PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This was the year of the Author shape for my collection. I added a Ryan Alden interpretation at the NOLA show and yesterday Chris Asteriou notified me that this one was ready. I had commissioned it in the summer, but Chris is a busy guy. In mid-November, he sent me some raw pictures of the pipe, which was ready for the blaster. During blasting, a serious flaw was uncovered, so he had to start again. I love Chris' cross-grain Cumberland stems and that was requested. This one is winging it's way over from Greece.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Absolutely beautiful!! I have an author which is among my top smokers.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Nice; I've looked at a bunch of Savinelli Author shapes and they've intrigued me. But nothing like this - sweet.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a sweet looking Author Al. Hope she lands safe and sound soon. :puffy:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Absolutely stunning. I've always thought of the Author as a not so distant cousin of the Rhodie and have several in my collection. That one however has me drooling on myself. Nice addition to your already impressive collection. Dutch

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Beautiful pipe.
I purchased my first author this year and I'm loving it. I ended up commissioning my first pipe which happens to be an author with a cumberland stem and a small wood inlay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Lovely pipe. I like how it flows as a single shape, like a big comma, reminiscent of the 1920s design style.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Great pipe, Al. From one of the top artisans working today; and a helluva nice guy too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's one of the most intricate stem patterns I've seen, just masterful in its craftsmanship. I have two authors, a Peterson K&P and a Luciano. Also, a cousin, the Diplomat shape from Johs. Nothing quite like yours, but a good wide-bowled shape for unfolding more complex blends. You get a six tobacco blend, and learn why it is worth the attention.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This thread seems like a perfect time to remind everyone that the official contest shape for the upcoming North American Pipe Carving Contest (June of 2016) is the Author.
Meaning, someone is going to win SEVEN pipes as nice as Chris's---along with a custom display stand from high end furniture maker---for $25. 8O
I'm not kidding. Twenty five bucks.
Happens every year. (Chance Whittamore won last year's set of cavaliers)
Tickets will go on sale in plenty of time, so don't worry about clicking anything at the moment. I just wanted to give you Author enthusiasts something to daydream about (pipedream about?) through the coming cold weather.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys, I'm anxious to get this one in hand.
Here's the granddaddy of Author shapes, the Dunhill CK (Shell, 1971)

The Sasieni Ashford (Shape 88) is considered an Author, but it is not as chunky. This is a Four Dot Rustic.

I still have one gaping hole on my "Holy Grail" list, a Comoys 256. These are like hens teeth and it will be pricey.
Comoy+Author1.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Yowza! The rustication on the bowl is outstanding but I don't know if the block of material he used for that stem was grained that way or if he can maneuver it while softened to make that appear as grain, however he does it he hit that one out of the park, I know you will enjoy it Al his pipes smoke great.

banjo

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I really enjoy following your acquisitions Al, as you have amassed a fine collection on several levels!
How much does she weigh? I'm sure since this was a commission, the weight lands in the sweet spot you prefer, but I am still curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.