PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Forums member woodsroad was kind enough to send me a "sample" of this glorious leaf. I haven't had a chance to smoke it or use it for blending, yet, but the aroma from these leaves is incredibly sweet and fragrant. The two holes you see at the top of each leaf comes from the way they were strung together for curing. Thanks, Dan!
yenidje-001-600x400.jpg

yenidje-002-600x400.jpg

yenidje-003-600x400.jpg

yenidje-004-600x400.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There was clearly some curing problems here, looks like the hands were bunched too tight. I tried to send you the best of what I had, but most of this lot was scattered with the remnants of the nylon thread used to tie it up. Argh! Very short, fine nylon threads.
_MG_0428-vi.jpg

So, please bear with me as I sound my plea:
If anyone, anywhere in the world, has access to any of the fragrant "Oriental" varieties (excluding Izmir/Smyrna, or the mixed Turkish stuff), please contact me. I'd prefer cured whole leaf, but anything of good quality will make me smile.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll bet that would go well with a Virginia leaf. Something like Virginia #1 or GLP Union Square. Where did you buy it, Dan?

Is there a certain minimum amount you have to buy?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
One pound minimum.
http://www.leafonly.com/oriental_tobacco_leaves_yedidje.php
I will say that their customer service sucks. When I complained about the nylon fibers, they just shrugged their shoulders. They also sent me some moldy Light Fire Cured, and when I brought it to their attention, they basically told me that either it was my fault, or all tobacco is moldy. I could choose whichever excuse I liked, I guess.
So, be forewarned. Maybe you will do better than I did.
These folks: http://wholeleaftobacco.com/ have been great to deal with. I bought some vintage cigar leaf from them which is very interesting. I had to rehydrate it a bit, but I expect to have a good time blending with it. http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Aleman-Seco-Banda-Binder-2AlemanSCO.htm. Don Carey, the owner, is knowledgeable and responsive.

1380942568608-2039725230.jpeg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
but most of this lot was scattered with the remnants of the nylon thread used to tie it up. Argh! Very short, fine nylon threads.
And I was hoping it was something exotic, like camel hair.
woodsroad, I've seen that vendor before (leafonly). Have you smoked much of the Yenidje, yet? Do you think this is the same kind of Yenidje that Russ Ouellette or McClelland would use? From what little I know about the Oriental varieties, the names of actual varieties often overlaps with the names of places, places in which a number of different varieties can be grown. These leaves look right to my eyes and they smell great. I can't wait to smoke them straight and then try adding them to some VAs and maybe some Latakia, too.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was really pleasantly surprised by the fragrance. I could smoke it straight. But I've only smoked it once, and it was while I was straightening up the garage, so I need to do some more attentive testing/tasting. I've already incorporated it into some blends that are sitting under pressure right now. They will be ready to try in early March!
Don at wholeleaftobacco.com says he may have some more oriental varieties coming in direct from a Turkish supplier. I'll keep y'all posted.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Woodsroad, you don't have to buy a whole pound; http://www.leafonly.com/broadleaf_tobacco_leaf_samples.php

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
The best thread I've read in quite some time. A home blenders delight. Thanks guys.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I just tried a tiny bowl and I'm certain this is real Yenidje. It's got those warm, mouth-filling spices and a slight lemony tang. When I smoked Balkan Sobranie, it had that same, fragrant fullness (from the Yenidje, I presume).
So anyhow, they might be lousy salesman, but they've got decent leaf for sale. I'm looking forward to trying this with some VAs.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Sounds interesting, I would love to try that. I'm hoping Mcclelland Yenidje Supreme will give me an idea of what this tobacco tastes like. My Dads side of the family is from Macedonia, hence my interest.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Woodsroad, I just came across this site,thought you might want to investigate:
http://amax-tobacco.com/amax-tobacco.htm
I don't know anything about them. It looks like the site is fairly new.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, supdog. I had not seen that site, but I'm not sure if it's functional. They seem to have the same stock as everyone else (ie, "Turkish" tobacco, no specifics) and no prices.
eastwoodaudio, I've incorporated it into a blend, called "Plan P" that several forum members have sampled, including lestrout, papipeguy and mirain.

Status
Not open for further replies.