Would you pay full retail for a pipe if it was not exact to what you want?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am working on a 7 day set of group 5 bent english bulldogs. Problem being is there are not that many English makers that will do custom work today. I have been in contact with upshall trying to see if they can do a group 5 with a tapered stem and they have a Tilshead and a a grade with a saddle stem but cant get a tapered stem. I really dont like saddle stems on Bent bulldogs. Would you pay the price for a new pipe and try to have it restemed without the markings?

Tilshead

Upshall a grade

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
I don't understand your question. Are you saying the seller should discount it because you would choose to have it restemmed? If that is what you are saying, no you should not expect a discount.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
No not at all. I am asking would you buy the pipe and pay full price from Upshall and get a new stem made without the markings or would you pass and forget about the brand accepting that you will not get one to your spec?

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
BTW I have a ferndown that has a saddle stem and I really dont like it. Will probably get a new stem made for that one without the markings.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would not consider purchasing a pipe I didn't desire. I'm a smoker, not an investor, when it comes to tobacco and related products. I suppose you could do as you suggest, restem the pipe. If that would satisfy, do it.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
A seven day set representing the work of seven different makers? I'd want the pipe as the craftsman envisioned it.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Depends on your objective. Do you want all the pipes to be the same (look & feel) even if that means you compromise their value by having them re-stemmed or do you want to have a set that is maker correct? Once you answer that question the solution should be clear. Another alternative is to build a set that incorporates several different finishes by the makers that offer what you like. A high quality stem can be had for about $75 made to your specifications. The problem is likely to be the makers mark. Low demand for certain brands makes it unlikely the repairman is willing to invest the money for the stamp knowing it not going to bring any return. I'm told they go in excess of $150 each. The answer probably rests in the long term objective. Is it your pleasure or the value of the set. My seven day set is all one manufacturer same pipe, different finishes see below:

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I have thought about all same maker but different finishes. Problem I ran into is most of the British makers only offer a few finishes. Ferndown offers 3 with one combination, Northern Briars offers 5, Ashton offers 4 I think. Dunhill offers the most but no longer make the 5108 or very rarely make the 5108. My goal was to get 7 Brit bent Bulldogs in pretty much the same group 5 size since I cant get all from one maker then it has to be from several. I had this back in 2005 but sold them when I met my wife back in 2010 and now getting a divorce. Wish I had never sold my pipes. I had an amber root, bruyere, chestnut 5108's by dunhill, 3 Ferndowns 3* one bark, one root, and one reo, and one Taylor made custom Ashton Sovereign.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I love them and I wouldn't change a thing, but that's not answering your question. No, I would not buy them at any price if I they weren't what I wanted. Sometimes the fun is in the hunt, but then again, I don't know how long you've been hunting.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
If Bary Jones was not retiring I could get a new stem made from Upshall lol and it would not be a problem. I have talked to Mr Craig and having a brindle being made, Mr walker is making another pipe for me in a red Regal finish. That will make 4. I will try to get Mr Wood from Ferndown to make me two more pipes again one in bark and one in reo. If that happens I will only need one more and was hoping for an Upshall or a smooth dunhill 5108.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Estate for the 5108 is not a problem. Just cant find any lol. Hell if I could remember who I sold my 3 to I might be able to buy one back.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I think part of the fun about collecting (anything, not pipes) is maintaining some sort of active constraint... be it that all items have the original stem or whatever.
in the end, you set your own criteria.. so enjoy... or start a collection of "criteria seconds" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.