Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
For more than a few years, I owned a bar/cafe. It would've been the greatest job in the world were it not for all the damned customers. Without the customers it was just the coolest living room in the world, computers/T1, all the beer/liquor you could want, an 80in tv, and enough industrial filtration so that smoke never touches the leather furniture, and a private patio. I always loved the idea of a cellar being both storage/display for consumables as well as the place for consumption. I live alone in a 3BR house. Eventually that 3rd bedroom will become a miniature version of my bar, a very miniaturized version :( c'est la vive
I believe, as a group, we need to come up with a different term for what 99.999% of us have which is a box, a cabinet, or a closet filled with tins/jars/bags/Mylar. "Cellar" should be reserved for the lucky bastards with an entire room dedicated to smoke and its associated hardware and accoutrements. Unless you can say "gentleman, let us retire to the cellar for a drink and a smoke", you have no cellar. I have no cellar, only shelves of tobacco, but I aspire. I look forward to one day saying, I live in a 2BR/1Cellar house...

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Would you say peck has a cellar? Cause I think I would classify his collection as cellar worthy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe the term was usurped from "wine cellar." The term as used by restaurants and oenophiles means to "lay down" or set aside wine to age. It is used in place of "hoarding" or aging. :puffpipe: A silly attempt to make hoarding or aging sound more sophisticated. Akin to "estate" as opposed to "used." More sophisticated sounding don't you know.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
hmm good point, I want a house with a room just like that, imagine when its cold out side and yet you can go to your cellar and enjoy a smoke in a comfy environment with they style and aesthetics of a bar or a lounge, I don't have a cellar I keep my bags of tobacco in a box, and I have 2 jars that I have stored in the kitchen cabinets and eventually I will have to find another place to store, because my wife will not like the fact that I will be taking her space storing multiples jars of tobacco in the cabinets.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I think I'll adopt the term: Virtual accumulation. Not only is it fairly accurate in description -- a 'virtial accumulation' also minimizes the chances of unwarranted theft.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is working as reverse psychology to make me think that the 20+ blends I currently have in jars are not enough. Must... stockpile... more...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The definition of "cellar"
noun
1. a room, or set of rooms, for the storage of food, fuel, etc., wholly or partly underground and usually beneath a building.
This fits the definition of where I store my tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Yeh, I guess I don't have a cellar, I just have a room down under the house where I store stuff that I want to age. The room with all of my pipes and tobaccoiana is called the smoking room.
100% with Michael. I don't have a cellar, I have a converted 3rd BR that I call my den or smoking den. I have all the material things I collect in there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Call it anything except "man cave", a term coined by pussies and then spread out to the general jingo lingo.
Warren's post hits it on the button. Seems the noun has been "verbed", so people cellar their tobacco, in a cupboard, drawer, box, shelf, sometimes even in a cellar. In parts of The States they're called "basements". Hell, I think you can buy a 'wine cellar' to put in your kitchen or pantry for a few thousand from fancy retailers.
"My stash" works all right except it has a ring of weed to it.
Look forward to the winning entry!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think I'll adopt the term: Virtual accumulation. Not only is it fairly accurate in description -- a 'virtial accumulation' also minimizes the chances of unwarranted theft.
So, there's warranted theft?? :lol: :evil: :D
I like the term, but if you are not a hoarder, how about "virtuous accumulation"? :)

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
[Call it anything except "man cave", a term coined by pussies and then spread out to the general jingo lingo]
jpmcwjr you had me laughing my butt off, I heard the term man cave from every one I know, and really most of the time its the garage.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I have a "cellar" (tins on shelves, pipes on wall rack) in my man cave (a metaphor I dislike but popular these days). In my Dad's day, it would be called a den or study. It lacks extravagant decor such as leather furniture or a TV but still a great place to enjoy a book, pipe, drink, etc, but mostly a moment of peace. :puff pipe:
Perhaps sanctuary is a better word...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I live for "the better word," but I'm not coming up with it offhand. Yes, a cellar should be below grade, or at least heavily stocked to an impressive degree, which my tobacco stores are not. I have a nice array, and some really good "stuff," but to call it a cellar is self-important to silly. My tobacco store, cash, stash, trove, hoard, locker, pantry, hutch, shelf, shelves, nook. They just don't get it, do they? Cellar is a kind of euphemism, a metaphor for what my several shelves and drop-front pipe rack would be. I'll keep working on it and share any bon mots that arise in the process. I would unequivocally call peck's place of tobacco sequestration a cellar, on whatever level of his house or outbuilding it may be. If that ain't a cellar, I don't know what a cellar would be.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Peck? No, peck has no cellar either. So take that peck!! He has what today refer to as a big tobacco store and museum, quite a bit different from a below grade or well stocked cellar. Legally, I believe he actually qualifies as Big Tobacco. My attorney will be calling him after my passing ;)
Dave, actually we could use that!!! We'll just class it up a bit and call it la boîte sous le lit

Status
Not open for further replies.