PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have come to learn that it is only in the rejection of pipe-ownership that I will find peace.
In my short foray into the world of pipe-smoking, having been a cigar smoker for most of my career, I have quickly learned about the scourge of Pipe Acquisition Disorder, affectionately referred to as PAD in the online pipe smoking community. At first, I thought that this acronym was mildly amusing; I have been a member of the Internet community since before the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation) permitted commercial traffic, and always found the use of acronyms only slightly, well...acceptable. And in the very beginning, I thought I had a little PAD of my own. I fell in love with some pipes, such as Paolo Becker’s Mortas, and other works of art, clearly out of reach for me. But my disorder, now as much a part of me as my right arm, having reared its ugly head in so many destructive ways throughout my life, has now taken on a life of its own. As if I should be surprised.
I own only a few pipes. To my daughter, 13 seems like a ridiculously large number. To others, I am confident it is just as small; what kind of a rotation is 13? But, the number doesn’t matter. What matters is that I have been on the hunt to expand my collection, scouring eBay daily, looking for deals, commissioning custom-made cobs, buying Forever Stems, etc. For several weeks I have been looking for unique, or rare and, just as importantly, inexpensive ways to smoke my, even more limited number of different tobaccos.
And I have become disillusioned. I have learned to hate eBay, no, I have learned to hate the whole damned scene. I want everything, but I can’t have it! I can’t afford to snipe all the pipes I really want on eBay. I find myself not being able to “pull the trigger” on some of the amazing pipes offered by the online retailers, to which I have dedicated an entire bookmark folder, just to be able to find them in my messy online-closet. And, every time I find a pipe I want, and to the extent that I am able to buy it, I find myself thinking, “but I want that other one also,” and “what if I don’t like it as much as I like the photo of it,” and “I’m just going to ruin it, char the rim, break the stem trying to clean it, drop it and chip the bowl.” I mean, what the hell is the point?
And then it stuck me. Zen, man! Forget atheism, Siddhartha already figured it all out for you. You can achieve pipe-Nirvana.
In their basic form, the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism are:
1. Life is suffering;

2. Suffering is desire (or attachment);

3. Suffering can be eliminated; and

4. The path to the end of suffering is the Middle Way.
I only understand this philosophy in a rudimentary fashion, and never had the discipline that it takes to investigate deeply. But I understand this: I want pipes. I want lots of pipes. I want cool pipes. I want pipes that make me feel good, make me look good, hang effortlessly from my face, make smoking a pleasure.
But, while I can’t have them, or at least, I can’t have them all, my suffering can be eliminated.
All I have to do is give up pipe-smoking.
No! Wait, that’s not right. It’s the Middle Way wherein lies peace, fool!
Just be Zen about it, man.
Just breathe.
Don’t forget that you love smoking pipes. It is as close to Nirvana as you are ever going to get.
And it is quite close, at that.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
How can I follow this? How can I track over these carefully sowed rows, disrupt the seeds Brother sjfine so lovingly planted?
I cannot. I can only stand back in awe. He is Enlightenment. He seen into the Abyss. He has Lived in the moment and tasted the strawberry, and it is the best strawberry he has ever eaten.
Go your Way, Brother. Live in the Now. :worship:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think PAD is prolly something everyone struggles with. I try to follow the middle way as much as possible in all things (being a middle child has definitely helped in that regard).
I have limited funds so I decided early on to try and obtain 4 or 5 pipes and leave it at that (I am still on the search for my perfect billiard.) :puffy:
I made it a rule to own only pipes that I truly want with my goal being that when I reached for a pipe, it would be difficult to choose which one because I enjoyed them all equally. Establishing ground rules for yourself can help keep PAD under control. Set some PAD goals and stick to them.
Still, I check ebay almost every day for enjoyment. I think of it as window shopping more than being out to buy. And you never know when that deal of the century will pop up!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for an entertaining post -- to which, I think, all of us can relate.

What it brings to mind is Taoism's yin-yang cycle, where the interconnected

forces of shadow and light represent lust and gratification.

75px-Yin_and_Yang.jpg

It reminds me of a favorite quote from Shakespeare's Anthony & Cleopatra which

I often use to describe the allure of some tobaccos, but it applies to pipe lust as well:
Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale

Her infinite variety; other women cloy

The appetites they feed; but she makes hungry

Where most she satisfies...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great post. I have found a way to deal with my PAD issues, I give in. I am a slave to PAD and I know it. I don't fight it, I go with it. I set my price limit, I set my monthly allotment, I embrace my disorder.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have no less than 9 ebay pipes on the way to me right now. (Includes an estate lot of 6 in one order...) I don't know how this relates to the original post, but it feels pretty good to me. I've lost more by sniping than I've won.
I find my zen in cleaning them too.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
@SJFine

Great post....

You've been here 6 months and only 18 post including this gem, you need to share your wisdom more often. :worship:

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I just find that I can't really justify any more pipes to myself right now. My Pete's are more than enough for me and while I'd still love to have a Mark Twain someday or a 302, I have more than enough for a good rotation and I have quite a bit of tobacco on-hand. I'm set.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Two weeks ago I said no more pipes for the remainder of this year.......until I see a Digby 9242 on Ebay last week..... Perhaps I mean to say August?

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
It seems to me that it is not the having of the pipes or the tobacco, it is the wanting of the pipes and tobacco. It is that gnawing feeling down deep in your soul

that stirs when you see a real beauty. Or the way you smile when opening a new tin of tobacco. Golf is like this in a way...you can shoot a lousy game and have

just one really great shot and you can't wait to come out and "spank whitey" again.
Being a relative newcomer to pipe smoking it has been that way for me. I have had some really lousy smokes, but I have had one or two that really make me want

to keep at it. Then i come here and I read what it written by all of you pipe mavens and I think....maybe someday, I will be that good. I still have a way to go. :P

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Living beings, led by craving, rush about aimlessly like trapped rabbits. Caught up in their own desires, they suffer endlessly....I intend to call my next blending attempt, Trapped Rabbit. :wink: Or Samsara.....

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I control/justify my PAD beast by buying pipes restoring them then selling the ones I don't LOVE.So far this has been okay by the ol'lady as long as I do sell some.Though in a way it may be worse because I LOVE them all and after all the time and work spent on each it's so hard to tell that new but still good friend to go away.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ba Hahaahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! That was the best post I have ever read here!!!! Holy crap man... You naild it!!!! touche!!! I just posted some disgusted rantings entitled "Ef EBay" on here last week about the fury of losing auctions and not being able to buy the pipe I wanted because I lack the means.... I too was on the brink of quitting smoking a pipe, but that's just not happening. My hats off to you(and I always wear a hat)... That post was a perfect picture of a ride I've taken more than once!!!! Thanks.... I needed that!!!!!!!!!!!!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Entertaining read....
The one thing I did over the years was just set a budget. Get plenty of cobs to begin your rotation and

add to it as your situation improves over your lifetime. I know... I wanted the best pipes and the best

tobacco's from day one, but don't forgo paying your light bill to get them.

Don't forget anniversaries and birthdays... spend money on her also. Eventually you'll have a nice collection.

PAD improves with age too.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I just say that I am allowed to have 7 pipes, no more, and then I say I am only allowed to have as much tobacco as I have jars to hold it. Every year I get a few more jars. When I go over, I just sell/trade whatever I don't like or am not using.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I do not make much money. I consider myself lucky to have the collection of pipes that I have. That's my secret ... appreciating what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.