Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Worlds view of pipe smokers. This is NOT why I smoke a pipe.

(65 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by maineyachtie
  • Latest reply from keith929
  1. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

http://societyofburnedlives.blogspot.com/2011/12/excursus-pipe-as-rhetorical-artifact.html

Apparently this is how the world views us modern pipe smokers. The author submits the viewpoints as "subculures of geekdom."

I smoke a pipe because I enjoy connecting with history, practicing a once dying art form, and because it's just a very pleasant disconnect from modern life.

Read the article and tell us why YOU smoke a pipe.

Edit: Made link to the actual individual post, rather than the home page for easier future reference and commenting on the post. - Kevin

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Apparently this is how the world views us modern pipe smokers."

Not the world, just the author.

Actually I think there's a nugget of truth here. If there's a pipe featured anywhere in pop culture, there's always SOMEONE who "MUST" have that pipe. It's a bit geeky, but there's nothing terribly wrong with that.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

I smoke for the aroma, the flavor, and the nicotine hit that I find relaxing. It doesn't go any deeper than that for me.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. havanarick

havanarick

Login to Send PM

what you said radio807, It's the Zen man!

"The best place to smoke a pipe is under a no smoking sign"
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First and foremost I smoke for the nicotine. A pipe rather than a cigarette.
    Flavor, mood, ritual etc. are secondary.

Interesting article though.

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the real question is, why has pipe smoking become so unusual in modern times? The answer(s) to that, imo, lie in the aspects of modern society that have become neurotic and dysfunctional, but are not recognized as such because they are now mainstream norms.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. irishsmoker

irishsmoker

Login to Send PM

+1 Brian64

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

@Brian64: Well put. That is another draw of pipe smoking for me. I recognize how neurotic society is; how commercially focused society is. Having a pipe sticking out of my head is a way to disassociate. For me this disassociation isn't so much a public stand as it is a signal to myself that I refuse to belong to said society.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking pipes for 40+ years. I don't pay a damned bit of attention to these pointy headed intellectuals and their psycho-babble about why some one chooses to smoke a pipe. I don't want to be part of a subculture, I don't want to be cool, I don't want to be hip. I want to enjoy what I enjoy in peace. Thanks for letting a crusty, grumpy old curmudgeon rant.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't want to be cool

me neither. But it is a burden I bear faithfully.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. thebadkitty

Steve

Login to Send PM

I rediscovered smoking pipe almost two years ago, after an unsuccesful first pouch in the mid 80s when I was in my late teens (Middleton's Apple...from my uncle). I've devoured info about it since, and even though I've been smoking other pipes for most of my life I've learned some about smoking tobacco pipes, most of which points to the fact that I have put myself on a quest that will last the rest of my life. Awesome! I should have started smoking pipe instead of cigarettes back when I was 21 (I started when I quit doing coke, but as you see I didn't really quit anything, just traded one addiction for another...what the heck, they helped me stop).

After almost a quarter century of smoking tobacco, I liked it for the first time instead of just feeding the iron grip of cigarette addiction. I'm still trying to completely give up cigarettes but have cut way down and have found after trying to quit them several times over the years that it's not so much the nicotine, which I am addicted to, but the additives that have me so damn hooked. That's a whole lotta other discussions there. Haha...stir that bowl.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pipe. The smell and look as it wafts up out of the bowl, the taste on my lip, on my tounge, in my mouth. The smell as it passes out through my nose. The taste I'm left with after I've done it more properly, which began happening more and more often, and started to last longer with the more I learned, and THAT makes me hungry to learn more and get even closer to that Grail of a single smoke (honestly, I hope I never get there. Almost there, but not quite...this quest should never end). I am NOT a poetry man (haha), but f**k me, I really GET the lines I have come across.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

me neither. But it is a burden I bear faithfully.

Yeah, right.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always been enthralled with history, since I was little I always wanted to smoke a pipe, its what respectable gentleman do. So thats why I started

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@maineyachtie: Yes, I feel basically the same way. As Bob Dylan put it in "Highlands" from 1997, "I feel further away than ever before."

@dgerwin11: Yes, your feelings and perspective are a perfect example, because they are rooted in the past when said neurotic dysfunctions were not the standard norm of every day life.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking pipes for 40+ years. I don't pay a damned bit of attention to these pointy headed intellectuals and their psycho-babble about why some one chooses to smoke a pipe. I don't want to be part of a subculture, I don't want to be cool, I don't want to be hip. I want to enjoy what I enjoy in peace. Thanks for letting a crusty, grumpy old curmudgeon rant. [quote]

Thanks, I couldn't have said it any better!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. annapolispipes

annapolispipes

Login to Send PM

@maineyachtie

as it is a signal to myself that I refuse to belong to said society.

Beautiful! Well said.

Per Aspera Ad Astra - "Through hardships to the stars"
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow they left out a whole group of pipe smokers.....Hillbillys. Not really being funny here Hipsters do it to look cool and to show off who has the most expencive pipe or blend. Intellectuals hwith pipes started when pics of enstine came out with a pipe. I have one inadated hippy friend who says when he was in collage all his profesors had pipes even if they didnt smoke them they would sit on the desk or hang from the mouth.
    Most of the people talked about in the artical in my oppinion are going to be a passing fad.
    Now I did bring up Hillbillys now I aint talking about a good ol boy redneck. I am talking true moutian folk like my best (female) friend is married to. They live in a true hand built log cabin (not one of these modren log cabin style houses you see) in the Appalachian Mountains. To these people the pipe is a way of life a way of life brought forth by our founding fathers one of hard work and decation. To these people after a day of hard work none of would ever think of doing sitting on the porch after dinner with the wife kids and dog is one of lifes best pleasures. Yeah they have it fugered out.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a pipe, cigars and cigarettes I also enjoy the occasional cigarillo. I enjoy smoking but honestly in the last couple of years cigs have just become a simple way to deliver nicotine when I am on the move. My pipes and cigars and yes the occasional cigarillo (Alta Gracia or Erin Go Bragh) are for my mellow moments and as a matter of fact they help create the mellow for the moment. Do I smoke a pipe to be hip? nope especially considering that most of my pipe smoking is done in my garage along with the used to be once a morning at work people are gonna have to swing by the house to witness my hipness. I smoke because I enjoy it no psycho babble analyzing needed.

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 7 years ago #
  19. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

@lifeon2:

no psycho babble analyzing needed.

May we take it then, that we should NOT call you Herr Doctor of Psychology??

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. romanza10

romanza10

Login to Send PM

Below is what I posted to that fellows blog as a response. I feel it's pretty level headed. Just my thoughts:

I am a pipe smoker. I smoke not because of a movie, books, or some hipster sub culture. I took up the pipe to stop smoking cigarettes. And it has worked. Not only is it cheaper, the quality of tobacco is light years away from what you find in cigarettes. That and I enjoy smoking, and being a "pipe nerd" with my friends who also are pipe smokers.

But it was not a "cultural thing" as your blog puts it, it was economics and nicotine delivery . The initial investment in a good quality pipe can be expensive, or it can be really cheap like getting a corn cob for 10$. As far as tobacco, there are as many options as you can almost imagine and taste and price for any one who should choose to pursue it.

Then the way pipes are smoked is different from cigarettes, you don't purposely inhale the smoke. Granted, you will from time to time, and you are still being exposed to smoke, but the quality of the leaf and how often one smokes is a lot different. I may get two bowls a day, and it does require some effort, but it subdues my nicotine addiction and is a pleasant experience. Almost like ritual, that the sake of doing it is satisfying. Where as a cigarette is, all now, now, now!

And that's why I smoke a pipe.

For the love of all that is sacred, please do not microwave your tobacco.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  21. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Those douchebags and hipsters will never understand the tranquility and joy of sitting alone on a couch and smoke a nice full bowl of Frog Morton on the Bayou

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most annoying thing about the article is that the author thinks Sherlock Holmes and Lord of the Rings are movies. That is why he does not understand pipes.

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@romanza10, mushjoon & simnettpratt: All well said!

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. romanza10

romanza10

Login to Send PM

Thank you brian64.

I would suggest that some of you dust of your gmail accounts, and log in to Google and reply directly to the blog author as I did. Let him know that there are "legit" pipe smokers out their in the world. Not just a bunch of "me toos" swayed by bad movie renditions or what ever happens to be hip.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

koalamonster

Login to Send PM

I picked up pipe smoking as an alternative to cigarettes. None of my friends smoke so already I stood out among them. Pipe smoking just added to that. I enjoy the collecting aspect of it too. As a younger boy I collected trading cards, and then coins as I grew older. It is extremely enjoyable.

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is correct I am only Herr Doctor of Pipes.

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

Well, ya see...I've got this great big red beard, and it comes with certain responsibilities...

I've always enjoyed the smell of pipe tobacco and it was something that I had been thinking over for quite some time. I would find myself buying cheap OTC cigarillos for camping trips or nights of drinking/debauchery. But I'd smoke 2/3rds of them and stub them out in disgust, as the taste soured and became unpalatable. I live in Canada and tobacco ain't cheap here, so it always seemed a waste.

I decided that if I was going to smoke tobacco, it may as well be something I enjoy! So, I got a $25 pipe and paid a visit to the local B&M tobacconist. I'm quite glad I did. I've since acquired another few ounces and 2 estates. Now I'm just waiting for spring to really get here. Luckily, it's been a warm February & March so I've gotten a dozen smokes in, and am looking forward to more.

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I don't pay a damned bit of attention to these pointy headed intellectuals and their psycho-babble

You got that right! I just always thought that Meerschaums were cool and wanted to try one. I figured even if I didn't take to pipe smoking, I could keep it around as art. That was about 10 pipes ago! I smoke mainly alone and in the company of my wife, so I don't do it to look cool and I doubt that I've ever been hip. I do smoke in public, but I only take my pipe out if I know I'll have the time to sit and enjoy it. That's what it's always been about for me.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  29. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

My grandfather was a pipe smoker, he'd roll up a PA smoke but when he got a chance to just sit in peace he loaded his pipe. I was always fascinated with the different ones he had. And about a year ago he gave them to me (he quit years before) before he passed away. My first pipe in the morn is out of his cob and my before dinner pipe is out of his Meer, his pipe that he took to work is my pipe i take to work. (Its a Brylon "ThePipe" not to worried about anything happening to it lol)

So, I enjoy the peace it gives me the same way it was given to him. With a little help from Prince Albert, my all day smoke.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

Deithial, that is a very touching story.

Posted 7 years ago #
  31. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never thought much about it. Maybe I was a pipe smoker in a past life? Either way, in 1975 I picked up my first pipe to try it out. Been puffing ever since. Seemed like the natural thing to do at the time. And I suspect I will still be doing it when it falls out of fashion again.

Posted 7 years ago #
  32. auspipe

auspipe

Login to Send PM

I am only 20 and smoke a pipe simply because I enjoy the finer things life has to offer and enjoy the period of relaxation. The variety of tobaccos and pipes available makes for a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby. I only smoke a couple of times a week. Society these days is too fast paced and everyone is thinking about themselves and not others. I hate it, I dont even use things like facebook because I value traditional methods of communication and found it to be incredibly superficial.
    Sadly though there really is no pipe community in Australia. I have one other friend that smokes a pipe but the lack of availability and incredibly high prices means most people who smoke use cancer sticks.

Posted 7 years ago #
  33. bryanhayn

bryanhayn

Login to Send PM

I've never been one to follow popular groupthink. I've always questioned everything anyone tells me; I'm a major cynic. I guess that's part of why I smoke a pipe. The reason I started smoking about a month ago wasn't to be cool/popular/unique/etc., it was because out of nowhere I was reminded of a time back in the 7th grade when me and a friend borrowed his grandpa's pipe and snuck away to smoke it. We were naughty rebels, and I guess smoking a pipe now reminds me of that, also I just love the flavor and relaxed mood it puts me in. When I thought of that time, I walked two blocks to the local B&M and bought myself a pipe and knew right away I would be doing this for a while. I'm still hesitant to smoke a pipe in crowded public places, which may be due to me having anxiety and being an extreme introvert, but I'm slowly getting more and more comfortable.

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. chopz

chopz

Login to Send PM

i see nothing wrong with being labeled a geek if it means i "avidly follow" anything i do. what good is a life if one doesn't pursue one's interests with passion?

i too smoke a pipe to get away from cigarettes. i'm still angry at the government and the tobacco companies for all the money they swindled from me through smoking cigs.

as for society being "neurotic": culture now is what it always has been. we're not smarter or living longer, any more than we are more insular or scared, than the average of the past history of the human race. maybe the methods of staying mainstream change, and the fringe groups look different, but that's about it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

What a closed head that guy has! What is NOT 'geeky'? Being a baseball fan? Being a bit of an expert on British two seat roadsters? Being really good with a camera? Maybe the author needs to get a life and get some 'geeky-ness' himself!

Posted 7 years ago #
  36. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well... I wrote out a nice comment but the dude's setting for who can post SUCKS. I tried signing in to blogger - didn't work. I tried my WordPress account... nope.

I was going to invite him to come here and meet some real pipe smokers who vary greatly. If someone can manage to get a comment to post, can you do that?

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  37. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my comment that I luckily copypasta'd before his site decided it hates me and my accounts.

I smoke a pipe - and I'm a girl, a geek, and one of the first generation of computer nerds. However, those have nothing to do with each other. I don't smoke a pipe because I identify with a subculture and I've never seen the movies you reference. (I'm a bookworm and not a fan of movies.)

I smoke a pipe for the same reasons tobacco has been used as an herbal cure through every major culture in the world throughout history. It calms you, gives you a ritual of packing, lighting, and puffing that makes you make less rash decisions. It's like meditating, but you smoke the results. Native Americans used it as a peace offering, the Chinese used it to treat phantom pain in amputees, and in more recent history - mothers have used it to draw the poison out of bee stings and it was often prescribed for people with auto-immune disorders and bowel problems. Nicotine is a proven pain reliever.

As a lupus patient who is in chronic pain and fighting the malar rashes, I have a vested interest in anything that helps me survive long enough to raise my children. The medication I was on left me constantly sick and my wallet was sorely hurt. My husband restored and sold antique pipes and I started researching pipe tobacco. Did you know that it contains 499 fewer chemicals than cigarettes? It comes in tens of thousands of blends and flavors. You don't inhale pipe smoke - you absorb the nicotine through your salivary glands and the pain relief is instantaneous. The rashes that plague me now very rarely make an appearance. My great-grandmother also had an auto-immune disease and she used snuff from the time she was 8 years old and after lived a very productive life that ended at 88 years old. Tobacco was a last resort that her uncle gave her on her (supposed) death bed at 8 years old. Since I started smoking, I found out my grandfather did as well and now I have his pipes. My great-grandfather on the other side of the family did as well. The pipe connects me to my memories of them.

I'd invite you to come over to pipesmagazine.com and talk to our members. I'm not the only one with this sort of story. You'll find a friendly community full of people with a variety of interests who come together to discuss the art of pipe smoking. We do have some hipsters, we have some geeks, and we have a whole lot of "other."

Posted 7 years ago #
  38. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm not going to prevent that the literary touchstones mentioned in the article don't in some way affect how I perceive or enjoy smoking a pipe, the bottom line is that I grew up in one of the few areas of the country where pipe smoking was still fairly common (East Tennessee). Until the last 3-4 years, there were always at least 5 or 6 B&Ms in this area, and almost all of the men in my family smoked pipes. When I started smoking cigarettes, it wasn't long until my father bought me my first briar as a birthday present. As soon as I got the hang of it and discovered how many different types of tobacco were available, I was hooked.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 7 years ago #
  39. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoever wrote that doesn't really understand the subject he/she is speaking on. First of all Holmes wasn't the only pipe smoker in the first Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes film. There was the gypsy lady in the alley, plus a number of guys puffing on clays at the boxing match just to name a few off the top of my head. Also I don't see why the writer only mentioned Holmes and Lord of the Rings when Cedric the Entertainer is never seen without his pipe in the movie Larry Crowne.

All ranting aside, I smoke a pipe because I love the flavor of the blends. It's a very relaxing, calming time that I really enjoy.

As for being a part of "geekdom", I'm a pipe smoker who plays ice hockey, reads books, loves listening to grunge/metal/hard rock/rap/country/and the Rat Pack, and I enjoy shopping for clothes for myself. If you want to try and pin me down to a geek, jock, musician, metrosexual or whatever good luck.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

This thread touched me. My post may be a confession or admission, or who knows?

I am not a cigarette refugee. Growing up in the fifties, it appeared everybody smoked. It looked to me that the pipe smokers seemed pleased with themselves. Cigar guys had a cloud preceeding their entrance, and the cigarette smokers always had their eyes half-closed to avoid the smoke-eye-burn from the ash-laden butt that vibrated when they spoke. The ciggies appeared a nervous, unhappy bunch. I surmised that the pipe guys knew some secret for serenity, as they appeared well-adjusted and confident. So, pipe-smoking went on my bucket-list.

At age 65, my term-life insurance policy expired. (here's the confessional part) It had a stipulation against smoking. I wasn't going to let an insurance investigation forfeit wifey's payout. That factored with the whacky notion I now "looked-the-part" I gave pipeing a try.

My benefits from it? Foremost, the serenity. There is also a beneficial self-indulgence factor with tobacco selection and procurement. Being more relaxed, I read more. I tend to reminisce more than before; pleasant memories. A puff before meals suppresses appetite just enough to have shrunk the love-handles. Coffee tastes better when accompanied by a puff. I smoke moderately, only outdoors, and don't inhale. Perhaps I am just a dabbler with this. Only ankle-deep, it feels right. I come here to contribute and learn. I rarely argue conflicting opinions, though.........my pipe won't let me.

Posted 7 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

mano

Login to Send PM

I'm a Ph.D. clinical psychologist who, in addition to a child, family and adult practice, does a fair amount of forensic work and expert testimony. In other words, the resident psycho babble pinhead. It was interesting that the article based most of the opinions on fictional media and stereotyped groups, like hipsters. No real interest in the 98% (that's a made up number) of regular folk who smoke pipes.

I smoke pipes because it's relaxing. A good alternative to cigars. Pipes smell better to other people and are great for a short smoke.

My 20 year-old son and his college friends smoke pipes. They're not hipsters, just young adults who enjoy pipes on the back deck while chewing the fat. He turned me on to pipes a few months ago after I gave them up for about 30 years. Glad he did. We trade tobacco and pipes.

There's not a whole lot more to pipe smoking, to me at least. It's a nice repast.

If my son's friends are any indication, I predict pipe smoking will grow in popularity over the next five years. Just like cigar smoking.

Posted 7 years ago #
  42. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've re-read the blog a couple of times.
    I fail to see any reason for anyone to take umbrage with the subject matter as presented.
    A pleasant light read of one persons observations of the pipe as it presents in pop-culture today.

Relax and smoke a bowl folks (-:

Posted 7 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

"I'm a Ph.D. clinical psychologist"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mano, your first sentence was a "grabber".

Posted 7 years ago #
  44. heraclitian

heraclitian

Login to Send PM

While people are running, I'm walking.
    While people are working, I'm sitting.
    While people are talking, I'm thinking.
    While people are worrying, I'm relaxing.
    While people are crying, I'm laughing.

While, while and while..

That's.

Something is worth a particular amount of money if owning it makes me feel happier.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  45. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

Great post Cyndi, just great.

Posted 7 years ago #
  46. deyro

deyro

Login to Send PM

I smoke pipes because it's relaxing. A good alternative to cigars. Pipes smell better to other people and are great for a short smoke.

That about sums it up for me.

I took up pipe smoking while I was deployed in Iraq. I was there in 2010, working in Public Affairs putting out a weekly publication. It was REMF work and it wasn't really dangerous, just a constant, steady grind, seven days a week. I wanted a way to take short breaks to clear my mind from time to time. I wasn't about to start smoking cigarettes and cigars have never really done much for me (except leave a taste in my mouth that make me regret smoking them for two days afterward), so I decide to give pipes a try.

It had nothing to do with pop culture, steampunk or rhetorical touchstones. It had everything to do with taking a break from the grind, watching the carp swim around in Saddam's man-made lakes and thinking about being somewhere else.

Posted 7 years ago #
  47. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started smoking a pipe when I went to college - in 1968 - because that was part of being a "college man" - or so I thought. I kept it up because I liked it.
    I made a side trip into the world of cigars for a period when I didn't have access to a B&M with a good selection of pipe tobacco, and I really wasn't aware of the whole mail-order thing going on. (This was pre-Web.) I returned to the pipe about 8 or 9 years ago. I still smoke a cigar now and then, but I enjoy the pipe more - and $50 goes a lot farther with pipe tobacco then it does with cigars.
    BTW, I have never smoked cigs - and don't intend to. It's all about the taste for me, not about the nic. I shy away from high nic blends, even though I might like the taste.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  48. brownbilliard

brownbilliard

Login to Send PM

As far as I am concerned, tobacco is wasted in cigarettes and most cigars. The flavors and sensations I’ve experienced through smoking pipe tobacco cannot be paralleled. It’s like stumbling upon a new food group.

Here in America, I am under the impression that pipe smoking has lost popularity due to its lack of "convenience". Why buy a pipe, pipe tobaccos a pipe tool and have to relight, stir and tamp your bowl when you can just pull a cig out of its carton and go? It’s so much more convenient! The same argument can be said about food: Why go out and buy local, organic beef? It’s expensive and takes time to cook! It’s much more convenient to hit up a McDonalds drive-thru and scarf a big mac. Movies - why go see something thought provoking and unique when you can go out and get convenient eye candy like X-men 9 or Mission Impossible 14?

If the media and big businesses can’t make immense profits off of something, they immediately ostracize it and send a message to the public that it should be ignored or even worse made fun of. It’s unfortunate, but that’s how life is sometimes. I’m just grateful to know better and be part of a like-minded group of people - you guys.

Posted 7 years ago #
  49. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Those ignorant bastards! Don't make me wax my moustache and put on my monocle!

Posted 7 years ago #
  50. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

@Baronsamedi

Don't make me wax my moustache and put on my monocle!

Here! Here! Let's all show the establishment what ho and wear monocles!

I think a nice thread featuring forum members sporting monocles is in order.

Posted 7 years ago #
  51. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People always try to "group" people into categories. I don't mind it at all if it somehow becomes "hip" to smoke a pipe. The more pipesmokers around the better. That is my take on it.

Face it, fellow board members, you are all hipsters.

Posted 7 years ago #
  52. heraclitian

heraclitian

Login to Send PM

I think for our generation (born after WWII) pipe smoking is a lifestyle, let say: cool and quiet style. That's enough for me to smoke pipes, when I decided to smoke something. Cigar smokers have their lifestyle - the bossy and/or macho style. Cigarette smokers have no style, because there are too many of them and smoking cigarette fits perfect with the rhythm of our modern society: hasty, hasty and hasty.

Posted 7 years ago #
  53. safaribob

safaribob

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I am the author of the blog post in question. I was a tobacconist at Just For Him for 13 years (1993-2006) before I went to graduate school. You may have even heard of some of my tobacco blends (I was known as Uncle Bob then).

I do not understand the outrage concerning my post! I am simply arguing that these movies and genres use pipes as rhetorical artifacts or touchstones to point to some certain purpose. For instance, I say that hipsters use pipes for specific purposes but I am not saying that all pipe smokers are hipsters--Lord knows that I am not!

Thank you for your interest in my post!

-SB

Posted 7 years ago #
  54. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

touche safaribob, touche

Posted 7 years ago #
  55. biloxi123

biloxi123

Login to Send PM

For me, first and foremost it's relaxing. Other things are the nostalgia, comraderie,and it's kinda outside the mainstream, like wet-shaving, which I also do!

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar! Sigmund Freud
    Posted 7 years ago #
  56. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

@safaribob

I do not understand the outrage concerning my post!

Dear Sir,

Welcome to the forum.

I do not think most of us here at pipesmagazine forum are outraged concerning your blog post. The majority of us are simply having a mull over your article. You should be proud to have stimulated so much thinking.

If I may be so bold, my disagreement is with the implications found in your article. Not with its direct thrust.
    I believe the point of your post was to provide touchstones, defined by Webster as "a fundamental or quintessential part or feature" which point to why, “pipes are cropping up more lately in film and public consciousness"(safari bob). You argue that whether or not the inclusion of a pipe in a media form is intended to cater to the interests of a particular subculture, it acts as a symbol which cannot be viewed without a response in thought or action by the audience. With this I agree. As you say, "pipes can set the mood of a scene, sell the authenticity of a character, identify with a specific genre or world." These outcomes alone are enough to define the use of a pipe in media as a rhetorical artifact. Successfully using a pipe in a film as a rhetorical artifact does not necessitate that the viewer will act on any of the thoughts, or subconscious impressions, which he was manipulated/stimulated to think. Therefore, it does not follow that the resurgence of actual pipe smoking can be attributed to the use of pipes in film, or books. This becomes obvious when you realize that pipes have been included in film and literature consistently in a long and unbroken chain of amicability. The symbol is simply being publicly recognized in a large way recently. I believe the current popularity of the art of pipe smoking should be contributed to factors outside of media. More likely factors may include: the recent economic downturn, the dissatisfaction with modern lifestyle and commercialism, a desire to recapture a simpler life, and a need to connect with our progenitors.

Forum members who have posted to this thread are simply converging in conversation to suggest common reasons and explain personal motivations for joining the pipe culture.

May you enjoy many happy bowls.

Best Regards,

Alex

Posted 7 years ago #
  57. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This man Alex is spot on.

My main grouse was that I couldn't post directly to your site. I think what many of us are saying is that smoking a pipe is not just iconic in pop culture - it is actually a very real culture with a plethora of motivational factors. Trust me, we see the hipsters wondering why their clay Gandalf prop pipe they got for $9 off eBay doesn't smoke well... (actually, I see that more on Reddit along with r/trees wondering if putting green in briar is ok.) We try to encourage adults around here no matter the association they have with a pipe.

I have seen the same discussion among Christians and the use of the cross in public iconography. Pop culture uses it one way but to the true believers, it is something else entirely. Then critics get involved and false correlations are made and suddenly everyone is mad. Another example is Larry the Cable Guy. He's a charicacature of a redneck, not a representation of rednecks. Real rednecks laugh at him at times but if someone thought they knew all about rednecks because they were fans, there would be an... emotional outcry. Does that make sense?

On another note, movies require a suspension of disbelief and it's hard sometimes to see something so integral to your lifestyle used as a mood setting in a work of fiction and then have the fiction cited as the reason for the lifestyle's popularity. One of the first things we teach our children is the difference between real and unreal because the human brain needs that. The pair of pipes next to my bathtub are real, LotR is not. Do I think it's cool that pipes are being seen on the big screen? Yes. Do I think that some avid pipe smokers are born due to that? Yes. Do I believe that is true for the majority of people who take up the pipe? No. That would be like saying I wear glasses because Harry Potter is cool.

Posted 7 years ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

"....economic downturn, the dissatisfaction with modern lifestyle and commercialism, a desire to recapture a simpler life, and a need to connect with our progenitors."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Add retirement boredom, and Hey!....That's me!

Posted 7 years ago #
  59. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@safaribob: Way to man up and post here bro! You are completely welcome here. I did not know you are a tobacconist and know more about pipe smoking than me; you obviously scored a bunch of points with that one. I don't think any of us were outraged, though we did get a little stirred up.

I hate movies, and you touched on a nerve referring to Sherlock Holmes and LoTR as movies and not books. What I was forgetting was, both the books and the movies are fictional, and therefore art. I was being snobby in a bad way, and I am sorry.

I just watched the entire FOUR HOUR Return of the King movie, and that is a good movie. It did annoy me that they changed every scene and all the dialog to ensure the movie was not like the books, but both are fiction, and I don't have the right to judge. Welcome to the site, and may your second post get half the attention your first one did!

Dave.

Posted 7 years ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

mano

Login to Send PM

safaribob,

First and foremost, a warm welcome to pipes magazine forum.

Thanks for writing the article, which you obviously put a lot of thought into. You clearly have impressive pipe credentials. That means a lot.

After re-reading your article, it's easier to see that you're commenting on a slice of pipe smokers including "...fans of both Sherlock Holmes and LOTR represent niche groups or subcultures of geekdom (a collection of people who avidly follow and/or consume a certain genre or hobby) that have simply edged closer to mainstream consciousness..."

Okay, I can buy that and I should have taken more time and effort to understand your point.

I don't see outrage re: your article, but some annoyance that when it comes to some of us regular smokers, you not only missed the boat, but created an unnecessarily complicated craft to replace it. In other words, the article didn't seem to be written by a pipe smoker.

Don't let anyone here deter you. Please keep on writing and sharing your thoughts with us.

Posted 7 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

Welcome, safaribob.

How did you discover that your words were being dissected here?
    Were your ears ringing, a google, or a tipoff by a member?

(I would have inserted a "smile" emoticon, but I don't know how to do that)

Posted 7 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

xoibsurferx

Login to Send PM

I smoke a pipe because its relaxing and I really enjoy trying different tobacco's and enjoying the ones I like. I enjoy everything from cleaning the pipe to packing the pipe and everything in between.

Posted 7 years ago #
  63. safaribob

safaribob

Login to Send PM

---------
    @cyndi

I am sorry that you were not able to post directly to the site! I read your comment here and I would love to have it as a response on the blog. I am not sure why you were not able to post it. When I post responses, I log in with my gmail account.

"I think what many of us are saying is that smoking a pipe is not just iconic in pop culture - it is actually a very real culture with a plethora of motivational factors."

Of course! I am saying that various cultural groups are using pipes differently than the "normal" pipe smoking culture (which is itself varied as you can see from the posts in this thread). However, each day I get 3-50 "hits" or "reads" on this post from people using google while searching for "lotr+pipe" or "Sherlock Holmes pipe" (as examples). This is far more than those who read my few tobacco or pipe reviews on the site. Of course, this could speak to the quality of my reviews!

------
    @maineyachtie

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful response!

------
    @simnettpratt

Thank you for your welcome!

If you look on the post, I actually cite a section from The Red-Headed League which is print.

------
    @mano

Thank you for your thoughtful comments!

"In other words, the article didn't seem to be written by a pipe smoker."

That's low.

------
    @bobby46

Hello!

I was working on a post for my mead blog and I noticed a spike in traffic. Blogger.com has tools that tracks traffic from Google searches (with key words) from various browsers and direct links. With this information on web traffic, I discovered my post is being discussed on two different pipe forums: This thread and http://www.pipesmokerunleashed.com/forum/showthread.php?846-The-Pipe-as-Rhetorical-Artifact

Posted 7 years ago #
  64. safaribob

safaribob

Login to Send PM

After I responded above, I took a screen shot of the keywords people used to find posts on my blog in the last hour:

See what I mean, cyndi?

Posted 7 years ago #
  65. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started smoking a pipe when I was 17. My mother even though she was a cigarette smoker herself did not want me to smoke cigs. She gave me a couple of no name leather covered pipes that I still cherish to this day. Now at the age of sixty I still say proudly "I AM A PIPE SMOKER". As we say in NJ "whatyougottaproblemwiththat?

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, ben88, renfield, szconrad, paulfg, upnorth1, canadianpuffer, pipesmoker30, hoosierpipeguy