PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Today we take a journey to that most essential part of Pipe Smoking: Tobacco!
Over the centuries, tobacco has been called by many names. Some are strange, others obscure, and many forgotten. Here are but a few of the many monikers Tobacco has adopted over the years.
--
Petunia
noun

1. Any of various widely cultivated South American plants of the genus Petunia, having alternate, entire leaves and funnel-shaped flowers in colors from white to purple.

2. An obsolete word for "tobacco plant," from Portuguese petum, from Guarani (Paraguay) pety - The word first is recorded (in German) as bittin; it survives as the regular word for tobacco only in Breton butun, but it was in use in English in 17c.
--
Weed
noun

1. A plant not valued for use or beauty

2. as slang

----a. Tobacco, c. 1600

----b. Marijuana, only since 1920's
Note: Since the usage of "weed" as slang for tobacco dates to considerably earlier than its usage for Marijuana - we win?
--
Sot-Weed
noun

1. Tobacco, archaic provincial usage from 14th century England
Note: This is interesting, depending on the word you decide to use as the derivation of the prefix "Sot" - this term means either "fool-weed" or "Sweet-weed" - take your pick :)
--
Check out Past Editions of "Ye Olde Forgotten Pipe Term"
#1 - Lunt

#2 - Kinnikinnick

#3 - Estaminet & Chasse

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love it! I think I'll smoke a little weed, but not what you think. Or I think I'll light up a bowl of petunia. How cool is that.

Language is a lovely jungle, always changing and ever various. Thanks for this little safari into the wilds of words. Keep

'em coming. Delight.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Oops. My mistake!
I made a bit of a typo there, the source I used, A Dictionary of Archaic and Provincial Words, Volume 2, is a collection of words dating FROM the 14th century FORWARD. So, when I was adding in the explanation at the end of the definition, I guess I wasn't really paying attention... :oops:
There is no actual origin of usage date that I could nail down, likely the usage dates from the 1500's - when the Spaniards introduced tobacco into Europe. Likely, this usage was probably eventually shortened to just, "weed."

Status
Not open for further replies.