Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgetzin

Lurker
Jul 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

I just passed the one-year mark on my first pipe that I love dearly. It is a Vauen author shape, 1677. The cakes getting lumpy and a flake of cake came off when I tapped it. I spent some time reaming it VERY carefully to get the bowl even.
Of course I’m concerned about burnout. I’m hoping that I am being over protective and that doubt about burnt briar means it is not happening.

However - post-ream the pipe smoked more evenly and easily. This seemed good. It even seemed to smoke cooler. I’m not noticing any harsh smell and there is at times an odd taste, but is that the cake having been reamed? My reaming was so subtle that I doubt it could change much of the draw dynamics - but the airflow seems to be so much better and he ember is SO much more even. Is this due to the bowl having the uneven cake removed so the temperature is more uniform at the edges?

I’m very concerned about burn. I might have been tasting some acrid tobacco. I have a new tin of Dan Da Vinci and it is drying unevenly - some very wet, some crispy - so I may be thrown off there. I’ll try to upload some photos to show ge chamber. I didn’t uncover what looked like scorching when reaming. I didn’t cut past the original carbon bowl treatment. (Vauen has top notch bowl treatments by the way, one other pipe I no longer use had some horrible black plasticish junk.)
So - would I DEFINATELY smell harsh burning from a charred chamber after my bowl is empty and still warm? I’m not noticing anything out of the ordinary.
As for taste, there was a bit of harshness this time - but this may have been the tobacco and there is this ghosting of a paraffin

-like wax taste that I suspect is from matches and I taste that is sometimes in all my pipes.
So - thanks in advance - I really hope there is no burnt briar - let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

You can definitely taste and smell burning wood when a burnout begins to form. It sounds like your fine. The taste your experiencing is probably some left over tobacco that had become a part of the cake. Little pieces of tobacco that don't get burnt all the way can easily become part of cake if not removed, and those pieces can sour and become stale over time. At least this is my two cents on the matter.

dgetzin

Lurker
Jul 14, 2018
Hello mother nature, thanks so much. Here are some photos. The black background is AFTER a good rye whiskey clean with q tips. (I know, I should use ever-clear, but rye has a lot less sugar than bourbon and this is my aromatics pipe, so I'm not worried there.) The white spots I think are probably from my pipe tool getting the original treatment to scratch "bright." I gently tested on the "varnish lump" at the bottom, and it seems fine.
I have had some cake be gummy and dry-tar like while some is sparkly and very dry and crumbly. Is this normal?
Again, this is likely ok, I hope it is. The pipe seems to smoke better overall after this anniversary reaming, SO I hope this is of help to other people new to pipes, and please do feel free to chime in with your opinions on the state of my Vauen's chamber. Thanks so much!
a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d.JPG

e.JPG

f.JPG

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The cake still looks uneven to me. But that should not be a problem.
If you rinse the chamber with hot water from the tap after a smoke, then towel dry, your cake won't build fast, and the towel reaming will remove bits of partially smoked bits of tobacco.
A well maintained pipe need never- at least seldom- undergo alcohol cleaning.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I have had some cake be gummy and dry-tar like while some is sparkly and very dry and crumbly. Is this normal?
It is based on my experiences, but dry and crumbly is preferable. I think that when the ember doesn't quite expand all the way out to the walls of the chamber the cake left can be softer. It's as if it's a tobacco resin that didn't burn into an ash.
The chamber looks to be okay to me. There is some dimpling in the bottom and the one right above the draft hole is a little suspect (it's a vulnerable area that doesn't normally form a lot of cake), but they appear to be small areas where some of the cake has dislodged?

dgetzin

Lurker
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks so much - the lumps in the bottom are dried drips solid from the original bowl treatment. Thank so much for the advice! For the record, the pipe is performing beautifully, the draw is better and the familiar occasional "paraffin wax" taste is gone after the alcohol cleaning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Forums members, including me, avoid reaming by scooping out the ash, then wiping out the bowl with a stiff paper towel or napkin, keeping just the carbon layer but no cake. This preserves the diameter of the bowl and eliminates the need for reaming, or a reamer. Some enjoy building cake, but this no-cake approach works well for my pipes over many years. Just a thought.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Mother's got it, & I'm sure you're ok, just some unburned dreck embedded in the old cake that you've uncovered. Personally I'm mainly a "cake person," so that may color my thoughts. Reaming's 2nd nature to me. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad always smoked only one pipe at a time, Granger, and he smoked all day long. I never saw a pipe burn out at the bottom, always on the wall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Duplicate; the site said I was "moving too fast," and when I clicked again, I triple-posted. Sorry.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That chamber looks fine to me. I'd take more cake out yet, I think it's thicker than it looks. But it doesn't matter, no harm either way here.
I have had one pipe "burn out" at the bottom, or rather, I had a pipe I sold returned to me burnt to hell at the very bottom. I'm convinced that it smoked dead dry right to the bottom and the user tried very hard to light the little ash that was left, and scorched the bejesus out of the heel of the bowl.
But briar is tough stuff, and especially a pipe that has been in service for a time and is now used to the heat... no worries.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Duplicate; the site said I was "moving too fast," and when I clicked again, I triple-posted. Sorry.
Whenever that message shows, you just need to click on Forums, not the page body. There, most likely, you'll see that your original post has been, uh, posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.