Status
Not open for further replies.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
2favpipes_05-600x402.jpg

2favpipes_03-600x400.jpg

2favpipes_01-600x304.jpg

Friends, these are two of my favorite pipes. They are excellent smokes, the size is just right--and I love the shape of each. But what are the shapes? The smooth pipe (Pershing Square #447) I'd call a...Zulu? A horn/zulu hybrid? And the sandblasted pipe (Heritage Antique #12--pipedia says this was a Kaywoodie brand meant to compete with Dunhill in the 1960s) a... flaired yachtsman? An urn/dublin hybrid? Is there even a difference between a zulu and yachtsman?
If any of you folk can lend insight or opinions, please do. These pipes are joy whatever shape they are--but I'd love to know more about them--or see what consensus we get on shapes. The bent dublin/zulu/yacht/horn shape is confusing to me.
Title fixed - Cosmic

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have four of these type pipes, three slightly bent that I think of as zulus, and one with a straight stem I see as a Dublin. I too like their lithe flow and three of them have ample bowls, and the smaller one (a Chacom) is a great flake pipe. Yeah, these are nifty, good clenchers, definitely jaunty. I'll let others sort out the nomenclature.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I think they are the same thing as well, but I go with Zulu because of the Battle of Isandlwana. 8O

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I just realized I broke rule #9--I didn't write my title in caps! Sorry all. Can't edit it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The yachtsman has a sharp heel, and the Zulu and woodstock have a round heel.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Heritage pipes are very nice. Kaywoodie called their 01 shape a yachtsman, so maybe that. The other I would call a horn. To me, a canted Dublin has a little more definition at the transition from stem to bowl. They are however, your pipes so you get to call them whatever you like. Any way you describe them, they are great looking pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
See, he's not just a pretty face, he knows some stuff because he's the Captain.
:rofl:
Here's what I mean. Some of my Savinelli yachtsmen. Notice the sharp transition from bowl to shank at the heel. The bowl and bent stem gives the illusion of a forward cant, but the chamber is actually vertical.
img_20170620_005927-337x600.jpg

Here is my '74 Dunhill Zulu. The bowl and chamber are canted forward, and the transition from bowl to shank is smooth and curved at the heel.
img_20170610_155758-337x600.jpg

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Gorgeous pipes! The Savinellis are very similar to a Danish freehand shape I really like. The 5th pipe down as well as the last in the Sav line-up appeal to me especially. What a collection!
Does the flared rim on the bowl of the Heritage Antique mean anything to anyone? Is it just a little extra fancy--or does it push it a bit toward cauldron/urn territory?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Does the flared rim on the bowl of the Heritage Antique mean anything to anyone? Is it just a little extra fancy--or does it push it a bit toward cauldron/urn territory?
With that forward cant I would still call it a Zulu. The carver just went that extra mile to make it more interesting. Beautiful grouping by the way. I love anything zulu/yacht/woodstock/cutty related. Just something about that elegant curved stem and forward canted bowl.

Reactions: beargreasediet

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The Savinelli 904s and 9004s are a particular addiction of mine. I went from one to ten in just over a month. :oops:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nah, had to google the shape number. May have to get one though. It is a very good example of a Zulu. The Savinellis and Dunhill above are mine though.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
That amazing pipe posted by Chasingembers is owned by the fellow who publishes Peterson Pipe Notes. I have quietly coveted that pipe since I first saw it, but is a Peterson one-off. I can't think of anyone better to have it than that gentleman. His site is excellent.
The B35 is much more muscular than my two willowy pipes originally posted, but the stout proportions and overall flow of the B35 really hits a sweet spot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.