PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The store owner recognized me as soon as I came in. She said I was in luck since a batch of estate pipes had just arrived.
So here is what she had for me. They are all going to require a lot of work.
The top pipe is a GBD 9465 lumberman stamped "Virgin".
The Canadian in the middle is a Peterson Shamrock. The nickle band has the faux Peterson hallmarks on it. On the bottom of the shank is "Made in Ireland" encircling an Irish harp.
Next is a "Peterson's Killarney". On the bottom is stamped, "Made in Ireland".
On the left is a Kaywoodie of some sort. It's the most worn of all and I haven't cleaned it enough to make out the stampings.
So these should keep me busy for awhile! I know they probably aren't old or valuable, but these are the kind of pipes I like working on. Oh yeah, Six bucks each, as usual.
antique%20run_zpsgz6gecmb.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I know they probably aren't old or valuable

Who cares how they are valued by others as long as you want them. All I ever find are nasty, very well loved pipes that you'd have to pay me to take home. 8O

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Great looking. Especially like the Canadians. At $24 for the lot,if only one smokes to suit you, ya still got a bargin. This is the way my stash grew ! ;-)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks all!
I'll post some pictures if I'm successful in making them presentable.
Judging from a little research I've done on the Shamrock, I'm guessing these pipes (if they all came from the same estate) are probably from the 70s or 80s. Maybe some more info will show up.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@bluegrassbrian
The Virgin designation of GBDs was one of their top lines.. though it appears to have a Crack in the shank.
That it does. Otherwise it appears to be in okay shape. If it had better grain I'd consider sending it out to be banded. Do you think it would be worth doing so? The rim has a little darkening. The tobacco chamber is in okay shape and the stem has just a little oxidation.
What would you do?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'm personally not a big fan of banding.. I'd almost be more inclined to shorten the shank and turn it into a "lumberma'am".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is the stem solid in the mortise? If so, you could always do nothing; just clean it and smoke as is. There'd be some risk that it would worsen, though.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Crack or no, that GBD is nice, pre 80's Id say and a great smoker in it's day, and the Pet's and a Woodie to boot, dam nice haul :clap:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I finished cleaning up the Peterson Killarney for the time being. That pipe had really been knocked around quite a bit and had been reamed savagely with a knife. I think it could be restored some day. For now I'm happy with it. Smoked a bowl of Carter Hall in it but it still tastes of Everclear quite a bit. It's a nice little pipe. I'm thinking of putting it my pipe travel kit for our vacation next fall.
pete%2001_zpsk48aohix.jpg

Peterson%2002_zpsvqzhfrph.jpg

peterson%2003_zpstlpo1jnj.jpg

I'll start on the Shamrock tomorrow. It's in the best shape and will probably be my favorite of the bunch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before you do your magic, six bucks is about right. After, priceless. Have fun with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.