat will do its job like Cosmic says...

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I find the best length for the wick on the pipe zippo is so it reaches half way up the circular hole. Also, do not over fill and use good fuel. The zippo stuff is fine. If the wick is longer than that there is too much fire going on to light a pipe and add over filling to the mix and you will have an inferno that drops bad tasting fire blobs on your tobacco.
Too much wick in my experience can also make it hard for the flame to travel down the pipe.

Mar 1, 2014
As far as I can tell the Zippo pipe inserts are pretty much useless. I've tried the wick in just about every configuration (from super short to all fuzzy) but it's never easy enough to pull the flame down for me to be comfortable lighting a pipe with it.

Maybe it would work with 5 Brothers, but it's a no-go for most blends.
The most interesting thing I've tried with it though is putting a small nut around the wick, it should keep the body of the lighter cool a bit longer since you're not pouring flame straight into the side of the insert.

sZ8eJe6l.jpg

The only way I have managed to use a Zippo is with a normal insert and tipping my pipe sideways, which will scorch the rim, or you can use it to light matches when you don't have a striker, but in either of those cases a Bic is probably superior in general (cost and convenience), except maybe if it's windy.

I've actually started to really like using matches (kitchen matches, not small ones), since you can get a flame the width of the entire bowl. Again, probably not best for your fancy expensive pipes, but great for all my modified extra wide bowls.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah I was a match guy but it was getting messy so I thought the Zippo was the way to go, everyone on youtube makes it looks so easy..

Jan 8, 2013
It could be you're packing your tobacco too tight. The only time I've ever had a problem putting flame to my tobacco with my Zippo is when I've overpacked and had too tight of a draw.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm betting the IM Corona Old Boy is really the only option for people like me who want a lighter that does all the work for you. Getting a pipe lit irritates my mouth almost as much as smoking the rest of the bowl, ideally I want to push a button and have lit pipe.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be using anything but a butane jet torch for flakes from now on. It doesn't matter if it's gravity filled cube-cut and dry as a bone, some blends just don't want to go.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Actually I'm finding a torch working just fine for me, it has a nice fine point and i just touch the tobacco so it just singes the tips. I agree with you Frozen, If i spend too much time lighting and puffing it just leads to a sore tongue . I guess I'll just keep experimenting...

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
As far as I can tell the Zippo pipe inserts are pretty much useless
Yeah all the millions of pipe smokers throughout the decades have all secretly been using matches when everyone's back was turned, the Zippo is just because of the cool sound it makes when you close it.
Sheesh. Been using a Zippo pipe lighter for ages, never a problem getting the pipe lit.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Well I tried my Zippo with a pipe that has narrower chamber and it worked just fine, the other pipe I was having trouble with was a naked cob with a wide chamber. When I try some more pipes I'll pack lighter and post my results, maybe this thread will help some others as well...

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
+1 Andy!! I use my Zippo most of the time indoors and out. I know what the OP means as it happens to me sometimes. I have discovered the reason is something is blocking my Puff and not pulling the flame. Two possibilities the pack is tight or the draught hole, shank, or stem airway is restricted. I test the draw as I load and it always seems good. But if the flames does not come down I know the draw is not right. I poke a hole in the loaded bowl with my Czech tool, I then try again if not corrected I run a pipe cleaner to the bowl. I have never had the situation continue after running the pipe cleaner to the bowl. I find Zippos to be great lighters, and I love mine. Only time it ever gives me issues is when it runs out of fluid. Otherwise it is spot on!

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Also not just packing to tight but over filling your bowl will make a zippo not want to drawn the heat down into your pipe. Matches or even a bic you can get away with packing right to the top of the bowl. The zippo needs a little room. Pack about an 8th of an inch from the top of your bowl and then lay the zippo almost on top of you bowl and then draw. Works for me anyway.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have two Zippos. The one with the actual Zippo pipe insert is a problem at times and I thing it has to do with there being an opening on both sides. My 2nd Zippo has a Z-pipe butane insert and it is only open on one side. It only gives me problem when it runs low on fuel.

Mar 1, 2014
Interesting.

The pipe I was testing my Zippo with the other day is a Vauen with a tight draw and a 24mm wide bowl, and of course I packed it full.

It makes perfect sense that a narrow bowl would be much more functional with a Zippo, moving more air per square area of opening when you draw.
I would use nothing but a torch if I could find a piezoelectric ignition that wasn't horribly unreliable. I wish they would make all those lighters with a flint.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is exactly why I only use the fuel Zippo insert as a last recourse (windy days, outside).
The open chimney lets most of the flame go skyward, not into your bowl.
The Thunderbird insert has a cover on the back side - this allows the adjustable flame to go down, where I want it (and at the height I desire).
The Zippo pipe chimney design really makes no sense. I tried to make a cover out of a piece of aluminum can, but my fabrication skills were too poor and I gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.