PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
Hello everyone! This is my first forum post!

I am considering buying a "yello-bole" brand pipe but I don't know much about pipe makers and the quality of their pipes. It is a new, rustic style pipe with thiner bowl walls than what I'm used to seeing. Does anyone have any advice about yello-bole or have any experience with them? I need help quick! Bidding on this pipe ends in 24 hours!!!

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
I'd stay far away from them. Most are made out of what Yello-Bole calls "Brylon". I bought one way way back when I decided to buy a pipe for ish-n-giggles. Worst thing I ever bought. Smoked unbelievably hot, ungodly wet, and was a pain to clean.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
Be careful about Yello-Bole pipes. A lot are made from "Brylon", a mixture of briar dust and nylon. They are reported to smoke very hot and wet, though some folks like them. If it were me, I'd check and make sure the pipe your looking at is made from briar.
From the S.M. Frank website:
"In 1966, S. M. Frank developed a synthetic material called Brylon as a cheaper alternative to briar. The material, a high temperature resin mixed with wood flour, was cheaper than briar, more resistant to cracking, chipping, charring and burnouts. However to some there are some drawbacks, heavier in the mouth, hotter when smoked quickly, and also simply put, "wasn't briar." Millions of these pipes have been sold in the 3 decades since and continue to be part of the Yello-Bole and Medico lines."
http://www.smfrankcoinc.com/ybmd/yellobole/yellobolepipes.htm
I still suggest, stick with briar. Just my .02 cents.
CACooper

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have an old Brylon pipe and it is a stinker. basicall it is the same material that synthetic decking is now made from. There are much better pipes for the same money.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I've only ever had one Yello-Bole, it was free...and brylon. Regardless of being a free pipe I hated it more than a broken toe.

If a fella really wants to get in to pipe smoking a corn cob is a cheap way and great choice to start the hobby.

Also a careful search will find you great pipes for little money on ebay and other places. I found my 1960's GBD "Historic" zulu for $5 at a flea market and a 1934 top grade Dunhill in great condition without a stem for $2.38 (it was on sale. 10% off the price!) at an antique store. Flea markets and antique stores can show some great finds and even if they don't you can leave your name and number (or a card which may give them more inclination to call you) with them so you may get some sweet deals.

My last tip on this subject will be always try and haggle. Hah I may be young but I was raised cheap.
Here is an Ebay seller who regularly has well restored estate pipes of many different brands with prices that are also within the reach of a fella in any price bracket.

Good luck and welcome to the brotherhood. We're friendly folks in this neighbourhood and are always willing to offer some advice.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
"Hate it more then a broken toe" funnny....

I have a medico that is not briar and it gets so hot so quick I Can't hold the bowl.

And no, I. Don't smoke it very often. To bad cuz its a cute pipe. But toooo hot.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Pre-1966 Yello-Boles can be fine. They were sort of a value line to Kaywoodie. (I may be getting mixed up but I doubt it.) But yeah, make sure not to get a Brylon pipe!

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
If you get a Yello-bole, I would make sure it is a KBB yello-bole. That is what they were called previous to the brylon era. Kaywoodie used to be in the upperclass of pipe making so they had to do something with the not to high grade Briar. Those got the Yello-bole label. Early Yello-boles are a very decent pipe, then they went to the Brylon age and it went down hill.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Problem with brylon is that it can make some attractive pipes -- I have one I always wish I could smoke, but the one time I did decide to try smoking it it was just. . .awful.

mrhemi71

Lurker
Feb 17, 2011
I have a Kaywoodie that I bought a few months ago that smokes the same way, hot and wet (Insert joke here) I'm not sure if more expensive kaywoodie pipes are better, but I'm not impressed so far. Are they now all the same between Kaywoodie/Yello-Bole/Medico?

Status
Not open for further replies.