PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, you said you were going to radius the "horn" at the hard corner at it's stem end, that would have been interesting to see. It looks like the edge was only "softened" very slightly? The original horn extension in video #1 appears to have a more domed shape at the end, or is it my eyes?
In the original pipe, did the briar sleeve only go as far as the trim ring?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, you said you were going to radius the "horn" at the hard corner at it's stem end, that would have been interesting to see. It looks like the edge was only "softened" very slightly? The original horn extension in video #1 appears to have a more domed shape at the end, or is it my eyes?
Some of each. There is some difference in the amount of "dome-ness" but not much. The radius of the actual edge was cut to match the sharp keel on the stem.
In the original pipe, did the briar sleeve only go as far as the trim ring?
The briar tube extended through the horn to the base of the recessed "pocket" for the stem shoulder.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The briar tube extended through the horn to the base of the recessed "pocket" for the stem shoulder.
Yes, I stopped the video. I meant in the other direction, towards the bowl of the pipe. My understanding from what you determined, was this briar was part of the trim ring/horn extension assembly when the pipe was made, and not the shank's wood having been turned as originally thought? That it effectively formed a briar sleeve for the tenon. So it "plugged in" to the mortise drilling in the shank?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That seems to have been the case. An odd way to go about it, for sure, but the only method that allowed the sleeve to exist AND have an "elbow" in the airway at the base of the shank.
How much of all that was planned and how much was improvisation to salvage the design we'll never know, of course. :lol:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
How much of all that was planned and how much was improvisation to salvage the design we'll never know, of course.
Agreed. Have you ever worked on any of the older Larsen pipes? They used the steel tube in the shank mortise into the horn, with a separate reinforcement piece at the military mount end.
larsen48-014-600x450.jpg

larsen48-022-600x450.jpg

You can see on the sandblasted pipe, the outer ring was done a little bit better. Just one of several differences in these hand made "catalog" shapes. Shape 48 by Sven Knudsen, both from the Larsen Copenhagen period.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.