PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It had come to my attention as of late, that in my exploration of different blends over the past two decades, that I had not tried an oriental forward blend. I made a few inquiries, and Yenidge Highlander came highly recomended. The blend itself is composed of yenidje orientals, syrian and cyprian latakia, with red virginia and maryland to balance it out. It sounded similar to balkan blends that I enjoy, so I chose the appropriate pipe for the task. The tin note presented a spicy sweetness not unlike the very lightest of cinnamon with fruit undertones. The latakia smokiness is detectable, but very far in the background. Upon lighting, I am greeted with the familiar sweetness of virginias and the lat campfire on the back of my tongue, but on the retrohale is when the blend really revealed itself to me. There is a sweet exotic spicyness that I instantly fell in love with much like the first time I made the acquaintance of Lady Latakia. Would highly recommend this one to an english fan, but anyone seeking something different should give it a go. Smoked in a Weaver crossgrain blowfish with no perceivable tongue bite.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Nice review. It's one of my favorites. Just enough Latakia. I can't help wonder how long this supply of McClelland Syrian is going to last. I try and buy one of a couple of the Grand Orientals whenever I stop in a B&M.
Mike S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the review! I have a very old tin of this stuff kicking around in the "cellar", and I always wonder about its taste. Nice job writing this review. :clap:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks guys, that was my first review. :) It was the first time I had experienced anything that new since the first time I started trying english blends back in the midnineties, and it was quite an eye opener! Need more exploration in the oriental forward category to be certain, but this may be my new go to genre! As far as knocking Balkan Sobanie out of my top spot, not sure...yet. :wink: As a side note, my wife even commented how nice this one smells. She only says that when I am smoking the occasional bowl of vanilla pie from my local B&M.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for the detailed review. I'll have to give this one a whirl. I have some Yenidje Supreme, but decided that I missed the Latakia, so I've added about 20% Syrian blending latakia to it and put the result away to meld for a few months.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Given that Syria shows no inclination to produce this tobacco, when the big blending houses like McClelland run out of their supply, it could be a long wait, if ever, for it to be found once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.