PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
100 years ago tobacco was seen in a different light. Not only the government, but the Red Cross was fully behind the selling of tobacco to raise funds, and providing tobacco to soldiers far from home or in need of comfort in their hospitals. Below is a series of pictures that are pretty much self explanatory.

ww1-poster.jpg

ww1-poster1.jpg

ww1-red-cross-selling-tobacco-600x269.jpg

ww1-red-cross-selling-tobacco1-600x272.jpg

ww1-opening-tobacco-from-american-girls-tobacco-fund-600x262.jpg

ww1-photo1-600x429.jpg

ww1-photo1-caption.jpg

ww1-photo2-600x425.jpg

ww1-photo2-caption.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My late Father used to trade his cigarette ration with the local Germans for camera equipment when he was part of the army of occupation in Berlin in 1945. I seem to remember him telling me they got 100 Players cigarettes a week in a tin and he would buy his pipe tobacco at the NAAFI store.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
During the unofficial "Christmas truce" of 1914, some English, German, and French soldiers put aside the insane carnage for an all-to-brief moment and met in no-man's-land to, among other things, share tobacco and smoke together. If that's not an aid to man, then I don't know what is.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Here is a story abut the Christmas Truce from this link

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-real-story-behind-the-1914-christmas-truce-in-world-1674671558

christmas-box-600x166.jpg

and a pic and description of the Princess Mary Christmas Box

princess-mary-christmas-box.jpg

princess-mary-gift-box-600x220.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
...there's a tin I'd pay good money for...
If you can find one today, then you would pay a pretty penny for they are highly prized as collectibles.
If memory serves that brass box was filled with 20 cigarettes, one ounce of compressed pipe-tobacco, a pipe, and a tinder lighter, all supplied by Dunhill, and was presented to officers. It also included a Christmas card, and an image of Her Royal Highness Princess Mary. Another version included chocolate and a pencil (in a rifle shell casing) in lieu of the smoker's items.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
This musing is from the book A Textbook On Tobacco by Carl Werner. The info I have on the book says it is published in 1918 but the content reads like it was written in late 1914, which makes it relevant to WW1 and the Christmas Truce specifically. It seemed to go well with this thread in any case.

from-a-textbok-on-tobacco-by-carl-werner-1918.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.