PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonguebitepipecleaner

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2013
As a relatively new pipe smoker I've swiftly learned that non-aromatic is the tobacco I prefer. So post your favorite non-aromatic and why (in a kind of pseudo review). I'd greatly appreciate it as it will give me some much needed direction for when I order a large concession. Thanking you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Picking just one -- out of dozens of blends I thoroughly enjoy -- is tough; what was #1 yesterday may not be my favorite today, given my mood, the weather, whatever. But my standard, go-to answer is Esoterica's Penzance. It's been at or near the top of my list since I first tried it in 2005, and I still enjoy it.
As for "why": I love everything about this blend. The flake is velvety smooth in the palm of my hand -- unlike any other I've tried -- and it breaks up effortlessly. The unlit smell is a rich combination of orientals and latakia. And, when lit, the blend is virtually seamless; it's very very difficult to pick out the constituent leaf. It all just melds together beautifully into a rich, uniquely spicey smoke. It is not heavy with latakia; the latakia fits neatly into a blend that also includes Virginias, orientals, and black cavendish. And for me it's just an incredibly smooth and pleasing smoke, with an oriental tang I don't get from any other blend.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Picking just one -- out of dozens of blends I thoroughly enjoy -- is tough; what was #1 yesterday may not be my favorite today, given my mood, the weather, whatever.
This.

I would suggest to the OP that he might want to do some exploring of the review sites. You will find lots of opinions on lots of tobacco. Find someone whose taste mirrors yours, and start trying things.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Since you live in Dublin these are all tobaccos that I've smoked and enjoyed and you will be able to buy them in town. In no particular order:

Peterson Irish Oak

Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls

Dunhill Nightcap (great tobacco pretty high in nicotine)

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Fox Dorsico Mixture (similar to nightcap but very much a different tobacco)

Mick McQuaid Plug (great Virginia plug, most newsagents that sell pipe tobacco will have it a bit more prep/drying time than the others pretty strong nicotine very nice smoke)
When I talk about nicotine I have been smoking cigarettes for many years and the pipe is a more enjoyable smoke for me when I have the time, if I smoke a larger bowl of them I will get a slight buzz from them.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
My go to blend is Star of the East by C&D. Why? It has a peculiar buttermilk sour note to it, the likes of which I have not found in other blends. Like chewing leather soaked in salted buttermilk.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Rattray's Three Noggins . The dark oily Virginia leaf tobacco keeps me coming back and with just a kiss of Latakia and hints of Orientals rewards the senses with every puff .

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
As a direct answer, Nightcap is by far and away my favorite tobacco. Very complex, alot to discover in it. And still very enjoyable if you're absentmindedly puffing and not paying attention. If you're really into cigars the nic won't be a problem.

But it's by no means the end all be all.

Status
Not open for further replies.