PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'm looking into having a bit of a "stash" (building a very few tins at a time) for long term storage/aging. My question is if rubber lidded tins (like Cornell & Diehl or GL Pease) have a shorter shelf life than a twist and sealed tin like Dunhill's. Is it still feasable to store them long term, or should they be transfered to mason jars or some such?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, we don't have the luxury of having any Pease tins from 20 years ago for comparison, but I really think you're over-worrying. (You do realize that under those rubber lids is a completely sealed tin, right?) They'll be fine. Just keep them in a cool, dry place.
I have over 125 2oz, 8oz, and 1lb Pease tins in the cellar. Other than keeping an eye on one blend that's consistently swelling the tins a bit -- a good thing in itself, unless the tins eventually prove too thin to handle the pressure -- I'm not worried at all.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I also have some "tins" that seem to be actually made of heavy coated paper or card board. They have the metal pop-top, but I always wondered if the can itself being made of paper (or so it seems) did as well a job as a mason jar.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I also have some "tins" that seem to be actually made of heavy coated paper or card board. They have the metal pop-top, but I always wondered if the can itself being made of paper (or so it seems) did as well a job as a mason jar.

this is what I am curious about also. I have a few Sutliff "tins" that are actually a sealed cardboard container. Anyone try aging in these?? :?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The older 2002 tins from GL Pease had issues. Many rusted and the tobacco went bad even when stored in a cool dark place. From what I have learned they changed the design of those tins and those issues should no longer be a concern. I am however considering storing all my GL Pease Navigator in my usual long term storage containers just to be safe.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
There are many issues with rolled tin containers. The tobacco manufacturer has nothing to do with the packaging other than choosing which one he wants. All of them appear to be using different production companies and products. Single pressed tin and mason jars are the two safest known bets. The main issue for rolled tin is the unknown.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
this is what I am curious about also. I have a few Sutliff "tins" that are actually a sealed cardboard container. Anyone try aging in these?? [:?]
Those Sutliff tins are pretty new, so no one is going to have much experience with them.
Below is the answer I received from Sutliff about aging their tobacco in the containers(tins) that it comes in made of the pressed cardboard.
Hi Kent,
I rec’d your message and sorry it has taken me awhile to reply. Your question was about the tins and long term storage. The product should be fine in the tin it comes in. So no need to put in a mason jar, however any time you keep pipe tobacco in a container for a long period, you should let it air just a bit. Hope that helps!
Thanks for contacting us and check out our new web site.
www.sutliff-tobacco.com

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I rec’d your message and sorry it has taken me awhile to reply. Your question was about the tins and long term storage. The product should be fine in the tin it comes in. So no need to put in a mason jar, however any time you keep pipe tobacco in a container for a long period, you should let it air just a bit. Hope that helps!
Besides the fact that rolled tin is not an FDA approved long term storage container, and not in a sparing mood. But is he saying "air the tin out" or "air the tobacco out"? haha. Both sound like the wrong answer. Oh I got sent a C&D tin, they're single pressed tins simular to the Frog Morton tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.