PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ty1on73

Lurker
Mar 24, 2013
I'm new to the pipe collector's guild and yesterday I came across a rustic briar which has a silver band with the image of a dog (retriever or setter) under the dog was the word "Sterling". I removed the "push" bit and the tenon appears to be silver as well. While in the shop I could not read the stamp or locate any other hallmarks besides the dog. At $15 I paid the gentleman, put the pipe in my pocket and smoked a couple of bowls with the boys. This morning I decided to clean my new find and research the hallmark.
Cleaning the shank I could see with the naked eye what appeared the be the KBB clover. I cleaned a little more and still couldn't make out the rest. I assumed I found another Kaywoodie or Dinwoodie. Using my jeweler's eye and a little lemon oil, I was able to make out the stamp "KBB (in clover) Yello-Bole, Cured With Real Honey, R (in circle), Premier, Imported Briar.
Now the conundrum, Yello-bole with push bit (no stinger), sterling band and tenon, no other hallmarks besides the dog and not a damn thing on the internet that could explain this configuration on a Yello-Bole; which is suppose to be the substandard Kaywoodie. plus these characteristics do not make sense. Not complaining about the pipe, even though I haven't smoke it, but I already love its uniqueness.
Can any of you lads or lasses provide any insight to what I may have? I'm guessing it is a refurbish. I"m still researching the maker's mark (dog) on the silver.

ty1on73

Lurker
Mar 24, 2013
8585078865_2db834ff9c_z.jpg
[/url][/img]
8585091505_8ddabe87b4_z.jpg
[/url][/img]
8585088143_6eff260f99_z.jpg
[/url][/img]
8585126481_b1c6786bda_z.jpg
[/url][/img]

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Could be that someone, at sometime, replaced the stem with whatever would fit and made the silver band and engraved it. I know nothing about the pipe in question, it is just a surmise.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree with the repair theory. Does that stem have a logo or trademark? Most older YB's I've seen have a propeller looking inlay or a yellow circle with a black dot.

ty1on73

Lurker
Mar 24, 2013
[I agree with the repair theory. Does that stem have a logo or trademark? Most older YB's I've seen have a propeller looking inlay or a yellow circle with a black dot. ]
no eJames the stem is not marked so i too agree with the repair theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.