PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
I know we're really after the contents, but some labels really rise above the rest. What is your favorite label?
Mine is Old Georgetown Tobacco's own Shenandoah blend. Indian girl half-clothed in tobacco, in a field of tobacco, that works for me. Old Georgetown has some great labels on their blends, all printed on nice cardstock (probably 20 years ago).
shenandoah.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bird dog pointer on the Granger can and pouch is my all-time/all-time favorite. Many others

I really like -- C&D Riverboat Gambler, GLP Triple Play, and many others.

While my love of this blends waivers as I try more aromatics, I do love the artwork by Botticelli.
003-442-0020.jpg

And, I think all of the C&D labels are interesting to look at. I vote for D&R as being the worst labels. You can't even tell what is in the tin by the label. And, sometimes a name for one aspect of their line will have a whole different flavor and blend make-up to another being whether it is Silver, Gold or Platinum. One could be an aromatic, but then the Gold version is a non-aromatic blend. They just don't make sense to me. But, I am also easily confused, ha ha.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have always been partial to the old painted tins of Nightcap, simple and yet so very British, with a clay Churchwarden, a sleeping cap and a lit candle all under a starry sky.

Jan 8, 2013
Of course it's hard not to love McClelland's labels...
mccdarkstar.jpg

mcclellandno.24.3.jpg

index-mcclelland-2009-christmas-tobacco.jpg

and of course I even love the label for McClelland Blue Mountain (now Balkan Blue) one of my favorite tobaccos
mtc-blue-mtn-web.jpg

mcclellandbalkanblue.jpg

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
That's kind of weird. My Darkstar tins have a brown label not Navy Blue. Anyone else?

Jan 8, 2013
Jon I believe that Darkstar label is actually black but looks blue due to camera flash or lighting. I may be wrong but I believe these labels were originally black and only said Dark Star, though the newer label is brown and says Dark Star Pipe Tobacco.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Georgetown Tobacco has several fantastic choices if you are looking for great art:
councilman.jpg

"Artistic balance by the blenders hand gathers together the distinct flavor of sweet African Malawi tobacco, delicate Turkish, golden Virginia and Latakia into a classic match. The Latakia does not overpower the blend, but lends its spicy taste as a contrast to the sweetness of this mixture. "
jabberwock.jpg

"Classic, matured Virginia is untreated and delicately sweet. Jabberwock is 'Scottish' in style, with several rich Virginias aged to a lively reddish-brown. It rubs out cleanly, in long ribbons and satisfies the most demanding palate."
Georgetown-flake.jpg

"This blend is slightly younger than some flake tobaccos, allowing for a delicate, sweet flavor and light body. This is an ideal introduction for those unfamiliar with Virginia tobaccos, or a welcomed change of pace for the experienced smoker."
Southern-Cross.jpg

"A fragrant matured cake with the natural tobacco taste of sweet matured Virginias. This leaf is touched with a subtle taste of vanilla to make an aromatic of unusually high quality."
Raven.jpg

"A black mixture as mysterious as the stroke of midnight, yet as kind as the dawn. Fire cured Cavendish, pressed and cased until the leaf turns to a black color. Rich and moist with a delightful vanilla flavor."
persuasion.jpg

"An updated blend with a finer cut for easier handling. Generous portions of Latakia are perfectly balanced with Oriental and Virginia tobaccos. The aroma is rich and the smoke is soft and gentle."
And the best one of them all:

reverie.jpg

"Our most popular aromatic blend with bits of dark Cavendish, bright Virginias and the mellowing effect of burley. It has a delicately sweet flavor that no one has been quite able to pin down."
Pictures and accompanying descriptions courtesy of Georgetown Tobacco. Edit: Fixed picture links

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
That's one hot Native People's babe on the Shenandoah label! Might have to give it a try.
Everytime I open the Sillem's Black tin, I'm expecting the Fuhrur to jump out! Black tin with a cross.
I'm surprised that no one has shown any love for that distinguished and dashing frog :wink:

Jan 8, 2013
This is turning into a great thread. I'm loving all the tin art.
Saint, I was looking at Sillem's a couple days ago. How do you like it?

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Anthony, Sillem's Black is one of my go to blends. I enjoy the Lat base with some black Cav and Virginia to sweeten and Burley for flavor. I consider the smoke to be soothing.
The Kraut blenders have really gotten' my attention. Between Sillem's and Dan's, its a toss up as I smoke several of their blends.
I'm saving a tin of Sillem's Red for the second half of the Football season. Mellow Vaginias with a touch of brown Cavendish.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
My favorite label is probably the classic C&D AUTUMN EVENING artwork (not the new travesty that've opted for).

Second, I would pick McClelland's Private Selection series (British Woods, Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake, etc).

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Georgetown Tobacco has several fantastic choices if you are looking for great art:
These are really fantastic! Wonderful to see fine draughtsmanship on labels. I wonder who did these?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The misty look of Gaslight is my favorite, even the font is cool.
I also enjoy the older tin art of the C&D blends. Some think it's kitschy, but I enjoy them like I enjoy reading the Sunday funnies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
This is my favorite of any tobacco art that I've come across so far:
il_570xn434656532_tau3.jpg

-

Incidentally, this particular brand of plug continues (at least in spirit) in today's Half & Half - the other half made up of Lucky Strike rolling tobacco. Behold, the H&H of yesteryear:

94351l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.