PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I doubt it will have ,made the news in America, but there is currently a huge scandal going on here in the UK. A government department did some spot checks and found horse DNA in a whole load of different burgers and TV dinners. It seems some crooked meat producers have been stretching out beef by adding horse then selling on the minced meat to various big brand name food producers.

Aug 1, 2012
I've voluntarily eaten some different bugs, raw fish and some other pretty strange stuff like Eskimo ice cream so yeah. Yeah I would.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In Holland horse meat is eaten and liked, we had a neighbor from there and what she missed was her horse meat, the only thing that ever grosed me out was monkey on a spit looked like a little baby, found some grubs under bark and had me a meal, the monkeys hands looked like a little baby , No Way Hosay. The old cajun

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
There's nothing really nasty about horse meat. However, some of the drugs and steroids given to horses nowadays really aren't good for you. But if they were produced to eat then this wouldn't be an issue (or as big of one anyway).

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Yes but not this one.... :)
MrEd.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Sure why not! But I didnt know there was such a shortage of cows. There are a ton of stray cats running around though!!!HMMMMM!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've eaten a heck of s lot of meat, and a lot of weird game. Never eaten horse (to my knowledge). But probably would (even as a horseman). However, I prefer to know what type of meat I'm eating (in advance).

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It made the news kind of. I read that IKEA was serving burgers with the contaminated meat in them lol. yum :)

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
It's meat. If it came down to it, I'd call it dinner. I've eaten dog before (had a good friend in college from Benguet; it's cultural cuisine for them). Although the idea eating a potential pet left me a bit unsettled, the meat itself wasn't bad at all.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The main problem with mass produced (or illicitly produced) horse is that there is often bute in the meat. That's a function of mostly older-/sicker animals being sent to slaughter.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'd at least give it a try. Once on an elk hunt one of the other hunters brought along some mountain lion steaks and they were yummy.

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
I'd have to say my answer would be it's conditional. What's the situation, etc. etc.. Regularly though, I'll have to bow out on this one, I just have a feeling it would feel far too much like cannibalism to me with all of the horses I know and have come to love in my time. I must admit though, I have a few horsehide holsters that are some of the best leather I own so I guess I'm a hypocrite at heart. So I'll just stick with maybe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.