Your Favorite Sweet AND Heavy English Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Title pretty much says it all - I like Latakia, I like (NON-aro) sweetness - what would you recommend for a Lat-heavy, sweeter English blend?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The only thing that comes to mind for me is Frog Morton on the Town. With its sweetened latakia and the sweet Basma leaf in this blend, I think you'll get a good dose of non-aromatic sweetness (at least in comparison with most other English blends). The only question is whether it's going to be "heavy" enough for you in the latakia department.
Of course, there's the original Frog Morton, which I haven't tried but which has tons of sweetened latakia in it. I just can't say from first-hand experience how it all comes together in the bowl.
Bob

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
It's not that heavy but give Boswell's Northwoods a try. I haven't smoked it a lot but once I was getting this dark chocolate sweetness probably from the cavendish. Very very pleasant. Give it a try and good luck

fishbladder

Lurker
Jun 7, 2014
Dunhill London Mixture, Rattray Red Rapparee for something sweet. Gaslight, Nightcap for Lat-heavy.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I just ordered a pound of Peter Stokkeye Proper English from 4Noggins less than 5 minutes ago. Right now, my go-to Va/Lat with Orientals too boot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might get some blending Latakia and mix it with a sweet aromatic, to suit your taste. I don't think

of English blends as getting too sweet, if they're done right, but maybe that's just my taste.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
My question would be, are you just looking for sweetness from some VA in the blend? If that is the case, many English blends do have a bit of natural sweetness to them. If your looking for extra sweetness, I agree with FM On the Town.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks guys, some good suggestions to check out.
@Daimyo - yes, looking for more "natural" (if that term even applies to pipe-weed) sweetness, not like an aro. I'm OK with some cavendish - one of the more interesting bowls I've had (only once, so no final words on it) was 50/50 Nightcap and MM965; the mild sweetness I get from the 965 melded well with the fullness of NC. I'd love to find similar blends to check out. I'm really intrigued by SG Commonwealth - I've only had 2 bowls of that, but all indications are that careful smoking may bring what I'm looking for from the VA half of the blend.
Keep 'em coming, love hearing what ya'll like! :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
FMOTT and English Chocolate or sure. I also like C&D's USS Mason and their Herman's Own. Lot's of great choices out there so you should have some fun testing all of them.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I just smoked my 2nd bowl of Fusilier's Ration and I got a nice sweet smoky edge. Of course, I've been on a sour Balkan kick so salt kinda tastes sweet too.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't know if it is as lat heavy as you want, but I really like C&D Sweet English. It tastes sweet and smoky, but the retro hale is scrumptious. It has a topping, caramel, I think, but the Latakia taste dominates. LEO is one I think that is sweet without the topping, and I find Dunhill EMP to be sweet when smoked in a corncob.

Status
Not open for further replies.