Your Favorite Brand of Pipes for a Quality Smoke????

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Of course people always have a favorite brand for everything, but in this case I am curious to hear what your favorite brand of pipe is...purely for the quality of the smoke. Over the last year I have become very interested in Peterson System pipes and have owned several. I kind of like their Plip stem. Some of the ones I have owned have been great smokers and others less so. I also have read a lot of people saying they are hard to break in for whatever reason. So I don't know if they are the consummate choice for the "best" smoke or not.
What brand of pipes do you find is the most reliable for consistently providing a quality smoke?
Of course this is very subjective and maybe there is no real right answer.
thanks

Matt

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a long list. Among them, though, I've been awfully impressed with Joh's. Despite his moderate prices on many

of his pipes, all of my Joh's are primo smokers. I love my Savs, Petes, various French brands, MM and OD cobs, and

the superb handwork of Jerry Perry of Colfax N.C. in both briar and Mountain Laurel. Parker, Iwan Ries, Dr. Grabow

Royalton, and my Ser Jacopo is no slouch either. Britannia, Giani, Gouda clay, and more.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
If I'm willing to spend a lot, Castello. If not, Bonfiglioli.
More expensive than some, cheaper than others, I can't see it getting much better. That said, a friend sent me some of his "field pipes" and there's a dublin and a billiard with a couple fills in them that smoke just as good.
Petes, however, have always smoked like dogs for me. It's the only brand I have a chip on my shoulder about.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Just recently got a peterson tankard.What a great smoking pipe.It's my only name brand pipe.The other is a chepo 7 dollar pipe.So far love that pete.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Of course this is very subjective and maybe there is no real right answer.
Like you said; there is no real right answer.

After all, that is like asking; 'What is the best pipe'?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hmm, I don't know that I could answer what Brand of pipe smokes best for me as easy as I could say what attributes I look for in a pipe that usually will deliver an above average smoke. Not that I know anything but I'm comfortable with what I've learned from having had a bunch of different ones over time. My most pricey great smoker is an oil cured silk cut Radice. My least expensive great smoker is an old Wally Frank. Both billiards, both great grains. I look at wall thickness, drilling, tenon and mortise fit, bit comfort, long before I look at the price tag. I'm also a fan of the old, well made estates over modern artisan carvers simply because that's the affordable option that gives me the most hope in getting a really good smoker. It's never been in the cards for me to own several pieces of any one carver or factory to give fair judgement on any one "brand". I'd suspect that's also the case for many of us "Everyman" types.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hmm, I don't know that I could answer what Brand of pipe smokes best for me as easy as I could say what attributes I look for in a pipe that usually will deliver an above average smoke. Not that I know anything but I'm comfortable with what I've learned from having had a bunch of different ones over time. My most pricey great smoker is an oil cured silk cut Radice. My least expensive great smoker is an old Wally Frank. Both billiards, both great grains. I look at wall thickness, drilling, tenon and mortise fit, bit comfort, long before I look at the price tag.
Hi Setter,
You know a lot to make this comment because at any price a pipe with weak or poor technical cuts is a bad candidate to smoke well. Even a bucket pipe has a fighting chance to smoke well if technically well made.
Part of what you say goes back to a debate about what makes the pipe, brand or briar. Interesting idea but it's better said to be Process defines the briar (necessary for that process) and brand determines the willingness (or not) to make the pipe exceptional but all dependent upon the factors that you mention even in a pipe made with the the best intentions.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Neverbend, There's a lengthy thread ongoing regarding "briar vs brand" and your explanation or theory would fit very well into that debate. In fact, it's the best explanation I've seen that could render the argument moot.
Part of what you say goes back to a debate about what makes the pipe, brand or briar. Interesting idea but it's better said to be Process defines the briar (necessary for that process) and brand determines the willingness (or not) to make the pipe exceptional but all dependent upon the factors that you mention even in a pipe made with the the best intentions.
A very solid case being made here IMO.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
From my limited experience, so far, I would say the pipe that gives me the best smoke is most definitely my Baki Meerschaum :puffy:
If limited to briars only it would be my S. Bang. Idk why, it just smokes everything like butter and cream.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Out of my collection I would have to say that my Randy Willy pipes seem to get the most attention. I can always count on them for a good smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Definitely Barling. I own pipes from a variety of makers, but my favorite overall remains the family era Barling pipes. They are the result of the best available raw materials combined with the highest quality processing.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
AALBORG freehand and goes with LANE 1Q.

Perfect combo makes a great smoking always.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
All the pipes I own provide a reliable smoke, otherwise they find new homes. But I guess if I were listing brands that I have never had a bad example:
Ferndown-If a gun were held to my head, I would probably settle on Ferndown as the Duke A Number One

Ser Jacopo

Ashton

GBD

Castello

Rinaldo

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I had a Peterson Christmas pipe in a Canadian shape and I have to say this pipe felt like it had magic powers in it. Everything tasted better in it, smoked better in it burned better in it. I had 2 other Petersons and neither seemed to come close to this one Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.