PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Great article, and a great summation of the fact that in the hobby there is a myriad of ways to enjoy oneself- and that's the point- enjoy yourself. 1 pipe and 1 blend and smoke 'er till the pipe evaporates? Why not! 7,000 pipes and a closet filled with more $ invested in baccy than Joan Rivers has in plastics? Why not!
Its particularly pertinant to me right now, as I seem to be in this mode of deciding whether I've got x pipes devoted to x blends, or if I just have a handful of pipes I like and some tobaccos I like, and I throw them together with a little fire and enjoy myself.
Thanks Kevin.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for the post, Kevin. That presents an amazing contrast. I, for one, am always pondering whether to ditch all of the expensive experimenting, which may be "looking for nirvana," and settle on the three blends I've found that suit my taste for their flavor and room note.
While part of the fun is in the endless variety, when does one stop? I guess that's what makes for interesting "horse racing."

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I fish to catch fish and I smoke a pipe just to smoke so for me it's keep it simple, two blends and a few pipes and get about the business of making smoke.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I agree, I have some decent blends in my meagre collection right now and I keep turning back to the good ole' CH. I'm thinking its a phase right now, but who knows, maybe I'll just be ordering a tub of CH per month for the next 30 years and be happy with it. Sure would be cheaper!!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have not yet read the linked article, but would like to preempt Kevin and remind everyone to post a response on the article.
Wow, it's finally starting to sink in!! :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great read Greg, thanks. I definitely identify with the first pipe smoker. Since the beginning of my journey, I have always taken very good care of my pipes, loved a variety of tobacco, and have had many different taste changes in terms of the pipes I smoke and the blends I reach for. I search for the perfect pipe and tobacco pairing and when I find it, Nirvana is where I am taken. I could never mis treat one of my pipes and let it get filthy, I am just not made up that way. I normally have at least 22-25 blends open at any given time because I live for variety. I don’t remember if I have ever smoked the same blend twice in one day, and the thought of smoking the same blend year after year is definitely foreign to me.

I have a neighbor 3 doors down, he smokes one Dr grabow pipe, his Captain Black Gold and he is happy as a clam. When he burns out his pipe, he buys another. He has been doing that for over 50 years. He loves his way, I love mine.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Great article. Thanks Kevin and Greg! I have seen both types of pipers. I tend to lean on the clean side as I want to be able to get that best possible smoke I can. I do not keep a pipe smoking log or tag my pipes though. That really takes dedication.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Awesome article. This and the article about expensive vs inexpensive pipes should be read by every pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.