PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Recently had a friend recommend the Z-pipe insert for zippo lighters. If you are like me you don't like the taste of zippo lighter fluid and prefer a butane lighter. I have tried other zippo type lighter inserts and haven't yet found one that really lasts and has a deep reaching flame, until now. The z-pipe fits a standard zippo lighter and they make 2 models, a torch and a pipe lighter. I have the pipe lighter for obvious reasons. It fist snugly, has a metal construction, and holds a good deal of fluid. The flame level was a bit low for my taste at first even turned all the way up because it has a black tab that keeps you from turning it higher, but that will easily pop off with a knife tip. I took that piece off, adjusted the flame to where I wanted it, and popped it back on. Now I have a great long lasting lighter that reaches deep into even my big pipes and I also get to use one of my cool sentimental zippos. I would highly recommend these, and they are less than $15.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I've wondered about that one! Reviews seem to have it performing better than the Thunderbird inserts. How long have you been using yours?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have been using mine for about a month. We will see how it does over the long haul but for $15 so far it is a good buy. I also tried the thunderbird and didn't like it. The flame was too small and couldn't be adjusted higher and the angle wasn't quite right.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I have a Thunderbird also and have used it a lot. Works fine but agree that the angle is not quite right. I tend to use my Kiribi and Vector the most. I may have to get a Z-Pipe and try one.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Sorry if this is a dumm question... but is it refillable? Love the concept! (And don't like the lighter fluid taste/smell either!)

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have one Of these lighters overall it is good. The only thing I have found it it made for the right handed. Being left handed makes its usage a little awkward. The amount of butane it holds is good for several days and refilling is easy.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Cheers for the review - I have been thinking about an insert for a while now; just pulled the trigger on one of these!

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I enjoyed mine while it lasted - about 6 months. I think it's a case of you getting what you paid for.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have two. One in a vintage Zippo and the other in my desk to go into a worthy vintage Zippo when I find it.

So far mine has been lasting about a week between refills but your mileage may vary. My only complaint is an occasional singed thumb when the wind shifts.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
How does it perform in the wind? I'm not talking gale force, just the same mild breeze that causes other butanes including the thunderbird insert to need all sorts of trickery to shield it, and have to flick it a hundred times while it goes out again and again? That's the reason I stick with the Zippo despite its shortcomings.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It's a butane so not as stable as a regular zippo but I mostly smoke outside and it seems to stay lit for the most part.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For real windy days, I find a torch works well, a short burst straight down the chamber.
Otherwise a soft butane flame on low can be drawn to relight all but the very deepest of chambers.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Lost my zippo that I had in service in my moves after retiring. Bought this one and the Butane insert after Dave's review. Don't have it yet, it's in the mail.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Nice looking lighter Bradley. The one I'm using was my Best friends dad who past away a couple of years ago. He was retired air force Chief Master Sgt. Willis, hence the Chief Willis. When he passed they asked me if I wanted anything from his stuff and knowing he himself was a smoker asked if he had any lighters. Now every time I smoke I'm reminded of him. He was a second father to me and a great man.
Also thought I should comment more about outside in the wind. If it is really windy, I just lay the lighter flat over the hole and strike it. It works great.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got mine today, good tip on flicking off plastic stop. Another tip, run hot water an heat can up a bit, put lighter in Fridge for a couple minutes, you are raising pressure on can and lowering pressure on lighter.your fill will be at maximum . Looks like a neat tool.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice! I didn't know they made a pipe lighter insert?? I have a two flame cigar torch insert by the same company and it is awesome. I will be seeking out one of those for sure!! :clap:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I have Zippo shells dating back to 1973. The T-bird inserts never worked. Full stop.
I'll try the Z-Pipe but I'm not hopeful
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.