PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have an ashtray that I bought from smokingpipes.com somewhere back in 2000 I think, and it is still my favorite. I take it on the front porch, on my back lanai, in my living room and even my bedroom. I have to have a pipe knocker because I once knocked a pipe on a regular ashtray and dented it. I swore I would never do that again. So here are a couple of pics of my go to ashtray. Anyone else have a favorite?

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I just use an empty tobacco tin as my ashtray. I like to use the lid to prevent accidents :puffy:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I use empty glass vitamin bottles, they have nice lids so it keeps the smell of the ash from lingering in the room. The company just switched to plastic, so I guess I'll have to start using tins once my bottles run out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hobie, that is a nice one. I cannot imagine not having an ashtray without a knocker. What do you guys use inside to knock out ash? I guess you can use your hand but that can get messy. There are tons of cool ones on Ebay, here is one I spotted.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-Wood-Double-Pipe-Holder-and-Ashtray-Amber-Glass-Walnut-cOoL-/140837784288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ca960ae0

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I gently tap the bottom of the pipe with my hand. The opening of the bottle is the perfect size for the bowl, so messes are minimal. It's a system that's served me well for years, but I'm really digging that Peterson ashtray. Urge to buy is rising...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's a nice ash tray cigrmaster. Now, at risk of sounding like a total noob (which I am, so what I can I say), what is the purpose of the cork center? I've seen it many times before...
EDIT: Ohh - knocker - got it! For a knocker I use my palm.
And I only have one pipe ashtray:
ashtray.jpg

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
31Ykzg8YJ7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I only have one ashtray and it looks something like that. Dollar store special! :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
6, next time you order some tobacco, order a couple of knockers for your tray. They are only a couple of bucks. They stick right in your ashtray and when you need to ash, just give it a knock. I have to have one because my instinct is to use the side of an ashtray to knock out ash. I usually order a couple at a time, and replace it maybe once a year or sooner depending if it starts to stink.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bought this one on Ebay early in on my pipe smoking hobby,nee, passion. It spends the summer out on our patio then moves into my workshop for the winter months.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
@cigrmaster I tend to stir up the ash and dottle and just tip it out a few small taps with my fingers usually removes anything stubborn.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a thing for ashtrays I guess, you guys probably think I am nuts but here are a couple of my cigar ashtrays. They are Opus X crystal ashtrays that were very limited when they came out. I have a bunch of other cigar ashtrays I collected over the years, but these two are my best.
B9nBSwWkKGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8BKfBmr4cg_3.jpg

FFOXCrystalAshtray2.jpg

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I"m a cheap sucker, superglued a wine cork in tobbaco tin, works good. The old cajun
now I know what I can do with a couple of those round Peterson tins I've been saving.. I'll post up a pic or two in a couple of days.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Here is mine, and its my favorite, enough room for 3 pipes and a great knocker, (gotta love them knockers :nana: )
images

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
What do you guys use inside to knock out ash?
I turn the bowl upside down and all the ash willingly vacates. Never had a need for a cork knocker for anything but a cob. Everything gets stuck inthe grooves of the pipe. But I knock those on the bottom of my shoes...cuz they're cobs.
I'll get me a fancy shmancy ash tray one of these days. Right now a tamper and a pick are all the tools I require.

Status
Not open for further replies.