PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Any of us who have been pipe smokers for a while probably have a varied collection. But what would you say is the most unusual pipe you’ve ever had? And you define what is meant by unusual. Now, it’s not enough to identify that one pipe, but please tell us why it’s unusual.
For me it’s a Ropp cherrywood poker, and I find it unusual for several reasons. First, it’s made from an actual piece of a cherry tree branch, with most of the bark left on the outer bowl. It’s square, or I should say, diamond shaped, but being from a tree, it’s a bit uneven on its sides, so it has a unique feel in the hand. Also, the bottom wasn’t cut perfectly, so it sits at a bit of an angle.
But the most unusual feature to me is its carburetor, or air hole, in the bottom of the pipe. My guess is that the carburetor feature was created to help improve airflow for pipes that were packed too tightly. And I would imagine the carburetor does its job nicely, if you pack too tightly.
But I pack my pipes looser than most smokers, and so that carburetor just made things worse, to the point the pipe was almost unsmokable. Which is why I gave it away a few years ago. Well, since I began smoking again earlier this year, I was given the pipe back. This time, I decided to try Dark Strong Flake in it, and it smoked it like magic, as long as I kept my thumb over that carburetor air hole. So I thought about it, and came up with an easy solution. I cut a short piece of pipe cleaner, and pushed it into the carburetor air hole. The problem is solved, and the Ropp cherrywood poker is now a very good, unusual pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is probably the most unusual pipe I have--except for the meer lining it is 100% vulcanite.

all-rubber-pipe-002-large-600x450.jpg

It shined up pretty though. Never smoked it.

all-rubber-pipe-005-large-600x449.jpg

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Mine would be a yellow Bake-Lite the Pipe bulldog:
3904013890_77717db6a4_z.jpg

3903233351_298c7499ba_z.jpg

My first car was a 1980 Malibu hot rod that color. We meant for it to be painted cream but it came out of the shop bright ass yellow. *shrugs*

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Some interesting pipes so far, can’t really say I have anything too unusual. I did have this magical flute that started talking one day. We were whisked away on an enchanted boat to this island and there was a witch and this dragon who was the mayor. It was awesome!!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If I remember correctly,The Pipe,The Smoke and The Venturi were all made by the same company and out of the same material,which is rockhard,ain't bakelite,got one of those $1000 names. I had a Venturi,bowl got very hot when smoking. Worse than the Medico-Yellobole Brylons!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Paul,your pipes is nekked! But kinda cool! Weird shape-top of bowl area!

Jul 12, 2011
been eye'in this one, if I snag it tonight, it would be in this group :D
Nording Point Clear Pipe - Freehand

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2173_364297451-600x282.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
This my most unusual pipe. It is a century old briar sparkless zeppelin. It is awesome for smoking in the car with the windows down!

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I got this pipe in a lot for dirt cheap. Seller thought it was copper and I didnt really care as I was after the two Grabows. Turns out it's silver!
silverpipe.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Bartlett from the 80s, which one lights from the bottom through a screen. there's a cap that unscrews from the top of the bowl, lol. Mine has a shank, the last few they made were shankless, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.