PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Bell's Three Nuns ... as it used to be, not as it is today or even as it was for a number of years before it went away completely before it's re-incarnation last year ...

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Depends on what you like. Do you like fruity perique or spicy? Do you like your Virginias bright, sweet, sour, what?
For me, I always say GLP Fillmore. But there are plenty of great VA / perique blends out there that I haven't yet tried.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The best, in my opinion, is Escudo.
But here's a list I posted on another thread:
Round One:
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake: mild, delicious VaPer. Easy on a beginner, but satisfies even the most discerning VaPer addict by just getting better with age.
Rattray's Marlin Flake: sweet Virginias and the plummy side of Perique.
Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake: for a great introduction to VaPer hybrids.
Robert McConnell Scottish Cake: great intro to what Kentucky can add to a VaPer. Perfectly balanced constituent tobaccos.
Escudo: perfect balance. Not too strong. Just strong enough. Gorgeous Virginias, just the right amount of Perique. The gold standard.
Round Two:
GL Pease Haddo's Delight: the next level of VaPer hybrid. Some would say the Holy Grail.
GL Pease Cumberland: like Scottish Cake but kicked up a few notches.
McClelland St James Woods: VaPer meets McClelland signature Virginia tang.
GL Pease Fillmore: Delicious, creamy, Perique-forward broken flake.
Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake: plummy, stewed-fruit Perique with tangy Virginias. Needs a bit of age to reach full glory. Some members here stock it. Some members here hoard it
Round Three:
GL Pease Cairo: Perique, meet Orientals.
Frog Morton on the Bayou: Perique, meet English
310* Battleground: Perique, meet aromatic
Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique: hybrid deliciousness
Peterson Irish Oak: hybrid deliciousness
Round Four:
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding: Perique, meet English kitchen sink.
Pipeworks & Wilke No.13: Perique, meet American-English
GL Pease Barbary Coast: Perique, meet cubed cut burley.
McClelland Beacon Extra: Perique blast, meet McCelland Virginia blast.
GL Pease Telegraph Hill: some are overwhelmed, others underwhelmed.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I don't have a lot of experience per say, but what I can add, seeing that it hasn't been, I will. Davidoff Flake Medallions is a a VaPer coin-cut blend with a Cavendish disk in the middle. I don't know how this ranks with the VaPer aficionados, but I rarely see it mentioned. I liked it, anyway.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
lostandfound, that's a great blend. I didn't include it in my list above because I believe it to be the same blend as Luxury Bullseye Flake, produced as it is in the same plant with the same equipment and, I believe, the same tobaccos. But that's a compliment. Whether I'm correct or not, both are outstanding blends and among my favorites.
elpfeife, while more controversial, I believe Navy Rolls are the same as Escudo - again, produced at the same place, with the same machinery, and with the same tobaccos. Though some disagree on this and find them different blends. Regardless, both are outstanding.
What a great array of choices we have: we are living in a Golden Age of pipe tobacco!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I would have to say that Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are my favorite.

If in the crowd that thinks DNR is slightly different from Escudo. In my opinion, DNR is more of a stewed fruit kind of Va/Per, whereas Escudo leans more towards the spicy side of things.

Both however, are top notch!
As for LBF and Davidoff FM, the jury is still out with me. I've been smoking those two, along with Comoy's Cask No. 7, side by side. So far the evidence points towards all three being very similar, if not the same. But I'm not quite ready to say for sure.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Escudo, Elizabethan Mixture, and Orlik Goleden sliced are my favorites, in descending order of strength.

Reactions: EddyTee

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm going to add McClelland's Bulk 2015 Virginia Perique Flake. Whenever the talk of VaPers come around Escudo, Deluxe Navy Rolls, Scottish Cake, and Bullseye Flake are inevitably mentioned. I look at 2015 as being the OTC of VaPers. It gets no respect. It is often overlooked especially when St. James Woods is mentioned. Once rubbed out and lit, it provides a nice clean taste. The perique is there is the background building up towards the end but never in your face like a madman. The Virginia is there like an old friend that you do not have to have a conversation with to enjoy their company. And when your done it doesn't hang out in your mouth for long spoiling the next baccy you may want later.
Yes sometimes you want something with a little more depth of flavor or a big perique bomb but sometimes a good simple smoke is where its at and 2015 provides just that in the VaPer catagory of pipe tobacco.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
In no particular order:
Escudo, 4noggins Prairie Wind, Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning, Blakeney's Acadian Ribbon (McClelland)**, GLPease Telegraph Hill, GLPease Stratford, Esoterica Dorchester, Esoterica Dunbar, Astley's #2 H&H Virginia Spice, H&H Louisiana Red ... PLUS, one that strictly speaking, isn't a VA/Per, but is quite VA/Per-esque ... Black Sea Sokhoum (McClelland Grand Orientals) -
** Kevin has said that this is one of only two blends that, to him, SMELLS like the place in Louisiana where Perique is processed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.