PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I purchased a Xikar Pipeline lighter a few months back and was very happy with it. I only use it at home as I'm afraid I will lose it if I take it anywhere. I took it outside today and used it to light my pipe then it was out of fluid. I just filled it up three days ago. I think it might be leaking, I dont know for sure. I'm going to fill it up again and see. Also the part where you put thr flint is a little loose and wiggles a little. I took the cover off to tighten it but can't get to the screw. Has anyone else had these problems. I'm thinking of sending it to the factory for repairs.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Yep. I just did some research and they offer a lifetime warranty. I just filled out a cunsumer return form and am going to send it in. I still think they are great lighters though. I'm going to miss it for a few weeks, glad I have some back up lighters.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Sorry you're having a problem with your lighter. I use a Bentley pipe lighter that I purchased from smokingpipes.com for about $5. I think it works very well, and it would make a nice backup for you to have.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I hope they resolve the problems for you. That's why I like to carry around two lighters and a box of matches, just in case.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I have a Xikar pipeline as well. and all the same issues with it. It has a tidbit of a wobble to the flint rod and stand, as well as a seemingly short fuel mileage. I get probably a dozen or so bowls for each fill up. I think that's low but then again it's my only butane lighter so what do I know. But I have sent mine in 2 times already for repairs and they've done great each time. I figure if you don't mind waiting 2 weeks and paying a bit of postage every 3 months then it's a great alternative to an old boy. Especially if ya lose it!

Jul 12, 2011
I was think'in about one before my father's day gift of an Old Boy and Zippo with pipe-insert...I have to say these two are the best lighters I have ever had...wouldn't go in any other direction...and the Zippo was less than $20 :puffy:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
mp31guitar
Before you send it off try a few things first. I have a Xicar lighter that my local B&M showed me how to fix before he was gonna send it in for me.
1) Depressurize the lighter before you refill it. If you use Xicar fule, it will come with a ring of adapters. The smallest one is to purge the tank of air before refilling it. Push it down on the refill spout a few times until either nothing comes out anymore or you start getting a really cold feeling (that's the gas). I complained about mine running out after only a couple of bowls and it turned out my tank was full of air, which prevented me from properly refueling it.
2) Change out the flint. Zippo flints fit and most Xicar lighters can be pulled apart for easy access to replace them.
And yes, Xicar lighters do have a lifetime warranty and if they can't fix your problem they will send you a brand new lighter. A lot of B&Ms that sell vicar products will just swap it out for you if they have the same lighter in stock. Saves you time and gets them a customer.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Depressurize the lighter before you refill it.

my tank was full of air, which prevented me from properly refueling it.

That's a nice tip to know, eaglerico. I have a different style butane lighter which may have had the same problem. I used my pipe tool to purge it. It will take a week or so to know if it worked.
Thanks.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I agree - the depressurizing tip is a must. My first refill I was shocked at how little use I got and then I went to their site and saw their instructions. Must read!
Also, if you haven't filled out a registration on their site (assuming you didn't order from them) be sure to do so and they will send a little leather sheath for your lighter - at no cost. Might help you carry it around :)

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I've heard many others complain about the flint screw issue. It's not your fault, it's a design flaw. I've heard some people put a bit of Loctite on the threads, and that will keep it in place. Don't purchase the "permanent" type -- get the blue "removable" type. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm You'll be able to break the seal when you need to change the flint, but just a drop of that stuff should help to keep it from backing out. Also, don't worry about accumulation on the threads -- it's basically sugar water, so you can just clean it off with an old toothbrush and water or alcohol if you so desire.
As for the fuel tank issue, did you bleed the tank before refilling? If you don't bleed the tank each time, air slowly accumulates in the tank, which means less fuel can be added to the lighter. As this air bubble grows inside your tank, the capacity gets less and less. So even if you sit there for ten minutes with the butane refill pushed into your lighter, only so much butane can actually be transferred to the lighter. You can bleed the tank with a clean, small screwdriver or other similar object. Just make sure it is clean and not too sharp. Debris can be transferred to the tank during filling (which is bad), and if you use a sharp object, you could damage the fill valve, which is obviously bad as well.

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
A trick I learned about bleeding butane lighters: you normally bleed it with the bottom up -- that releases the remaining butane. BUT it needed propellant to push the butane into the lighter. After several refills, the lighter may be half full with propellant, decreasing the capacity of the fuel tank. If you also bleed the lighter holding it upright (top up) it will release any propellant still in the tank & you'll find the lighter will last longer between refills. It's worked great for me, but as usual, YMMV.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Pipeline is basically a flawed design. I went through three of them before giving up. On all three the flint tube separated. They lose their fluid quickly, it seems they light only when they want to. A real pain in the ass. Granted the warranty is good and the service is excellent. I finally wrote them about the problems and they sent me a new one. It has not fallen apart yet, but I rarely use it. Still, it was a nice gesture on their part. It would be a great lighter if they could fix the flint tube issue and make sure it lights when its supposed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.