Ye Olde American Tobacco Tins Pictorial -- (Very Image Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
A3edSJS.jpg

DLxTa8K.jpg

5UYotzE.jpg

VVnLamG.jpg

yIHgpRH.jpg

kt5yOEr.jpg

g3RzV1e.jpg

Hb0NykP.jpg

Kd7TyhR.jpg

l2fCyIJ.jpg

4t7Ba7I.jpg

pio838C.jpg

7iC2az3.jpg

G5c8MaM.jpg

WztYbr1.jpg

akwzy19.jpg

FLaabHZ.jpg

mQTiYqG.jpg

SZj3iMI.jpg

53yhtlz.jpg

IQ6SLoq.jpg

kGU1aTi.jpg

SQ3Apin.jpg

DzN6ju8.jpg

Dn3pC1n.jpg

kQgGy8p.jpg

0hXPvC7.jpg

nB3ceYh.jpg

sZI9TvK.jpg

57Pnx8F.jpg

PVufO2F.jpg

u2EEfPs.jpg

bwifLsX.jpg

NH4wYXl.jpg

cTgdNTG.jpg

5Tore7z.jpg

EbEHytI.jpg

SJrzjwI.jpg

vGmp6Ae.jpg

SLTYZ6A.jpg

gCTEXqs.jpg

H1s0u9h.jpg

deAKdGV.jpg

gb0oxAV.jpg

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Cool pictures lowercase, do you happen to know when those were made?

~Ron

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What a marvelous assemblage of pix! Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post them for our edification! :clap:

I think Lucky Strike came out around 1913, or so.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Makes me want to keep all my current tins and hand them to my grandkids in 30 years. Think they'll be worth anything then?

May 31, 2012
Very cool. one of those tins says "not made by a trust" what does it mean by that?
That's a great question pylorns, thanks for asking --- this is why I like looking at all this old stuff, it invariably leads to questions and one must seek answers, if one is so inclined, and I am.
It's kinda complicated, but basically, in today's terms, it'd be called a monopoly, from wiki:

Its reference to trusts today is anachronistic. At the time of its passage, the trust was synonymous with monopolistic practice, because the trust was a popular way for monopolists to hold their businesses, and a way for cartel participants to create enforceable agreements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act
In reference to tobacco in particular, we gotta look toward The Big Duke, from wiki:

In 1885, James Buchanan Duke acquired a license to use the first automated cigarette making machine (invented by James Albert Bonsack), and by 1890, Duke supplied 40% of the American cigarette market (then known as pre-rolled tobacco). In that year, Duke consolidated control of his four major competitors under one corporate entity, the American Tobacco Company, which was a monopoly in the American cigarette market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Buchanan_Duke
...and it turns out that Duke was pivotal in the development of the British tobacco industry as well, because he went over there and started trying to buy out all the companies, he did in fact buy Ogden's (famous makers of St. Bruno) and a sort of tobacco war broke out --- many of the British manufacturers amalgamated into one force, known as Imperial --- it's one of the main reasons that British tobacco history is so convoluted and difficult to get a good bean on.
Click on "Formation (1901-1980)" on the official Imperial site and you'll find this:

The American Tobacco Company (ATC) set aside a massive 30 million dollars to buy up British tobacco companies one by one at the start of the 20th century.
The key figure was James Buchanan Duke, head of ATC, whose aggressive methods had created a virtual monopoly for the company in the US.
Individually, British companies, even those of the size of WD & HO Wills and John Player & Sons, could not survive.
When Duke arrived in Liverpool in 1901, he walked into Ogden's factory and bought on the spot.
Duke then approached other British companies and is reported to have burst in on the Player brothers, saying: "Hello, boys. I'm Duke from New York, come to take over your business."

...they go into further detail.

http://www.imperial-tobacco.com/index.asp?page=43
So, the "not made by a trust" is proclaiming that the company is indeed independent,

much the same thing happened in the UK too, like with the Irish firm Gallaher, who had refused

to join the Imperial Group...

4nDM8Mo.jpg

I just love this kind of stuff.
Many of those tins are pretty scarce and rarely seen, I wish I could afford to actually collect 'em, but I ain't Rockefeller so I collect their images instead, I dunno exactly how to date the golden age of lithography, but these are examples of it.

May 31, 2012
"To compete with the phenomenal success of RJR's Camel, American introduces Lucky Strike [cigarettes in 1916], the name revived from an 1871 pipe tobacco brand that referenced the Gold Rush days. On the package, the motto: "It's Toasted!"
Many thanks Cortez, I never knew that! I had no idea it was a reference to the goldrush days!
I do know what L.S./M.F.T. means though!

LOL

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
very cool collection, the one thing I noticed is the companies of old lacked imagination in naming the product at least in comparison to today's blends.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for sharing Mister! The art on those tins is great. My favorite is the L.A.W. with the old safety bicycle on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.